good schools, great instructors

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I've noticed a number of requests recently for recommendations on which bushcraft schools they should attend courses with.

Many people seem to have a strong preference for one particular bushcraft school, (often the school they did their first course with) though there are many excellent schools out there.

Some companies have gained an excellent reputation for a particular type service they offer such as Bushcraft expeditions and their range of overseas wilderness bushcraft courses, some schools have a distinct 'celebrity element' such as ray mears, 'woodlore' here in the UK and Tom browns, & 'Tracker school' in the US.

So I thought I would invite members to posts and let us know:

1. Which Schools have you attended courses with as an ordinary student.

2. Are there any particular instructors who you have studied under and whom you feel were exceptional and what did they did to gain this status.

no bad karma please :240: lets keep to positive comments only (if you’ve nothing good to say, say nothing)

Courses I have attended the as an Ordinary student (in chronological order):

Woodlander course with the Woodsmoke School (Lake district)

Winter wilderness living Skills course with Karamat (Canada)

Instructors who I feel have been exceptional are:

Ben McNutt and Lisa Fenton of woodsmoke, for the professionalism with which they run their courses, they are not only skilled in their subject, but they know how to teach it, and they are masters at time management, fitting an great deal of teaching into each day without the sensation of being rushed on the part of the student. They also possess exceptional generosity

Andy Wood of Bushcraft Expeditions another true professional, a master of the planning, administration and logistics required for the expeditions he organises and assists in. has earned a global reputation and possesses a contact network I would kill for. a very capable person.

Dave Goodworth of 'wildlife' (and now 'frontiers') for being one of the most natural teachers I have met, and his ability to put students into a state of ease in which they absorb knowledge without any of brow furrowing effort associated with learning. Just as magnificent with children as with as adults.

Mors Kochanski, for sheer quantity of wilderness wisdom that seems to surge forth from him like an unstoppable tide of knowledge, the awe inspiring level skills he demonstrates with anything that has a sharp edge and his incredible generosity. his students seem to learn by osmosis, until the pressure threatens to make their heads explode! Such is the effect that I once heard a fellow student remark during a course coffee break that he was "just off for a moment to stick his head in the snow till his brain cooled off". Also the most genuinely nice person I have ever met.

Patrick McGlinchey of Backwoods survival school with whom, regrettably, I have not yet spent any time in the wilds, for being a phenomenally skilled craftsmen of the highest order. Everything he produces is a wonder of functional art, which would look equally at home in a gallery as it does in the woods. A truly inspirational artisan

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Courses I have attended the as an Ordinary student (in chronological order):

Woodlore
Canoeing the Ardeche (France)
Woodsense
Fundemental Bushcraft
Primitive Technology
The Arctic Experience (Sweden)
Birch Bark
Camp Craft
Advanced Birch Bark

Instructors who I feel have been exceptional are:

The main reason I kept going back to Woodlore, Juha Rankinen.

Ray Mears, the guy that got me into everything I am now, changed my life 180 degrees, a wealth of knowledge and experience but a down to earth guy with it.

John and Val Lord - just two of the nicest people I have ever met, always ready to patiently guide you towards your goal, incredibly generous of their time and flint :) Always get a big hug and a kiss from Val bless her. Seeing them Sunday.

Lars Falt - just a man who truly and effortlessly embodies what so many of us are trying to aspire to.

Ian Maxwell - not a `bushcraft` course as such, but a Search and Rescue Trackers course. I have heard about it, but was still blown away by the guy, not only his ability and experience, but determination to have students see what he sees. Possibly one of the greatest eye openers in showing me how to use birch language (and concentric circles in general)

Lisa Fenton - I only met her a few times on courses etc and swift pub meet ups, but was very touched when I saw her instruct on a few occasions, incredibly patient.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've been on course with three schools now, Forest Knights, Bearclaw and a day course with Bushcraft expeditions.

All three of them had their merits and I enjoyed all of the courses very much. All run by a great instruction teams, and all very friendly.

So thanks to Wayne, Garrick and Steve who ran the course at Forest Knights; Gary, JP, Johan and of course Preben who ran the Vildmark course I attended with Bearclaw; and finally thanks to Andy, Jane and Karl who ran the flint knapping workshop with Bushcraft Expeditions.

I'm booked to attend two more advanced courses with Bearclaw over the next year as I found they style of instruction to be kind that I thrive from and feel that they had a lot to offer.

Also hope to book onto Bushcraft Expeditions primitive course with Karl Lee next year too if its still being run as unfortunatley I am busy this year.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Ditto Any - I am hoping to book on Bearclaw's W.E.I.S.S. course next year as I have heard that it is both a challenging and rewarding week very professionaly taught by both Preben and the Bearclaw instructors.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have found Tamarack Bushcraft to have excellent instruction, the lead instructor has a pretty vast aboricultural knowledge too to compliment his bushcraft teachings. I notice that they have implemented many new courses and changed them since I went on one a few years back; which can only be good.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Interesting thread to end an evening out..??! Wish I knew Mors..have to make do with his CD's and Dave G's always been an engaging character at the Gathering.

At Survival School, Jonny, Drew, & Karen moved me on from general outdoors experience to bushcraft applications and I very much appreciated their teaching methods and patience. After I'd been here a while I went to Sweden to meet Bearclaw for the first time and, what can I say...they moved me up another level with a combination of solid knowledge and knowhow blended with an unmatched gift of communation and a touch of "Essex" charisma thrown in...only the obtuse could fail to benefit. Recently Roger, Neil et al at Bison shared their own gifts and completely lived up to my expectations....long may they all prosper.

The popularity of Bison, Bearclaw and Survival School (in my own experience and I gladly accept the testimonials of others for schools they have experienced) is continually demonstrated by the positive feedback they all receive......and there are times when I'm dumbfounded that there are people around who fail to recognise the quality which is on offer.....;)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Make you right there.....the popularity of Ray Mears' series of programmes since the 90's has probably contributed in no small way to the growth of bushcraft forums and schools. Therefore we should all be grateful for the fact that that we can all share discussions about the good experiences we have discovered. There are very many gifted people out there who have given many of us great pleasure and it's good to be able to celebrate our different experiences.....:)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
As I said below...Jonny, Drew and Karen of Survival School showed thoroughness and patience, Gary and JP of Bearclaw demonstrate profound knowledge blended with a wealth of practical experience plus incomparable humour thrown in, while Roger, Neil and Co at Bison are masters of the subject and offer top quality training. I can't comment on people I haven't experienced but I commend ALL of those I have listed to anyone who wishes to take their bushcraft training to the next level..:)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
My recomendation would be Fenlander of Natural Lore.

I have learnt a lot from Kevin over the last few years. He has a wealth of knowledge covering many areas of bushcraft and is always learning new skills so as to pass them on.

I have been on a couple of his courses now and taken some of my colleagues from the Seacadets on one. They are all Mountain Leaders and were very impressed on the skills they learnt from him. In particular skills that are good for passing on to the kids.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have added Patrick McGlinchey to my original list, I cant believe I left him out, he certainly deserves a place.

However much we like an individual or establishment, could we please resist the temptation to post our recommendation for them more that once.

I'd also appreciate it if we could adhere to the format that Fallow way used, as it helps maintain continuity throughout the thread.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Leon Durbin of Wildwood is very knowledgable and patient,his is the only course I have been on so it`s diificult to compare to others ,but he get`s my vote.:)
Litefoot.

Just my experiences in short

1999 Woodlore (UK)
John Ryder, my first 'real life' BC teacher with my Fundamental Bushcraft Course, as opposed to the ones on telly, books etc.

2003 Lan Udang (Malaysia, Sabah).
Not a true school but the camp manager, who became a friend. A local guy in Sabah, at Uncle Tan who taught me alot how the orang sengai (river people) lived there and more in the Borneo jungle. We just got our parang and 'went walkabout' while he taught me...Afterwards they created the "camping add on module" course thingy.

2004 Staying Alive Survival Services, (Australia)
Nick & Dave, more about survival though then bushcraft but very knowledgeable and practical. Great tricks with finding and 'creating' water Down Under!

2004/2005 UBAT, Utan Bara Adventure Team (peninsular Malaysia)
Eddie Razali and his team members. For making people at ease in the jungle. Their motto: The jungle is neutral.

2007 Tornak (The Netherlands)
I took something like a quick refresher course in these NW European climates. John Schroder, a guy who looks at your comfort and experience level and adjusts accordingly. For me that was mostly the differences with hot humid jungle zones and the "cold" here (Acclimitized now).

So far for the schools & courses.
I was fortunate to learn a lot from my local guides. Wether (spelling?) they be Australian aborigines who told and tried to teach me 'off the record' or the Thai, Indonesia, Honduran and other natives I met.

Grtz Johan

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Heres My Take...

Roger Harrington from Bison is probably one of the most professional instructors I know hes courses are well balanced and well structured and of a good variety of themes, plus he makes damn sexy knives too :)

And Woody from Bushcraft Expeditions, Personally I think the guy is at the top of the heap his knowledge and professionalism is second to none, if you are thinking of a jungle trip BushEx and woody would be my first choice his jungle knowledge is second to none you would be wasting your money going with anyone else in my opinion. (thats my opinion)

Jeremy form Islay Birding is another, his enthusiasm for the natural world and bushcraft is amazing his knowledge of birds (not the Essex birds) is awesome so being a keen naturalist myself he's great and he is another guy who pulls out all the stops, and his wife and kids are awesome! if you have met them you will know what I mean.

Oh one thing I do make you right on is Patrick's work, not been on any courses with him but ive seen his handy work and writings and im impressed, top marks!

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I've only really done two courses as such
Fundamental Bushcraft was excellant and full on. Sadly Rays wife had died a few months before so we didnt see too much of him and I think it would be poor to judge him on quality. Annette Strider (Nettie) the chief instructor was just the tops - been doing it for a long while and quite simply was in love with the whole bushcraft thing. She has started up on her own now http://www.campfireskills.co.uk/ and I intend to spend some more time with her soon (oh errr missis).
Have to also endorse Jon and Val Lord for just about all the same reasons that everyone else does.

Cheers
Nick

leon-1

Sorry folks this is not in chronological order as my mind does not do the dates thing, it does however do the data thing, so here goes.

Schools

Bison Bushcraft. The basic Bushcraft course, it is well structured and taught. The learning environment that the course takes place in is good natured, without being lax, sets you at ease and the food supplied on the weekend is of the best quality that you can get.

First Aid training for Bushcraft. Once again a well structured and thought out course that is instructed confidently and patiently in a good learning environment.

Shadowhawk in conjunction with Survival School.Basic trackers course, is nicely sited and the instruction is enough for you to start to open your eyes and start using abilities that you would not normally use without suffering sensory overload. It is the first stepping stone on the ladder of tracking that moves you into the subject without overwhelming you with information.

The intermediate trackers course, sited in the same location, but in more depth and makes you work that little bit harder than the basic course. It is a satisfying course that starts to put into practice the abilities that you have expanded on since the first course and it works as a good natural progression.

Instructors.

Andy Wood, I first met in Namibia, he is a patient, softly spoken man that carries a quiet air of confidence, probably due to him being very much a case of "what you see is what you get". What you see is a man with a vast amount of knowledge and the ability to put it into practice. With that confidence also comes the ability to teach, there is no bluff in what "Woody" does. What you get is a top notch instructor that runs a very professional team with very well planned courses.

Stani Groeneweg, I think Stani has probably the most ability to be vastly underestimated in his work, he generally arrives when people are having problems and quietly and evenly advises and helps and then vanishes. With the advice and help that he gives he imparts knowledge normally that needs to be taught and seen rather than read and practiced. He is a very good part of the Bushcraft expeditions Team.

Joe O'Leary of Survival School is somewhat similair to Stani, he is a quiet and patient instructor who is extremely easy going.

Jonny Crockett, although Jonny will play to the crowd this masks the fact that he is a very determined instructor and that he takes enjoyment for what he teaches from seeing his students learn. His courses are well planned and executed.

Ian Maxwell, Max is dedicated to his art, his enthusiasm carries you along and when you start to see what he is seeing I think he is happier for you than you are.

Rhoda Whatkins, (Sorry Rhoda don't know your new last name) You cannot mention Max without mentioning Rhoda who's ability to teach is only matched by her love of the subject.

Dave Watson, one of the best at fire by friction that I have met, he is also a truly nice guy.

Jeremy Hastings, he's possibly one of the most interesting and knowledgeable people that you could wish to meet, his love for flora and fauna combined with his love of bushcraft makes him an excellent instructor. Jeremy is also a very likable man that you feel is more a friend than an instructor.

Steve Yates, a very good first aid instructor, he is patient and willing to allow students to work in a hands on fashion that you don't always get. Steve is also a Canadian Canoe coach at which he excels.

Roger Harrington, cut from a very similar chunk of granite to that which Andy Wood is cut from. On his courses you will get good solid instruction. He is quite a Jovial guy that is willing to answer questions and he also likes the "Hands On" approach to teaching, so you learn in a hands on fashion. Roger is a good guy and he delivers a good course.

Neil Andrews, now I would mention Neil, but he is my brother so that would be a little naughty so I am gonna do it anyway:D, Neil loves his subject and loves to pass on knowledge, if he wasn't doing it for Bison Bushcraft he would be doing it for someone else. Everyone that I have met say he's a nice guy, to me he's my brother:).

I think that's it until I have managed to get upto do a course with Backwoods Survival as from what I have seen of Patricks work he is more of an artisan than a craftsman.:)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I only did the Woodlore Fundamental course, with Woody as instructor - I fully agree with Leon.

Also met Neil, but not in his role as instructor. Had the honour to accompany him (and Leon) on a stroll on Dartmoor. His knowledge on plants is stunning and is an excellent bloke, and truely is a nice guy (and excellent chef)!

(Also learnt alot from Leon - who I consider as a very good friend - on various subjects :) He learnt me how to use an axe safe and confidently, more navigation skills, etc.)

<snip>
Instructors.

Andy Wood, I first met in Namibia, he is a patient, softly spoken man that carries a quiet air of confidence, probably due to him being very much a case of "what you see is what you get". What you see is a man with a vast amount of knowledge and the ability to put it into practice. With that confidence also comes the ability to teach, there is no bluff in what "Woody" does. What you get is a top notch instructor that runs a very professional team with very well planned courses.

<snip>

Neil Andrews, now I would mention Neil, but he is my brother so that would be a little naughty so I am gonna do it anyway:D, Neil loves his subject and loves to pass on knowledge, if he wasn't doing it for Bison Bushcraft he would be doing it for someone else. Everyone that I have met say he's a nice guy, to me he's my brother:).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have been fortunate to go on a few courses over the years some have been more enjoyable than others. A common theme on all the courses I have been on is that the instructors undoubtably knew their craft. What makes a course a great experience is the rapport you develop with the instructor team.

For example I have throughly enjoyed the tracking training I have had from Ian Maxwell. anyone that has met Max will agree he isa very charismatic man.

I have attended course with Jonny at the survival school. He is a great guy with a calm friendly approach that I really liked.

I have had the pleasure of attending a course with Leon1 and shared a fire with Neil on a few occasions. Their knowledge and professionalism is first rate therefore I wouldnt hestitate to recommend the courses they lead for Bison Bushcraft.

Dave G at Froniters is a fantastic patient teacher. He truely loves teaching and has a great depth of knowledge. I have had the pleasure of attending a couple of classes of his.

I have attended a number of courses run by Woodcraft School. John and the team have a good knowledge of bushcraft especially aboraculture.

Geoff formerly of Natural Pathways is a rare tallent and exceptional tracker.

The list goes on and on.

No longer teaching but a truely exceptional individual is Mr Sawabe of Tsukuba Japan. He taught me the texture and range of colours that a fuller understanding of the natural world can give. A rare talent in the martial arts and wilderness skills that no one has heard of.

How many of us have had the luck to meet these rare individuals that can touch the soul and take our lives into a new direction.

I thank all those instructors that have given their time and support over the years.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I haven't been on any schools yet, but I'll be starting with a 2 year school next month, in Sweden. The school is called Sjovik, and the course "Friluftsliv, hantverk, ledarskap" (free air life, handwork, leadership). I hope it will be good, but it seems so, with Lars Falt as one of the teachers. It is quite cheap at around 3500 euro for a whole year with food and sleeping included. But i think you need to be young to be able to join, as it's a "folkhögskola". Also I need to learn swedish! :p

The course is organized into 1-2 weeks trekking changed with 2-3 weeks on school (handwork, grouppsychology and other theory). On the school you can choose to live in a tipi, so that's what I'll do ofcourse.

http://www.sjovik.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=72

I know this thread goes about good schools you've been on, and I've gone a bit off topic with this now. But I'll update it and report how I like the school when I'm there, ok? ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cambrian Survival

Cambrian Survival (situated just outside of Aberwystwyth, Wales) is a very well run course.

The Chief Instructor is Mike Jarmain - He is very professional, approachable and knows his stuff.
Barney - was the other instructor on my particular course and he too was a good guy with plenty of knowledge.

Although this is predominantly a Survival School, they still teach other bushcraft skills such as the bush sauna which we used on my course.

All in all they have an extremely good set up, good location and good instructor base, and I would highly recommend this course to anyone.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Breakaway survival school
chrismas course 1995
Mick N tyler
Gary (RIP - a great bloke)
Geoff

I have also been on several club meets, and met Mr P McGlinchey and have to say that his shelter is more likt the Hilton than a backwoods camp!! it came complete with garden wall and picket fence!!

i believe that one of the guys from my course went on to instruct with Breakaway, a Dutchman by the name of Jan aka 2meters.

all top blokes.

just my 2penyworth
steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE