Good old axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
It turns out, that it has a lot to do with making process. The head is shaped like this when they put it under forging press to make a nail puller. It happens when the press chisel (don't know the exact word) becomes blunt. Dad said that this was a big problem, as they made loads of heads in one day and they had to sharpen those things all the time. But at the same time it is normal, that the head is facing a bit forward like we see on Dave's and Robin's example. Pic's coming later.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What process did you do to clean the axe up ? Because it looks like just out the box :)

Judging by this pic I would guess he used an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment.

3.JPG

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
What process did you do to clean the axe up ? Because it looks like just out the box :)

Just like Robin said ;)

I was cleaning up wood workshop to get it going again, and I found this example witch is the same kind of style but on a larger scale. This does look like your's referred "carpenters axe". So everything comes to it's place.

CIMG6162.JPG

CIMG6163.JPG

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Well, a good lesson about axes learned here! Thanks a lot everybody, your knowlege is great!

Robin, Dave, others that are interested in sharps, if you would like an example of this kind of axe, PM me.

IanGilroy_2

Jan 1, 2010
Purley Surrey
It looks abit like my grand farthers that he used to take out partition walls with. You go through the wall with blade take nails out with the notch (hand forged nails taper so you don't bend them), then knock them back in with the poll.
A very frugall man my grandad. (Thats the polite version of what my Farther used to call him)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
What do you think about the handle? These factory handles are too chunky for my grip. I want to slim it. But then I thought, maybe a bit of length could do as well??? What length do you like for your "carpenters" axe?

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I think you may want to keep the handles "chunky" if you are going to use the nail puller.
Pulling the handle sideways will develop a LOT of stress on a stubborn nail.
I would think that this sideways stress is why the handle is more of a square
profile than rectangular that we usually think of as "handle shaped"
However, if the handle is so uncomfortable you never use it, then a slimmer handle
is likely a better choice. How often are you going to pull nails with it?
A claw hammer or prybar is likely a better choice if you are going to pull lots of nails.

Just make sure to post pics if you do make another handle ;)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Well, never! :)
I have worked with my grandfather on some timber building projects and never ever used an axe to pull nails with. There are so many better tools to do the job. What I think I would use it for is: 1. Carving. I'm finishing a small workshop on weekends that i tend to use for bushcraft and woodworking projects. 2. As a forest axe to take out to the woods whenever the smaller axe I rehandled will not be enough.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I remember having an old carpenters axe that had a nail puller and a hammerhead as a poll... It might have been an "estwing or eastwing??)

Small pic but the head was identical to this
1_bcc014d2b7939e2a23453c3459df0fcb.jpg

Interesting thread this . I scooped up an axe head a couple of weeks ago identical the one above see pic below. Bought the handle about 3 stalls down at the bootfair here in France

axe.jpg

It's a carpenter's axe eh? Well that's nice since that's my trade anyway. :D Good point taken about using it to wrench nails out, I wouldn't, at least not with anything big for reasons already stated. I have a 12oz drywall Estwing hammer which has an axe head at the back and a nail-puller notch set in it. Since dry walling only use 30mm nails so it's not that great a stress for the handle to cope with.

Anyway nice work making cleaning and making that handle for your finds goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE