Good mushrooming book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I bought a good mushrooming book at the weekend, it is called Mushrooming Without Fear. It is clear and concise and if you follow the advice it should not be possible to cock up. Which is good for me as I am a beginner.

There is a website:

www.mushrooming.co.uk

You can buy the book from a link on the site.

It seems that we are enjoying a bumper year so it makes sense to get in there now.

Stewey. :D

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Sounds like a good book.

I've got around half a dozen Fungi books, but I still prefer going out with someone who knows what they are talking about. Once I've seen a mushroom in the flesh a couple of times I'm fairly confident I'll recognise it again.
But I can stare at books for hours and still not be sure.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
The book concentrates on several characteristics of mushrooms, if you choose a mushroom which falls into the criteria it is edible.

You also get a field card to put in your pocket as a reference during a trip. You can then look things up when you get home to confirm that all is OK.

All good sense.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
silvergirl said:
Sounds like a good book.

I've got around half a dozen Fungi books, but I still prefer going out with someone who knows what they are talking about. Once I've seen a mushroom in the flesh a couple of times I'm fairly confident I'll recognise it again.
But I can stare at books for hours and still not be sure.

Totally agree on both counts. I saw this book, at least I think its this one, reviewed in the Times recently and thought why hadn’t someone produced a guide like this before - one that simply identifies those (about 12 species?) that are hard to mistake for something potentially deadly and at the same time worth eating.

I too have spent hours trying to match a field-guide photograph to something on the woodland floor and mostly without reaching any real conclusion, which is no doubt good for the fungi and, I suppose, my well being, but not our dinning table!

Hopefully though I will come away with a little more confidence after attending a “Fungi Foray” organised by Fenlander this October. Only £10 for two hours of in-the-woods instruction:

http://www.naturallore.co.uk/

Cheers

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
I too have a number of fungi books. I tend to make sure I can identify the deadly ones first and then I'm a little more confident on the eddible ones. But there's no substitute to walking in the woods with someone who has the knowledge and having the fungi pointed out "in the flesh".

Currently I'm limiting my collecting to ceps, mushrooms and oyster mushrooms...the ones that cant be mistaken for anything else. (Not tried ink caps yet) I'm hoping to change this.....

My wife and I are going on Fenlander's “Fungi Foray” next month too. See you there Klenchblaize!

Andy

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
When me and the wife go out we always take at least 3 books with us. If we can positivley identify a good 'shroom from 2 of them it's an eater - but if it's looking a bit wooly from 3 books we leave it.

The reason is that the picture description's can change somewhat due to rain, cover, etc.. Better to be safe rather than sorry!

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I agree entirely, if in doubt leave it out!

The book concerned clearly shows colour variation after rain etc as well as showing a colour chart of likely variation due to soil and environmental considerations.

I think it is a good start for someone in to basic mushrooming, if you stick to the author's rules then you will be OK. It is when you vary from this you could have a problem. The system detailed in the book is designed to take out any possibility of amibiguity and thus make things staight forward and safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE