Good mushroom identification book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
Hi All,

Any recommendations for a good mushroom identification book? With all the wet weather they seem to be out earlier this year and I keep coming across them on walks with the kids. Getting a bit bored of 'whats that tree?' and thought 'whats that mushroom' might add a bit of variety!

I guess I'm looking for an easy to use guide to common mushrooms, not an all out encyclopaedia.

Thanks

Rich

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
41Nf%2Bq7ytmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Roger-Phillips/dp/0330442376

One of the best without a shadow of a doubt

or

51gXJwNt8nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Com...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315422676&sr=1-2

Best bet is to find your local Wildlife Trust or similar organisation and get yourself booked on a Mycology course, i did one a couple of years back and it was fascinating and fairly cheap as well, nothing quite like listenting to and learning from an expert and having hands on experience of the shrooms as well.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks Kepis, both look like good options. True I should get on a course, I have done some mushroom identification on bushcraft courses before but always seem to forget everything by the time I'm ready to practice it again! I need constant practice to make sure anything like this sticks in the grey matter. :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
41Nf%2Bq7ytmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mushrooms-Roger-Phillips/dp/0330442376

One of the best without a shadow of a doubt

or

51gXJwNt8nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Com...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315422676&sr=1-2

Best bet is to find your local Wildlife Trust or similar organisation and get yourself booked on a Mycology course, i did one a couple of years back and it was fascinating and fairly cheap as well, nothing quite like listenting to and learning from an expert and having hands on experience of the shrooms as well.

Yep, these two and Michael Jordan's book. My own opinion is everything else, including those recomended in this thread, aren't really good enough. There's too much that isn't in them. And you need all three.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
+1 on the Roger Phillips as an excellent home reference text, new edition is great. Not the most portable though, team it up with a good pocket guide

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Buy one that tells you what colour the spore print listed as its a valuable guide to identification.

Also its worth having squares of card that are half black and half white so when you put the mushroom cap on it to get a spore print you can see it if its either dark or white.
White square of card with a black half prit sticked on does nicely.
Sort of like this...
sporeprint.gif

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Another vote for Roger Phillips, we have a lot of books on fungi, and it is hime I use most. I have a small paperback for in the field and a large hardback for home use.

Alex

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
demographic - like your idea of the 'spore card' will have to get some of those made up.

I liked the river cottage one simply because I like all Hugh's stuff but thought it might not be 'technical' enough.

Votes seem to be in for the Roger Phillips, thanks for all the comments.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Another vote for the philips book.Not portable but i take pics of the 'shrooms i see out then look them up at home.
Remember, there are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old and bold mushroom hunters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE