Good Lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
im looking for a good 'storm lighter' it needs to be good in windy conditions and robust

any ideas??

thanks

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I have a couple of these

turboflame.jpg

Available from http://www.ecamo.co.uk/product/turboflame-pocket-blow-torch/650.html

and many other places, including your local camping shop no doubt!

I always have one in my pocket. Seem pretty robust and the flame is adjustable to a greater or lesser degree by turning the little ring round the gas filler on the bottom. You can also lock the flame on should you need to.

I must confess that the litle rubber cap has come off the chain on one of them, but it doesn't seem to affect it at all.

I did have a "TRUE" version once and that was pants, breaking after about a month!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Nice,

i had a Turboflame and a Silva Helios this year and both of them broke down, back to the good old zippo and clipper now.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm back to using a Zippo, with a loop hinge and billy cord and run it on the same fuel as my Optimus Nova. The chrome ones make decent small mirrors for fiddling with contact lenses etc.

ATB

Tom

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
You could try one of the Zippo blu lighters, they are blue flame lighter but use a traditional flint wheel and have the zippo guaratee.

Mark

this is something that I've been trying to address for nearly a year now and almost had a group buy set up when the US supplier let me down for wind/waterproof storm lighters.

I use lighters of one for or another daily (not a smoker!)

I canoe a lot so it needs to be damp proof.

Now zippo's- yeagh they are robust and they always work if the flint is okay as long as the fuel hasn't evaporated. You would not believe how bad they are for running out of fuel particulalry in hot weather due to evaporation. So unreliable due to this I won't even take one away without spare fuel which discounts them for emergency use.

The two sample waterproof strom lighters I had supplied from the states, were ok to a degree. One still works, the other failed after a month-these were not cheap lighters, retailing at £15-25 each. Turbo flames do not appear to be reliable at all.

I really do think there is a need for a reliable, robust, waterproof lighter and I have tried my hardest to find a supplier who is willing to supply me with between 40-80 at wholesale prices for a group buy. No-one will supply without me having a physical shop that they can visit and validate me. Crazy... The major manufacturers just forward emails onto wholesalers blah blah blah...

If someone knows of one I'd love to hear from you, bu the best I can come up with for reliability is a flint and steel and bic disposables in a waterproof sealed bag!

Ws

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest, one lighter won't fit the bill in total terms. Do you guys only take one lighter on a camping trip? I don't, I always have several with me. I always have my cheapo turbo lighter with me, more often than not a zippo is there too (I normaly have naptha fuel with me for stoves so I can refill), plus the throw away bic's which I tend to carry in pouches and cook kits.

I do like my K and M match case, ten quid and about a fiver for delivery, water proof, suunto compass built in the top, they are very nice

https://www.kmmatchcase.com/
https://www.kmmatchcase.com/shop/findex.php?cid=105&p=102

I prefer the brass models but the aluminum are obviously lighter in weight

So, don't let your weekends camping trip be ruined because you only carried one lighter with you that happened to pick your weekend to go breasts up on you

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Despite it being the 'fashionable' choice, I've yet to break my Blue Flame; even after several years living in pockets full of birch dust and thistle down, and countless refillings.
Just don't show it off to people as wind-proof, as this will make them blow on it and put it out.
http://www.hill.u-net.com/, etc.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Advice please!

Is there any way of stopping the fuel in the Zippo evaporating in a relatively short time? Mine seems to empty itself in a couple of days without use.

Plonk it in a mini ziploc bag. You could try smearing a bit of vaseline around the lighter part before you slide it back into the body of the zippo, this should give a better air-tight seal and help prevent evaporation.

I always remember the RSM at Blackdown used to send his zippo down to the Garrison Police to dip it in the duty Land Rovers petrol tank.

I have a turbo flame, a plastic match case with bits of bicycle inner tube rolled up it and loads of Bics. I attended a survival course where the instructor demonstrated all the usaual ways of making fire and then said he personally preferred to carry about 10 Bics....because nobody is so stupid they will lose all of them. I put an elastic band around each of mine, it makes them slip proof and they will not fall out of your pocket. Its a trick told to me by a chap who learned it in Vietnam, there the troops used to put an elastic band around their zippos.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
You could try smearing a bit of vaseline around the lighter part before you slide it back into the body of the zippo, this should give a better air-tight seal and help prevent evaporation..

Many thanks Tourist, I'd wondered about that but not tried it yet, I'll get on it :)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
You could try smearing a bit of vaseline around the lighter part before you slide it back into the body of the zippo, this should give a better air-tight seal and help prevent evaporation.

Doh, never thought of that. Do it to my maglites, and now my big camping stove, basically anywhere there is an O ring.

I try to carry at least two ways to make fire. I love those turbo flames, they are brillant for metling plastic ropes/string.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have the solution. It is a zippo but with a gas insert. Not one of those blue flame abominations though. On this page

http://www.pazyryk.co.uk/Pazyryk_Limited_Petrol_Cigarette_Lighters_73.html

The Tristar insert. It has the traditional flint and wheel and the hinge spring open the gas. In operation it looks and works just like the petrol version. you can even do all your fancy tricks with it but you can also carry it in your pocket for months and it will still be full with no fuel leakage.

Take it for a swim and all you need to do is blow on the flint wheel to dry it and it works fine. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it still works great. I cannot recommend then highly enough. They solve all of the problems of the zippo but do not reduce any of the good points.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Not one of those blue flame abominations though.

What did I do wrong ? I know it won't save me from a grenade fragment like a Zippo, but I hope to avoid that type of unpleasantness in rural Aberdeenshire.
I've recommended the Blue Flames in the past to others: have I doomed them ? Will they speak to me again ?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Sorry I was not clear. I have a number of blue flame lighters, some good some bad. The good ones are great and I would recommend them. What I was referring to was the blue flame gas inserts for zippos. These are the abominations. The flint and wheel are part of what makes a zippo a zippo. Having a blue flame insert with piezo (sp) ignition is just wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE