Good Lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Understood.
And, of course, there's not quite the same flourish running a Blue Flame down your jeans. Still draws an audience, though.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
The zippo fuel containers look just the same as the cheap, little aluminium containers you get on ebay. It might be a good option, unless the fuel would corrode the o-ring.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-Aluminium-M...oryZ2020QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've been using one of these for a month or so. The paint came off almost immediately, but it works fine, and you can see the fuel level. It cost about £1.50 including free postage from the US.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10085

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I have been using Prince Porket Torch and they are quite reliable but they don't last more the 2-3 years.

If you can live without the turbo/storm/blue flame then the most reliable lighter you can buy (without paying silly money for Dunhill/Dupont/Cartier/etc) is the Old Boy

One of this

316078941_qNJau-L.jpg

Make sure it's the original Old Boy. Why is it good? Imagine the fuel tank being made of copper with no plastic parts. That's the Old Boy.

singteck

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've lost a few Zippos over the years. Currently;

Silva Helios Nothing wrong with it, just isn't as flash as it looked in the photos.
Imco Triplex x2 One in the toolbox at work, other often in a pocket. Much like the zippos but slower evaporation.
long Turboflame x2 Good for giving a margin for putting a bit of distance between Scouts and stoves or fireworks.

The peanut lighters seem a good little alternative. I think someone on BB sells them?

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Is there a lighter like a zippo, but with an o-ring to prevent the fuel evaporating?

I've got a tiny one like that on my key ring, but I wouldn't trust it if I really needed fire because it doesn't light well in the wind. If zippo put a flint in their mini fuel bottle...

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
blacks do a version that serves me quite well. the biggest advantage is that you can't loose the cap, its built in, whereas Yeoman's example is attached by a chain. damm things a fuel hog though. millets also do a version that is shaped a bit like a zippo with a built in compass, but I don't know how good it is (the compass not the lighter)

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Despite it being the 'fashionable' choice, I've yet to break my Blue Flame; even after several years living in pockets full of birch dust and thistle down, and countless refillings.
Just don't show it off to people as wind-proof, as this will make them blow on it and put it out.
http://www.hill.u-net.com/, etc.

The only thing that killed mine was being dropped in salad dressing.

The filter inside clogs up and lighter stops working. That said they can be serviced for under a tenner(was a couple of years ago).

The origional version is the best I've found.

Grebby

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
I was given two zippo's clones as gift because I purchased a lot of equipment to a camping store.
The interesting fact, even if the clones are not as well finished as original zippos, is the following : the fuel compartment is separated from the "wick". You need to press on a button that permits to a small quantity of benzine to reach the cord. The evaporation is then limited to the small quantity delivered and that was not burned.
I am a non-smoker, and I use simple BIC lighters and firesteels to light my fire or stove. So if one (or two members) is interested, I could be interested in a swap.
Regards

PS : As you already noticed, my mother language is French ;)

some pics :
img0187iq0.jpg

img0191tp2.jpg

img0188bd5.jpg

img0190fh7.jpg

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I too had a blue flame pocket torch and it lasted for about 5 years. It only just broke down as of lately. Its a great thing when you get it and it does last a long time. Id imagin mine would have lasted longer if I hadnt caked it up in chocolate, taken it apart n put it back together. It was never the same, but it was still good.

I pondered getting a zippo, but I have loads of friends who use them and the fuel does evaporate quickly. Now I use a combination of matches and a disposable lighter, for both smoking and bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE