Good kit.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
......I am so ken on making stuff for my bushcraft (and other folk making for their bushcraft) I have even written a book on the subject which shows folk how to make the stuff that I make and sell!
(if you are interested search for "A Basic guide to making your own budget bushcraft equipment" - I only sell it through this site though :) ).....

You got a link John? Cant seem to find it.

Colin

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
At the moment i have all the kit i need but its not the best
I was using a 2 liter pop bottle till i dropped it so had to come home (no more camp trip) so bought the water bottle
Bought a mug to fit on the bottom to save room

Just wondering what people recommend instead of ending up with some carp..

How about getting a 'Millbank bag' to add to your drinking kit? I gather that evilbay seems to be the source :Thinkingo these days?

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My advice is to take care to buy what you really need, not what you wish you needed. Now, if only I'd taken my own advice...............! Didn't have BushcraftUK when i bought most of my kit, browsing threads like this has saved me far more than the cost of a subscription.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
I do have kit ive tried but i was looking for what people use and are happy with.

Im currently trying to get lighter but all bits and pieces are still adding up. Also need a full tang knife- thinking of the F1? or a woody clone

garethw

Settler
My advice is to take care to buy what you really need, not what you wish you needed. Now, if only I'd taken my own advice...............! Didn't have BushcraftUK when i bought most of my kit, browsing threads like this has saved me far more than the cost of a subscription.

Couldn't agree more, I have spent a lot of time reading reviews and getting the best, quality & value kit I can afford... I prefer waiting and spending the extra if the kit is worth it. But there are a lot of items where even at a modest price the quality is superb... Mora knives are a great example.

cheers
Gareth

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
For myself when I first tried tarp and hammock camping, I bought a cheap LIDL plastic tarp and a Tenthwonder Green Hornet hammock. Reason being I did'nt know if I would like the experience over tenting. Still have the hammock but have updated to the DD 3mx3m tarp. You will get great enjoyment using any kit that you have made yourself,(hobo stoves, pots, kettles etc).That said you can make up a cheap kit and use it for years, upgrading it as you go. Pound shops, ALDI,LIDL and charity shops are a great resource of kit.
Colin.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
For myself when I first tried tarp and hammock camping, I bought a cheap LIDL plastic tarp and a Tenthwonder Green Hornet hammock. Reason being I did'nt know if I would like the experience over tenting. Still have the hammock but have updated to the DD 3mx3m tarp. You will get great enjoyment using any kit that you have made yourself,(hobo stoves, pots, kettles etc).That said you can make up a cheap kit and use it for years, upgrading it as you go. Pound shops, ALDI,LIDL and charity shops are a great resource of kit.
Colin.

After a few failed attempts at making my own penny stove, I finally succeeded, very satisfying ! I'd been trying to convince a friend to buy a trangia stove but seeing as he's skint I knocked up a penny stove for him as well in no time at all ! he was well chuffed !:thankyou: (Tight-wad !) ;)

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
probably the three best things i have bought are

My Leatherman Wave - just so useful!
My Fenix Tk15 - many people overlook good torches but iv never regretted spending a single penny, with the 337 lumens and the rechargable 18650 batteries its the only torch youll need!
svord peasant knife - quite a recent purchase for me but so much knife for the money!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi
I see that you live the other end of Wales from me, but the weather is the same most of the time.
Whenever I go out to camp, I like to go as light as possible, mainly because I don’t like to carry things I don’t need.
I never carry a tent, sleeping bag or sleeping mat purely because of bulk, although they are lightweight there are plenty of natural materials you can use.
What I usually carry will fit in a 30L daysack & my pockets.

This would be my normal kit :

A good knife (plenty to choose from including mine)
Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet (lightweight and an excellent tool)
Fire starting kit (firesteel & cotton wool or other tinder)
Army poncho (just in case I need a quick shelter)
Billy can (stuffed with as much kit as possible to save space)
Paracord (plenty of it)
Water bottle
Mug
Fork
This leaves me enough space for food to cook & teabags/coffee etc, plus a couple of extra items of clothing. Bearing in mind that you are already suitably dressed for the time of year.

Of course this is what I like to carry now, I used to carry a lot more until I found out I did not need it. It’s surprising how little you need to be comfortable in any weather at any time of the year.

My advice to you is not to rush out and buy lots of kit, but to have a go using what you already have , then deciding what else you need.

Good luck
Eifion

Last edited by a moderator:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi Again
Sorry but left out a crucial piece of kit that I carry, and that is a basic First aid kit. If you play with knives & axes you are bound to need it sooner or later.
Eifion

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE