Good idea or silly idea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
I am going to be moving away and have found that my TV will take up too much room where I am going too. Now I was thinking of getting a smaller one, however even though the TV is on a lot, most of the time it is in background talking to itself. :confused:

So I have decided to ditch my TV

These days few things interest me on TV and I spending more and more time reading or walking.

Anyone else not got TV how you find it?

I am being silly? :dunno:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Haven't had a TV for over 16 years;not missed it for even one day. :D

Since the weather and news summaries are available on the web and any worth watching programs come out on DVD,who needs one. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a TV, but it's connected to the video player only. I've no aerial or any means of receiving TV stuff and it's been like that in our house for 10 years, we watch a DVD now and then, the kids watch stuff now and then but that's it. And it's great, there's more time in the day and my kids get out and play. Today they were off collecting berries, reading books, finding insects, cleaning the Landy, baking hot cross buns and I have to admit, playing on the computer. They feel like they've had a good day and they don't miss it, when we go to peoples houses me and them get a bit square eyed for a while but that's it!

Good for you :You_Rock_

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
TV, whats that?

I have several thousand books.

and this new fangled thing called the Internet.

(the TV licensing company dont like me.)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Wow, now I don't think that I watch a lot of telly, but just tried to imagine what it would be like without it and I've broken out in a cold sweat.

Not very happy with myself :bluThinki I guess the log cabin in the middle of a Canadian forest by a lake in my dreams will have to come with cable nightmare! :eek:

Pib

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I've got a TV but don't watch anything on it much, can't stand soaps, tend to watch DVD's as there usually nothing worth watching.

The only programme that I do enjoy is Top Gear and have been watching that since the seventies. :D

Have recently considered getting rid of the normal TV side especially as the licence has just gone up again. :(

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You'll have to pay the license fee if you can receive TV signals, be they cable, satellite etc

I wish that they would provide a service that cut out all the BBC channels so you weren’t forced into paying and you had a choice.

Saying all that I'd still not get TV

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I have one of those DVB stick attenaes which plugs into the USB port on my computer, can't get all the channels, but would you have to pay for a TV licence.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, they're on to that. I heard the other day that they're trying to push through that any computer that can recieve has to pay the fee.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
For the past three years I've been at uni I don't have a TV. I don't miss it in the slightest while I'm at uni, although I do find it difficult remembering to check the news without the TV on in the background. However when I go home I tend to spend a few evenings/late nights/early mornings just staring at the box of magic moving colours... there's something about it that's like watching fire. Draws me in. Does anyone else find that or is it just me? :confused:

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
I got rid of my tv months ago. I found I was watching cr*p and not getting much done. Don't miss it one bit. The problem now is I spend all my time on the computer.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
No not a silly idea at all. Although we still have a telly the wife and i find ourselves watching less and less on the haunted fishtank.

There are still a few favourite things that i like to watch if i'm about but very few things that i feel HAVE to watch.

A bit like SKY, our holiday cottage last year had full package sky. We reckon that you should have sky for about 2 weeks a year, it's about the right length of time before the repeats start to get annoying :D

I'd rather be out walking, cycling or shooting.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
stricklty you need a license if you have any device that can recieve TV signals. It includes TV, videos, R-DVD, computer with video card etc.

It make no matter if the are connected to an aerial or not been used for TV. You need the license for equipment that has the POTENTIAL to view or record TV signals.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
You'll find that if youi purchase anything like a DVD player, TV etc, you will now have to supply your address details the establishment from where you are buying.

I believe that they pass all your info to the TV licencing people.

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE