Good fjallraven 'trouser' alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Revolution race look good. Slimmer leg than many but that only means less flap in wind and less to catch. The size advice is a bit different. Hip size not waist size and no leg inside length. I don't seem to fit any size being top height for XL but I'm a way but below the bottom weight range. Not sure about hip size since no brand ever needed that, it's more a measurement for women's clothing I think.

Are the leg lengths long for the size compared to normally sized brands Namar?

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi,

I’ll second the Helikon brand...Urban Tactical Pants are the ones I wear. Excellent hard wearing rip stop, slightly stretchy material. Plenty of different colours available, and you’ll struggle not to find your size. Sizing is also pretty generous.

Plenty of pockets and wear points, you can’t really go wrong. I have 3 pairs of the trousers and 4 pairs of the ‘Urban Tactical Shorts’, which are basically the shorts version of the trousers.

I’m in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@ Namar
The pockets at the Decathlon Solognac Steppe 300 trousers became deeper. Now the stuff doesn't fall out like a few years ago, if one was sitting in a car.

The leg pockets are small. They are very good to carry a smartphone in them for example and seem to be made for that.

They aren't really made to carry work- or winter gloves in it. They are far smaller than the leg pockets of most military trousers.

The cut changed two or three years ago a bit, now they look better in my opinion and they work better with high boots tucked in, but I think, that a few people will get problems to wear long merino underwear with them.
The cut became relativly tight.

Nowadays the zippers became better (YKK I found in all newer Solognac clothing) and the buttons don't fall off any more.

About Pinewood I heard only the best but my Sahara zipp off trousers had a very thin fabric and didn't survive my use very long.
I guess they use different fabrics for different models. I am not so very rough with my trousers, even 12 € Primark jeans last more than half a year with my use. The Sahara didn't last longer, the first holes I had after 6 weeks.

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Look at swanndri,they don't just do wool Bush shirts!. Their flannel work shirts are really good, (I have four). There's also a wax range of jackets, trousers, all kinds of fleece and even boxer shorts. All very robust.

Haglofs are a really good alternative as well. I like their Mid Fjell trousers (I have 2 pairs). I have had them for about 5 years, worn them weekly and done nothing more than washed them. In fact I'm wearing a pair right now......

5.11? Similar to Helikon. I have a pair of their trousers from 2011! A bit beaten now but still good enough to pop to the pub or into town. For a few years they were my only 'bushcraft' trousers.

Stony Creek UK? Another NZ brand, on a par with Swazi but cheaper.....

I have a pair of Fjallraven Vidda Pros and they are brilliant. I keep mine waxed regularly, wear them often to. I also have a Keb jacket which is superb. Both are pricy, but very worth it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Swanndri wax boker short?

Namar

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Europe
Hi Paul_B

In my opinion hip width is more useful than waist width nowadays because there’s almost no trousers made with a high waist anymore, they’re all aimed to be worn on the hips (or just a tiny bit above), even in the outdoor brands.

For your questions considering the revolutionrace trousers, I usually wear trousers around 31 » and size S was perfect for me.
As for the length, i’m on the tall side being 1m85, normal/long legs (if offered, i take the longer option, and uk brands trousers are usually too short for me) size S was perfect in length too, with just a bit more to be confortable.
The problem for me is that they were made to be worn rather slim, they really are tapered so as you size up, they quickly become really large in the tights (and i bicycle a lot) while remaining rather tight at the calves (at least for me, but this was one of their "less slim at the calves" model).
Too tight for me, as with just a rather thin layer underneath, they would have been too constrictive, especially for winter use.
But you should have no worries about catching the trousers in the chain of a bike for exemple.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've been in the same situation as you, but i always find myself spending the extra and going back to FR. I just like the fit and the designs. So much so, i've just treated myself to a pair of the new Vidda pro ventilated. Be interesting to see how they perform.

Bob Adams

Feb 27, 2018
Birmingham UK
Before getting my first pair of Vidda Pros (What a day!) I was using Scandinavian work trousers. Seemingly UK work clothing is almost impossible to buy at the right size because most brands add about 10" to the advertised to flatter the fat **** builders in this country!

I can second that Herock make seriously tough clothes. My poly-cotton Dagans have done three of four winters tough work without a scratch on them. Plenty of paint and silicone etc to ruin the look but they're still performing. Cordura knees, water-resistant etc. I also enjoyed using Blaklader garden trousers (except for the cuffs) but left unwaxed they don't hold the water off.

blaklader garden trousers

But neither of these options, nor any other 'work' trouser I've worn comes close to the comfort and quick-drying abilities of the G1000. Now I wouldn't dream of switching for anything even slightly less comfortable if I'm going to be wearing all day every day.

But I do really miss that Scandi-thigh button to hook a Mora onto! In fact, I miss the whole vibe of being able to securely strap a Mora and Bahco and more to my right thigh exactly where my hand falls instead of having them flapping about on my hip (exaggeration).

- although it seems they've moved the button to possibly a less comfortable position on the Blakladers. And I'm not sure the Dagans exist anymore.

Anyone out there got a thing for tools on their thighs? Maybe we can lobby Fjallraven to make right thigh tool holsters, left thigh expandable pocket and get rid of the useless deep flat things they make at the moment!

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Before getting my first pair of Vidda Pros (What a day!) I was using Scandinavian work trousers. Seemingly UK work clothing is almost impossible to buy at the right size because most brands add about 10" to the advertised to flatter the fat **** builders in this country!

I can second that Herock make seriously tough clothes. My poly-cotton Dagans have done three of four winters tough work without a scratch on them. Plenty of paint and silicone etc to ruin the look but they're still performing. Cordura knees, water-resistant etc. I also enjoyed using Blaklader garden trousers (except for the cuffs) but left unwaxed they don't hold the water off.

blaklader garden trousers

But neither of these options, nor any other 'work' trouser I've worn comes close to the comfort and quick-drying abilities of the G1000. Now I wouldn't dream of switching for anything even slightly less comfortable if I'm going to be wearing all day every day.

But I do really miss that Scandi-thigh button to hook a Mora onto! In fact, I miss the whole vibe of being able to securely strap a Mora and Bahco and more to my right thigh exactly where my hand falls instead of having them flapping about on my hip (exaggeration).

- although it seems they've moved the button to possibly a less comfortable position on the Blakladers. And I'm not sure the Dagans exist anymore.

Anyone out there got a thing for tools on their thighs? Maybe we can lobby Fjallraven to make right thigh tool holsters, left thigh expandable pocket and get rid of the useless deep flat things they make at the moment!
They've got that elasticated smartphone pocket inside the right leg pocket now instead. ;)

Wushuplayer

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2020
London
Hi,

I’ll second the Helikon brand...Urban Tactical Pants are the ones I wear. Excellent hard wearing rip stop, slightly stretchy material. Plenty of different colours available, and you’ll struggle not to find your size. Sizing is also pretty generous.

Plenty of pockets and wear points, you can’t really go wrong. I have 3 pairs of the trousers and 4 pairs of the ‘Urban Tactical Shorts’, which are basically the shorts version of the trousers.

I’m in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They look good, I love the mustang in the advert, not sure it's consistent with the style of the trousers though!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm using a mix of Varusteleka Outdoor trousers and Keela Heritage trousers. The Keela ones are winning at the minute.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Last pair I bought were the 5.11 which were not cheap. Yes they were ace but the lower leg a bit baggy. Then when I wore them last and an ember went straight through them :cry:

Just ordered a pair of the decathlon above lol. Expensive keks in the woods unless bullet proof and well away from the fire? Not me.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Ive had some montane terra trousers for a couple of years - very light and comfortable for extended walks, hiking and climbing but I’ve only used them a limited amount in the bush and off trail (bramble dense) trekking. Very nice for extended moving about in.

Id agree with the Snikers trousers. The recent ones are the most overrated, overpriced rubbish I’ve had. For work they were totalled within 6 months - Knees worn through, pockets holed, belt loops torn off. And they were not all that comfortable either before they went wrong. Cheapo Arco cotton trousers for around £10 (at the time) still going strong however and I bought at the same time.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I wear a variety of Helikon cargo trousers and shorts and can't fault them. Better quality than anything I was issued. Even use them over my Fjallravens. They can be proofed with the same Greenland wax if you need to and will hold knee pads too. In fact I'm sitting in a pair right now having walked around Flatford and Manningtree then a few miles on my bike tonight. Still not hot or sweaty. They look ok too!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Montane terras are available quite cheap at places like to outdoors, especially with their price matching plus extra 10% off

FR trousers are something i really want to try but they're a bit expensive so I chicken out. Haglofs used to do similar extra long trousers in more traditional outdoor synthetics (great if like me you don't like anything with cotton in on the fells of the UK). I was buying a Paramo in a little shop in Penrith that also stocked FR stuff! The medium keb synthetic membrane jacket is an amazing waterproof IMHO for fit if your be tall? I'm 196cm tall and medium fitted me perfectly. No tightness or restriction of movement like most synthetics. FR simply make great gear IMHO.

They had keb trousers in stock. I fancy getting a pair one day. Which FR trousers are best for general wear and most season hill wear too? I generally wear the same trousers most of the year with long Johns when cold. Prefer stretch with a closer fit. Nothing worse than the drumming of trousers against your calf because of excess fabric it's what n stopped me wearing my old Paramo windproof because the hood had too much fabric that couldn't be stopped from drumming against my my ear in strong wind.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am not to sure if anyone have said Rohan yet, but I live in mine, light, strong and wear resistant. All backed up with 100% refund guarantee on materials faults.

I have 5 trousers in rotation, and no issues with any and worn everyday for the last 7 years.

Make sure you purchased during a sale...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE