Good deals in TK Maxx

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've just been in my local TK Maxx and they have a number of Columbia and Craghopper ranges in.

It's alway a pain trying to find stuff in there, but worth a look I would suggest.

Pib

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Horrible shop, but they do sometimes have something worthwhile.

They were recently doing a line of Sprayway GoreTex jackets at really low prices.

It would be nice if they had a way of checking online what they've got in stock. It would save time for people like me who not only hate shopping but also hate going in their store.

More enlightened shops have this system and it's a great time saver. It means that I will actually go to their shop and purchase something because I know they've got what I want and I know how much it costs.

Mar 30, 2006
cleveland
thats the good thing about tk, alot of people wont go in there so there are loads of bargins to be had. ive been shopping there for years, i laugh at my mates when they have paid x-amout for an item and ive seen it 20quid cheaper at tk, same style quality etc.. not to be underated. :cool:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I agree that it sucks as a shop but I got some craghopper trousers that you can turn into shorts for £10 cheaper than I saw the none 2 n 1 pair in a sale else where.

It's worth that sweaty shopping tension that most men feel when they walk into anywhere other than Blacks. :lmao:

Wish I'd seen the Gortex coats though, really need a new one of those!

Pib

M

Mooney

pibbleb said:
I agree that it sucks as a shop but I got some craghopper trousers that you can turn into shorts for £10 cheaper than I saw the none 2 n 1 pair in a sale else where.

Me to, and as far as im aware theirs no defects etc.(really nice trousers aswell)

I think tkmax wouldn't be so cheap if they did organise/publicly log their stock. They'd probably end up spending the money on more staff to organise it all.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mooney,

Spot on! Well observed that man. :cool:

Retailers are like everything else - you get what you pay for. If you want (or need) a fancy website, good after sales, manicured displays etc. expect to pay a little more for them. Sometimes I do as well. Case in point are websites. I can find electrical stuff cheaper on some sites than I can on Currys, Amazon etc. but I find them a pain to navigate, I don't trust the after sales service so I often end up where I can find what I want and trust the firm.

Outdoorcode on the other hand have a rubbish website (sorry Andrew but it is only when a customer deals with you personally that he understands what a good operation you have). However their prices are excellent, the service without compare etc. So I use them - a bit like the vilage hardware "tardis" that has everything and the bloke is helpful.

Don't know where this is going really - just wanted to complement Mooney on a good observation (oh and I hate TK Maxx too - I would only go in based on a recommendation from here)!

Red

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Mate's wee brother works in TK Maxx and assures me that their staff spend every bit as long making the place look like a disorganised mess as those in more traditional shops do arranging everything nicely.

There's method in it too, apparently.

M

Mooney

British Red said:
Don't know where this is going really - just wanted to complement Mooney on a good observation (oh and I hate TK Maxx too - I would only go in based on a recommendation from here)!

Red

Why thankyou :)

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
I've just got back from my local TKMaxx (Hammersmith) with a pair of Craghopper Kiwi trousers for £20, so pretty pleased with the saving of £15.

I have noticed a small stitching flaw though, so am not too sure about the quality of their stuff... dodgy seconds? Caveat emptor / you get what you pay, for I guess ...

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
I spend a fair few £ in TK Maxx, though a lot less than I would have spent if I'd bought the kit from regular outlets. They also have some Rohan trousers in at the moment for £20-£25.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Great Pebble said:
Mate's wee brother works in TK Maxx and assures me that their staff spend every bit as long making the place look like a disorganised mess as those in more traditional shops do arranging everything nicely.

There's method in it too, apparently.

Do staff really mess the rails up deliberately? Is it to give the impression that stock's coming and going at such a frenzied pace that immediate purchase is necessary to bag a a bargain? :offtopic:

I treated myself to a very posh Spiewak jacket (waterproof, breathable, removeable lining etc) for £35 from TK Maxx in Merthyr Tydfil. Couldn't find them anywhere else for less than £100. Bargain. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE