Good cooking equipment not available in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
With the difficulty being found by the relative bushcraft suppliers to get a hold of the likes of Zebra billy cans and the like, why haven't other brands been sourced that are as cheap alternatives? I know of the Tatonka range, but find that they too are a little expensive for what they are. Surely there is a cheaper option?

Well, it seems there is. The upside is that they are ridiculously cheap and look the part, the downside is that they are not available in UK and every store in the US I have contacted have either ignored me or quoted ridiculously high postage costs. One was asking over 100 dollars for a single billy! I think he was sending it by a courier aeroplane chartered for this one item!

The name of the billy is a Olicamp 1 or 2 quart kettle. It looks very similar, from what I can see on the internet, to the Tatonkas and has a wire handle on the lid to double as a frying pan. The bail arm locks, it is short in height but wide based so will get loads of heat and should boil water very quickly. It is made of the same steel as Zebras and looks to be a robust bit of kit.

Is there any reason that these billys, which retail at around 15 US dollars, can not be made available in one of the UK Bushcraft Suppliers without a massive mark up in price? The Coleman outfitter is another example of a bit of kit that looks like it would perform brilliantly, but again who would stock it without bumping the price up to a ridiculous level?

Coleman Outfitter

Olicamp Kettles (Not available at Amazon, but they are elsewhere.)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You can get gear like this, but it's aluminium. Available from ebay and other places. Can't find stainless steal for the life of me though.

Nag.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi Spamel,

I've repurposed a set of Vango stainless pans (copper bottomed), by riveting on a couple of d-rings either side (as used by Warthog on his lids) and forming a hanger from that most useful of domestic items, the wire coat hanger.

The vango pans were quite reasonable (http://www.freetime1.co.uk/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=18). I'll get some shots to show you if you like.

How do you find the seal on the rivetting? I know Hoodoo added a bail to one of his pans many moons ago but I don't remember seeing anything from him bout how it has worked out (I'll go bump the thread when I find it. ;) )

It's somethng I've been tempted to try but I don't want to mess up a pan in the process. I have a milk pan that is a perfect size to have my stove sat in with a looped handle almost like a mug handle. I added some loops to attach a braided wire bail by wrapping some wire round the pan under the lip. The bail attaches to the loop I made on one side and the handle on the other.

It works well but isn't ideal.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I think they're out there. But I think maybe the problem is things like minimum order may prevent small bushcrafty stores being able to get them.

Was looking on globalsources a while back, out of curiosty

For example ...

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Camping-cookware/p/sm/1005095711.htm

11-15$ delivered to port of Shanghai, but minimum order is 1000 - 1500.

Trying to remember other sites like globalsources to see whats else is about.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
One Thing to keep in mind when trying to buy something cheaper; Cheaper usually means thinner material used .
As some one who cooks a lot ( one of my hobbies ) I can tell you that you want a thicker bottomed pot if you plan to cook anything other then water /soup/ thin stew .
they stop scalding and distribute heat more evenly. Not total needed if cooking over fire by adjustable hanger, or on a stove with simmer controls, but even in those circumstances, thicker is better!
I have a Trekk 2 man set is stainless that is not bad, but thin bottomed. Rice would burn to the bottom if using anything but instant etc...
I then read about the Zebra's on this site, way heavier, but for less simple cooking, way better!!!! So now I take what I need for things I bring to eat, unless Truck camping, then Its the Zebra's ( went nuts, bought the 12 , 14 , and the 18 cm ..Darn Evilbay!!)

Just my 2 Cents..

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I found an enamel cook set; frying pan, big pot, coffe pot, 4 plates, 4 mugs, all for under £10. The question is, how is it to cook in enamel cookware? Anybody tried? I'm thinking of bying it because I like the shape of the coffe pot.

Uh, exactly like the one on asmc actually. But less than half the price.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
10cm Zebra

I keep looking at this company.

Coleman in the UK are brillant to talk to so it might be worth finding out from them, if the sell or have plans to sell the pan set in the UK. It tends to be about 2 or 3 years behind.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have Zebras, but they are difficult to find most of the time. I'm thinking more of the people coming in to bushcraft who want to outfit themselves with good robust kit that'll do the job. Cooking is pretty important and a good robust pot is essential. I personally only use ally when I use my trangia. Not for any other reason than I find stainless a lot easier to keep clean.

I was considering enamelware myself, especially after seeing both EdS and PJMCBear using their Ronnie Sunshine kits at Delamere. They looked very easy to keep clean, Paul simply filled his frying pan with water and put it back on the wood fire. After a while, the water was hot and the fat from cooking lifted off very easily with a stick.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I found an enamel cook set; frying pan, big pot, coffe pot, 4 plates, 4 mugs, all for under £10. The question is, how is it to cook in enamel cookware? Anybody tried? I'm thinking of bying it because I like the shape of the coffe pot.

Uh, exactly like the one on asmc actually. But less than half the price.

Coffee pot is Great ( I have the huge Outfitters one 36 oz? I take it when a bunch of us go on a Camp and fishing /hunting trip. I also have a large Enamel stock pot that is used for soup , boiling veg's, deep frying etc . How ever again not the thickest bottom but not bad either. Look else wear if you need a frying pan, got rid of one I tried after using it on one trip.
Hope this helps!
If your not worried about weight a 10 inch Cast iron Dutch oven ( legged type ) is the BOMB!
you can use enamel for wet cooking, the Dutch for everything else! Stew, Beans, Baking, Cooking in a hole! I'll fry up over the fire egg's and Spuds in the pot part, and turn the lid upside down put it over the grill and fry up Bacon/ ham/ sausage on the lid. No fry pan needed!!
Don't ask how many Dutch ovens I have....... ok a 12, 10, and an 8 inch. But I also Have 2 20 inch Frying pans!!! ( One steel / nonstick and one Cast iron , weighs in at 40 lbs!!!!! )

So as you can see I am a hopeless addict and should be pitied as such.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Kev

I've got a 14cm Zebra, but wanted some wider / shallower pots - had seen the Tatonka kettles but also the prices, then I came across this Sunnflair set at GO Outdoors:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping-equipment/5039150201727

I think it was following a prompt from a thread on here ??? :dunno:

Anyhow, they're stainless steel, with copper bases, have good locking bail handles and a D ring on the lid (except the largest lid which doubles as a frying pan).

They nest as well, although I've subsequently nested the smallest (in a fashion) with my Zebra (both 14cm), and added an Outwell kettle to the larger two.

With the discounts on offer at GO Outdoors, for 3 nesting pots & lids of this quality & size they're very well priced.

As usual, no links etc just a very satisfied customer.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
How do you find the seal on the rivetting? I know Hoodoo added a bail to one of his pans many moons ago but I don't remember seeing anything from him bout how it has worked out (I'll go bump the thread when I find it. ;) )

It's somethng I've been tempted to try but I don't want to mess up a pan in the process. I have a milk pan that is a perfect size to have my stove sat in with a looped handle almost like a mug handle. I added some loops to attach a braided wire bail by wrapping some wire round the pan under the lip. The bail attaches to the loop I made on one side and the handle on the other.

It works well but isn't ideal.

Well, I haven't had a problem with the seal of the rivet. As the holes are way up by the rim of the lid (and I never fill to that level) it hasn't caused me a problem so far. I guess if you overfill or forget a pot of boiling water you may get a little seepage through the holes, I tend to use a rule of thumb of never going over the half way mark.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spamel - the enamell ones are great, though as the are cheap the enamell does chip.
We use the plates alot at home - idea as roasting pots as well you see and the coffee pot live by the fire.

Kenmore Caravans in Mirfield had some like these but with large and small pans & lids for around £15:

http://www.highlander1.com/Cooking/Cook_sets/LargePotPanSet.html

They have none on their ebay site at the moment but if you give them a ring they are helpful.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Is there any reason that these billys, which retail at around 15 US dollars, can not be made available in one of the UK Bushcraft Suppliers without a massive mark up in price?

Import duty and VAT for a start.
With all the comments about the tatonka prices I was expecting huge cost, but rrp for the 1l is £12.50. Sure there are cheaper alternatives, but I was lead to believe these were a good quality product.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE