good coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi
i know that it is summer not winter but i am looking for a coat for winterit will have to be under £50, be green, waterproof, keep me toasty, and have a hood does anyone know of a coat that meets all of these spesifications
thanks leon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Leon,

Try an American M-65 field coat. My buddy has one, and I've tried unsuccesfully on numerous occasions to steal it from him. They're very water repellent, have a button in liner for warmth, and a hood concealed in the collar. They're also tough as nails. Here's a couple links for ya:

http://www.argoss.co.uk/m65.html

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1220.html

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Adam

PS: If you're looking for a winter coat, I'd say your best bet is to try something that's not totally waterproof, showerproof will do just fine. This is because in sub-zero temperatures, Gore-Tex and other waterproof breathable laminates/coatings stop breathing and your sweat has little way of escaping. This is why Ventile is still a very viable fabric today. If you decide to order an M65, you can always wash it or spray it with some Grangers proofing. It'll do just fine! Until my Ventile jacket died, I wore it in every type of weather imaginable and I was toasty warm and dry. Just make sure you layer your clothes properly underneath a cotton jacket! :)

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah i'd second that, have a trawl round the surplus stores for second hand stuff. Remember the key to keeping toastie is to layer so buy a bit bigger than normal. that way you can adjust your clothing to keep a pleasant constant temperature.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I would third it too, and Rambo wore one as did the blonde bird in Cagney and Lacey and the fat mate of Michael Ironside in 'V' so it must be good...

However, for thinking outside the box, I would recommend a Snugpak Sleeka Elite Pile Shirt as featured at the bottom of the page here: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/products.asp?pg=115 (from www.sofmilitary.co.uk )
I have one in black and i wear it either on it's own, or when it's so cold the brass monkeys want their welder back, I wear it under my smock. It is really, really warm, yet easily vented should you get a bit toasty. This version has two detachable hoods as well. It's quite shower proof and dries out real quick should you be unlucky. The cuffs on the sleeves have little thumb holes to act as hand warmers, and the whole thing is quite tough to boot. Highly recommended.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys
i followed space monkeys link and i saw the Sleeka Elite jacket what can you tell me about that
thanks leon

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Leon,

They are warm, fairly light weight, well made and pack quite small, just don't go near a fire in it :D

Brian

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've never tried it but the insulation is different from the one i mention. Mine has a fibre pile lining like a giant fleece which is amazingly warm and windproof. I wear it when I'm driving in the winter with my roof down and I'm still warm at speed. Wait for a few more replies before orderign though. You might be able to email Snugpak and find a stockist near you to try them on.

edit: found a list on their site, one near you?

Action Outdoors (Ipswich)
3 Great Colman Street
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP4 2AA
Tel: 01473 211647

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

The Snugpak Sleeka Elite is a great warm jacket. It packs really small into its (supplied) Stuffsack. Think " a jacket made out of a sleeping bag" and you won't be far wrong. Fairly quiet too - I wear mine a lot when I'm going to be still (animal watching etc. in winter). As said - not fire friendly but neither is Goretex. I have an old cotton smock for wearing round the fire - an old military jacket is hard to beat for general "slobbing around in". You can pick them up dead cheap - if you were closer I'd give you one of mine - I have about 5 - might be a touch roomy though ;)

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Pile, or Fibre Pile if you call it by it's "official" designation is basically synthetic animal fur. It was invented in the Second World War as a cheaper substitute to using costly wool blanket linings in heavy duty US Army field coats. Just like regular fleece, pile is 100% polyester. But, it has far superior warmth, loft, insulation, and drying times when compared to fleece. It's not quite so popular these days as it used to be, mainly because fleece just LOOKS better. Pile starts to look a bit ratty very quickly, but this does NOT effect it's thermal performance.

Like I said in my earlier post, until my 35 year old Ventile jacket finally gave up the ghost, I wore it in absolutely horrific weather (BC's famous for that) and stayed bone dry. Why? Because I layered under it. In really bad weather, I wore my HH hooded pile jacket undearneath it. End of Story.

Good luck, Leon. And buy that M65 coat!

Adam

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
how waterproof is the Sleeka Elite jacket it also looks like it doesnt have a hood is this true
leon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
I don't know man, because I don't own one. From the looks of the website, I'd say it would be fairly water repellent. It looks like it would be better suited as a mid-layer but again, I don't own one.

Of course if you had the money, you could buy both!

Adam

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon, Its windprood rather than waterproof mate (its made of Pertex - only Pertex Endurance is waterproof and this aint it). No hood - buy a hat ;). If you want waterproof, you can't afford Ventile, so I would think either waxed jacket (Barbour type) or Goretex. You can wear a waxed jacket near a fire and it is waterproof. Older it gets, better it looks. You won't get a Barbour for £50 but you'll find something similar at a country fair for that kind of money.

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys, could i get the snugpack elite and wear a waterproof jacket over the top would this work
thanks leon

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
you'd be VERY warm dude, but it would work. i've got a buffalo (very similar) and only ever needed it on its own so far, and even that get to hot.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
R-J said:
you'd be VERY warm dude, but it would work. i've got a buffalo (very similar) and only ever needed it on its own so far, and even that get to hot.

what it even gets to hot in the winter
leon

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
What's more important Leon? Waterproof, or warm? I find that if you have one coat that's both its not very versatile. I've always preferred a waterproof shell, with layers underneath to give warmth.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
leon-b said:
leon

I have been skiing with RJ at -15c and he only had a shirt on :eek: But in truth layers is what you need, too hot take one off, too cold put one on. Err on the side of caution, better too be toasty than chilly ;)

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
The trouble with Combat Jackets and Duvet Jackets (like the Snugpak) is that they are a bit "All or Nothing."

You are either wearing them all the time, regardless of wether you are Hot/Cold/Wet/Dry, or you have a massive lump to cart about.

With your budget, I would look round the Charity shops for a couple of Decent Fishermans or Army jumpers (Wool ones) especially now while they will be dead cheap! :p

To go over the top of these, you could do a lot worse than a British Army Jungle Shirt (if you don't mind DPM- and you can dye it black if you do).
You can get one for around a Tenner, if you hunt around the surplus shops on the web.
This will do as a windproof and is fairly good round fires.

For very heavy rain, buy any old lightweight P.U. Nylon Waterproof that takes your fancy and wear it over everything else when you need to.

This will give you more control over how hot your clothing is, and is called "Layering ."

It is the same method used by the Inuit and Lapp's and has been adopted by Mountaineers and Kayakers, although modern gear is all Synthetic- so prone to spark holes from fires.

The only difficulty, is finding stuff that can handle the odd spark without melting, but you will find your own ideal set-up with experience.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

You certainly could layer a Sleeka with a Goretex jacket (and I have - but only when staying still for a number of hours - soon as you move around it is very hot). The layering point is a good one. I always get mey Smocks (think combat jacket in green) very roomy, then I can put a jumper or fleece or both underneath. The point on the waterproofs is well mate - get a thin one wothout insulation and put it over whatever else you are wearing at the time (so again get it roomy).

Outer layers are called shell (wind / waterproof - your smock or waterproof)
Warm stuff is called "mid layer" - jumpers, Sleeka etc
Base layer should remove any sweat and trap air - t shirt, Lifa etc.

Hope that helps - off to the woods now for a few days

Red

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
leon-b said:
leon

I wear a Buffalo Special 6 shirt up here. Only in deep winter, really.
As I say here , in 20-30mph winds at 1 degree, it's toasty. When the wind dropped, I had to open the collar. Comfortable at -8.

I find it unwearable at all over 5 degrees. As with all things, your mileage may vary. I'm a 48 year old 18 stone monster who sleeps under a 4.5 tog quilt all year round (OK the 3 dogs help to keep the temperature up in winter. I shan't mention SWMBO)

Big thing is keep the wind off.
[Bought a Montane wind shirt recently. Folds up into a smaller bundle than a Stowaway shirt, and makes a huge difference when the wind bites. I bought the stowaway to extend the use of my Swann-Dri jacket - which *isn't* windproof.]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE