good coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
if i do get the m65 jacket i will get it from here, can anyone reccomend these, also does the jacket come with the button in liner
leon

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
hi leon. I got one of those m-65`s from surplus an adventure a few months back and they were great to deal with. just one thing before you order, the large size is very large and the medium size is quite a generous cut compared to the average medium size you get in the shops. get the size wrong and postage can be expensive. :borgsmile

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the smallest they do is small do you think this will fit me i am a small 14 year old, if not what should i do
leon

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
what's wrong with waxed cotton?
£20 for a new one if you shop Around, will last for years, is as waterproof as you want it to be and you dont look like a wannabe squaddie or poacher.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fast but dim said:
what's wrong with waxed cotton?
£20 for a new one if you shop Around, will last for years, is as waterproof as you want it to be and you dont look like a wannabe squaddie or poacher.
i havent seen these before could you please provide a link
leon

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
also, just out of interest, you ever looked in debenhams? I know it`s not your normal outlet for decent gear but at the moment they`ve got a sale on craghopper clothing, you can get a decent waterproof, windproof, breathable coat, in green with a built-in hood in the collar for 1/2 price, £40 and although its not padded out for winter you can layer up under it to make it as warm as you want :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Leon, I got my M65 from the bearclaw bushcraft shop but I don't think they sell it anymore. Still it might be worth contacting them to see if they have it in stock. If I remember right it was about £50. I've also seen them in Surplus shops where you can pick them up even cheaper so do shop around a bit.

Can't help with sizes, that's probably something only you can answer.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i will measure it up probs tommorow and see if it will fit, looks a real good piece of kit
leon

M

Millbilly

I have an m-65 too, and it is a good bit of kit till you take it off. They dont really roll up very small, if you know what i mean :lmao:
But seriously, i wouldnt trade mine for anything, Not even a woodlore :cool:

Bg's made me wanna source a couple of the old jungle shirts now, i always liked 'em and am starting to think theyd be great for my needs now... :rolleyes:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why not try the swedish army snow smocks (dyed green) or ask at your local surplus store for the old green cadet smocks (pixies) cheap and nowadays normally only the small sizes are available, this will be a much cheaper option and give you enough cash leftover to get a fleece and jumper too.
N

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Sometimes you get cheap gore-tex jackets in TK max that are pretty decent, but you have to go in regularly over a long period of time to find a sweet deal. Otherwise I'd agree that the Swedish M90 jackets are ok, there about £30 - £40. You cant beet a good heavy wool jumper under any jacket though and a decent hat helps prevent heat loss aswel, especially if you're sitting around camp at night, not moving around. Iv had countless times in which I'v regretted not having a decent hat in the past.

I got a sweet German army Gore-Tex, mint condition, in the same bag from the manufacturers - for £50 quid at a local surplus store in Brighton down here. I figured they chucked out all the green uniform when Flecktarn made an appearance in the early 90s.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the m65 is a good jacket and fairly waterproofed.

have you looked for the old grey german parka - the liner is fleece and is button in. it drope down to mid thigh has a warm hood and the liner buttons in so you can use it through summer as well.

I still have mine and I used to use it on excercise regularly

being cotton for the outer you can tx10 it or even wax it but its held its own in most rainy conditions as the pile carries on working - also being cotton its fire friendly unlike softy's, buffalos and all gortex. being grey its acceptable student/civvy wear :)

All I did with mine was add some knitted cuffs but you could get the matching trousers and chop them up for extra pockets.

even the flecktarn version looks ok for domestic use.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
if i have measured it right it seems that it will fit me round the waist, but i measured my chest and the measurement is way smaller than the coat is, could someone please tell me how to measure the chest so i can try it again
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Neil1 said:
Why not try the swedish army snow smocks (dyed green) or ask at your local surplus store for the old green cadet smocks (pixies) cheap and nowadays normally only the small sizes are available, this will be a much cheaper option and give you enough cash leftover to get a fleece and jumper too.
N
i have an 'army wooly pully' if you know what i mean, will this be ok for wearing under a coat
leon

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Leon - i used to use my dads old shooting nato jackey complete with viable poachers pocket. and various stains! still have it in storage somewhere.

i'd suggest the m65 for ya - and one idea may be to save up or you may be able to get both for 50 quid for a cheap 95 uk army gore tex jacket (these come without pockets )or at least mine did to go over the top when its really pouring down - you can pick up one of these for around 20 pounds on ebay etc.
this would give you a good robust all weather system, i had one and used it for ice axe arresting to spare my berghaus or buffalo - it was really robust and i can't fault it for a simple bit of really thick goretex :)

cheers

Graham

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Leon,

It's good to see you post man, where've you been? :)

Anway, of course it'll be fine if you wear your wooly pully sweater under your coat. I have one and I wear it under my Entrant jacket when the weather gets really cold because my HH Fibre Pile hoodie gave up the ghost. Wooly Pully's are a magnificent piece of kit and the fact that they're still being issued to soldiers after 60+ years speaks for itself.

The only other thing I'd say to you is that you might not need to wear a wooly pully if your M65 has the button in liner. (It's very warm) If it does get cold enough and you consider wearing the sweater, just make sure that the jacket isn't so snug that it won't fit over the sweater. My old Ventile anorak was too snug for me to wear the sweater under it so I had to settle for the pile.

Cheers,

Adam

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
as long as you have a decent windbreaker, the british army wooly pully is a fantastic bit of kit. i use mine when it gets really cold. i find it's warmer than my fleece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE