Good bowdrill video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
[video=youtube;RwdM4EQiIqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwdM4EQiIqk[/video]I know quite a few people struggle with making bow drill fires, so I thought I'd share this video by Dave Canterbury. It includes a few little tips that I havn't seen elsewhere and is very easy to follow.

I hope some will find it useful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwdM4EQiIqk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I watched all the videos in that series and they're great! Inspired me to have another go- didn't work but I'll get there in the end! :)

Great job on posting these- I follow Dave's channel, but for anyone who doesn't they're a great resource! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Dave's channel is a very good resource alright. What's causing you difficulty with the bowdrill, Cameron?

I reckon it's downward pressure and the bearing block, tried Dave's way and it was better- I can get a good rhythm going but no smoke yet- so I racing I'm not pushing down hard enough, and I reckon its because my bearing blocks rubbish- just like a half split piece of wood with a divot in. I'll keep trying, but I reckon I might have to get one of the sockets set into wood/ antler to get myself started :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If you have another person around, try getting them to operate the other end of the bow at the same time, just for the first time. It will keep the bow horizontal and at a good rhythm allow while you focus on getting your position right, which will aid in putting the correct pressure on the bearing block. This way you can focus on that aspect without wearing yourself out.

Your wooden bearing block should be fine, but you could try lubricating it slightly so you aren't getting as much friction at the top end, similarly, a bit of ash on the bottom end can help you a little at the start.

I'm no expert, but I think it's ok to use tips and tricks to get you started and then try to build each element of the skill after. Getting a fire is a great mental boost that helps you want to learn more.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
If you have another person around, try getting them to operate the other end of the bow at the same time, just for the first time. It will keep the bow horizontal and at a good rhythm allow while you focus on getting your position right, which will aid in putting the correct pressure on the bearing block. This way you can focus on that aspect without wearing yourself out.

Your wooden bearing block should be fine, but you could try lubricating it slightly so you aren't getting as much friction at the top end, similarly, a bit of ash on the bottom end can help you a little at the start.

I'm no expert, but I think it's ok to use tips and tricks to get you started and then try to build each element of the skill after. Getting a fire is a great mental boost that helps you want to learn more.

Cheers mate! I'll be giving it a bash for sure, I reckon I'll conquer it eventually (may take some time ;) ) , an use it on occasions for fun and practice- it's a great skill to know - but for some reason I'm still fascinated the most by flint and steel and I'm always starting fires that way now, so I hope the large amount of ember to bird nest to flame fires I've done will help me if I do finally crack the bow drill :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
They absolutely will. I've spoken to a lot of people who get the ember and then bottle it because they don't know how to make a fire from an ember. Having your bundle to hand and knowing how to treat a fire will mean you will make fire once you get an ember with the bowdrill. The first time I managed it I was lucky to be supervised, because I got so excited when I got the ember I wasn't exactly careful and calculated in getting it into a fire.

I've never had the chance to try flint and steel. Flint isn't available in most of Ireland. The only place I know of where you can get it is on the Antrim coast :(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
They absolutely will. I've spoken to a lot of people who get the ember and then bottle it because they don't know how to make a fire from an ember. Having your bundle to hand and knowing how to treat a fire will mean you will make fire once you get an ember with the bowdrill. The first time I managed it I was lucky to be supervised, because I got so excited when I got the ember I wasn't exactly careful and calculated in getting it into a fire.

I've never had the chance to try flint and steel. Flint isn't available in most of Ireland. The only place I know of where you can get it is on the Antrim coast :(

That's a bit of a bummer mate, none really round here either, did find a few small bits a t a beach once. I reckon if you get one of those kits- like a John Fenna one, or a Shark Tinderbox one- they come with a few bits of flint so you can get plenty of sparks! You should definitely have a go mate- it's great fun! :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, something like that is on my list, along with too many other things!

I suppose I'm reluctant to invest too much into it, since I can't get the material locally and so it isn't something I can realistically use over a long period of time. It would be more for a bit of fun than anything else.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Cam, can I suggest...

two limpet shells make a good bearing block to get you to first ember and into it.

Since then bunging some grass in the hole in the bearing block works. It doesn't stay in but it does coat things up enough to make a difference.

Hazel has always worked well for me as a drill and hearth.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

It's pretty much all over the county. I didn't know it was rare elsewhere.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cam, can I suggest...

two limpet shells make a good bearing block to get you to first ember and into it.

Since then bunging some grass in the hole in the bearing block works. It doesn't stay in but it does coat things up enough to make a difference.

Hazel has always worked well for me as a drill and hearth.

Thanks! I'll be giving all sorts a try, it's just a question of being able to get that initial smoke to keep going to turn it into an ember- with any luck I'll get it sorted! Although I've been under the impression it's easier when you have someone there with you to show you and teach you? :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
when I had a bit of trouble doing it I viewed paul kirtleys blog. The drill bearing block end needs to be nice and pointed, quite an angle, this compacts the wood in the hollow of the bearing block andmakes a frictionless turn. I dont even lubricate my drill either end now, and apart from a little noise no effects, not even scortch marks, I suppose because the drill bearing block point is moving so slowly in comparison to the exterior of the drill. Incidentally the indent in thebearing block is only the size of a fingernail, but all that pressure compacted the wood fibres good and hard.

Dont they fire harden arrow tips spear points if they are from wood ?

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I watched all the videos in that series and they're great! Inspired me to have another go- didn't work but I'll get there in the end! :)

Great job on posting these- I follow Dave's channel, but for anyone who doesn't they're a great resource! :)

Hi Clouston. What woods are you using ? I found willow and lime to be the easiest woods to use. I found finding the woods in the right condition the hardest part when I first started. Once I had made my first friction set with the right dry wood and the right dimensions the rest was easy. Keep it up you will get there in the end. PS I tried the bamboo fire saw tonight and failed. I had four goes at it and gave up in the end. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest:) First thing tomorrow I'll be giving it another go.

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I like Dave's videos but that one is a bit misleading and dangerous. Using his knife as a hand block is just silly. It only takes a few minutes to make one and is a lot safer. I'm no expert but Dave made that job a lot harder than it needed to be. I could see straight away that he was going to have problems when he carved that notch as big as he did. All his ash was cooling down as it was falling out. You need to carve a small triangle notch not quite to the centre and concentrate all that ash into one spot. I just make a bit bigger undercut underneath my notch for the ash to collect.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Hi Clouston. What woods are you using ? I found willow and lime to be the easiest woods to use. I found finding the woods in the right condition the hardest part when I first started. Once I had made my first friction set with the right dry wood and the right dimensions the rest was easy. Keep it up you will get there in the end. PS I tried the bamboo fire saw tonight and failed. I had four goes at it and gave up in the end. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest:) First thing tomorrow I'll be giving it another go.

I believe its alder I'm using now, which I did read was a good somewhere?

I'll be trying all different combinations probably though :).

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I agree about the knife thing, I too though it might be a bit dangerous; especially for those not practiced with the skill. However you don't seem to see knives with that in it over here very often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE