Good book suggestions please....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

Elements

Hi all,

I am after a good book on wilderness living / bushcraft / survival. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors leading expeditions (mostly from a canoe) across the globe, and am always looking to develop my knowledge.

I have read all the usual Mears type text (found them uninspiring) and found my best book by miles to be 'Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival' by Mors Kochanski. More recently I have been reading the books written by Frank Spencer Chapman, these are awesome and you can learn a lot from these. I would like the book to compliment my expeditions in 2011, these are to;

- Across Scotland Canoe Skye Bridge - Inverness (January 2011)
- Sweden wilderness living (February 2011)
- Northern Sweden & Norway (June + July 2011)
- Southern Africa (lots)

It does not have to be on hard technique but could also be about psychology, history, physiology as long as they are relevant.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions

Rob

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Unrelated to your trips (possibility applicable to the colder climates) but I enjoyed 'One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey' which covers Dick Proenneke's time in Alaska.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
How about ''As far as my feet will carry me'' based on the story of a German soldier who was sent to the Gulag lead mines at Cape Dezhnev in Siberia, convicted to 25 years of hard labor. He escaped, and travelled for three years, making his 11,000 km (6,800 mi) long way to Iran by sled, train, and foot. He arrived home in Munich two days before Christmas, in December 1952, three years and two months after escaping.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
That "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me" sounds brilliant. Will have to check that out.

Cheers

It is absolutely awesome buddy and contains tons of stuff of interest. Several thousand prisoners never survived the train/sled journey just to get there before then slaving in the lead mines. His escape and endurance of the winter is true survival skills.;)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz is a simular story to As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me but Rawicz was a Polish Officer not German. Its an excellent read although some doubt its accuracy and believe Rawicz was wrighting about someone he knew, regardless its worth getting hold of a copy.

Other great reads:

Miracle in the Andes
Survive the Savage Sea
117 Days Adrift

By Thor Heyeradl:

Fatu Hiva
The Koni Tiki Expedition, Ra Expedition and Tigris Expedition

The Fearful Void (Moorhouse) and Impossible Journey (Asher) are good stories about the Desert.

I always enjoyed Papillon, despite being a crim Charriere certainly put up with some horrible conditions particulary the solitary confinement. Ed

E

Elements

Thanks folks, I can see my Amazon account/credit card taking a beating. The next year is going to be full of good books.

Some I have read recently which are not Bushcraft / Survival specific but still very very good reads are 'Zen in the Art of Archery', 'Born to run' and a book about Gino Watkins. Ah the joys of airports and long dark nights in may van whilst working away from home.

Thanks again

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Thanks folks, I can see my Amazon account/credit card taking a beating. The next year is going to be full of good books.

Some I have read recently which are not Bushcraft / Survival specific but still very very good reads are 'Zen in the Art of Archery', 'Born to run' and a book about Gino Watkins. Ah the joys of airports and long dark nights in may van whilst working away from home.

Thanks again

Well I would be happy to lend you "Wilderness Survival" to read.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I got "As far as my feet will carry me" for Christmas and so far it is deadly. It really reminds me of "Papillon" which is another brilliant book about a frenchman escaping from prison in South America. Wasn't too impressed by the film they made of it but the book was epic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE