Good Beginners knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes complete sense susi thanks.

I guess the trouble with knives is there is is no "absolute" terms - I mean puukko as a "small scandinavian type knife" as opposed to "bowie" or "parang" etc. Trouble is there are so many variations on each theme that no one word is really adequate I suppose.

Fo me the nice thing with the style I illustrated is that there are lots around of a useful size and an affordable price. I like my clipper and mora but I do prefer a wood handle and better sheath. When you add in the cost of a decent leather sheath for a Mora you often find a "puukko" is cheaper in the long run, hence my opinion :)

Red

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Yup, I couldn't agree more that a decent puukko-type knife is a good starting point, I just wasn't sure if a company hadn't adopted the name as a brand name for their knife, however from a Finnish viewpoint it is quite flattering that their own word for such a knife has been adopted abroad. It's a combination of Finnish modesty plus the realisation that most people probably couldn't pin Finland on a map, it's a "cold" place known for wife-carrying and air-guitar competitions, Nokia and sauna. Proudly we can add "Puukko" to the list :)

Cheers Red :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And Moomintroll :) We love Tove Jansson - surely Snufkin is the original Bushcrafter?

moomins_snufkin_pic.gif

Hat? Check

Pack? Check

Is that a swanni too? :D

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
While we're on the subject how do you pronounce the two words? Puukko and Leuku aren't exactly obvious to pronounce for English speakers.

I guess for an English person it would naturally be Pookow and Lewkoo
For a Pole it would be worse as double letters are pronounced Poo-ookakaoo and Le-ookoo
- I'm an English teacher hence the preoccupation with pronunciation ;-)

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
You might try going on line to A.G.Russell Knives and take a look at their "Woodswalker."This is a fixed blade,drop point, stainless steel(takes a very keen edge and holds it). It come with 2 sheaths one a neck chain Kydex which I have decided I don't like and a leather sheath that form fits the whole blade and handle and fits in the back pocket of your jeans like a wallet. Runs about $25.00 American plus postage. Has served me well since their introduction in 1974. By the way I really like the preferences shown in the posting for short bladed knives. If you need a huge knife, you probably need a different tool any way. Thank you. Stevec038

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just do what most people do, buy a Clipper or Mora for less than a tenner... get used to it then feel that you "really need" something with a super fandango moon metal blade and a wooden handle and as this you must spend all avaliable cash on you fave hobby so spend a hundred or more notes on a handcrafted posh knife.
But then as its so nice and perfect and cost an arm and a leg just carry on using the Clipper or Mora anyway:)

Don't forget that if you do get a super fandango moon metal bladed knife its known as jolly bad form to show photos of it lying on the computer desk next to the mousemat where it usually lives (because you still mostly use the Clipper/Mora) and instead always show it in a woodland setting, preferably next to a carved spoon or maybe with freshly prepared game.

<Whistles>

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well "puukko" is the most common word for such a knife.

"Leuku" is sort of a larger version of a "puukko", the name more linked to larger Lapp (or for some ears "Sami" is more politically correct :) ) knives.

But if you're talking "veitsi", then this is a "knife" that you would use to eat your dinner, accompanied by a fork and spoon.

But "puukko" is the most common word for the sort of knife we are talking about. :)

Any more questions, fire away :)

'Puukko' has appeared in English texts for a while. Gavin Lyall refers to one in his 1960s thriller 'The Most Dangerous Game' (set in Rovaniemi) and the celebrated outdoors writer Sigurd Olson refers to his 'well-tempered' 'Finnish knife' with birch handle - clearly a puukko.

I did wonder which make of puukko is popular in Finland? I asked my Swedish pal first and she knew of Marttiini but no others. Clearly from the Brisa website knifemaking is still a popular pastime in Finland and other Nordic countries for that matter.

i have just ordered an Enzo knife kit from Brisa in Finland. I believe the blades are made by the Finnish bladesmiths Lauri, but the design is a mix between a traditional puukko (which have stick tangs) and the full tang woodlore type knife.

Going back to the original question, a stick tang puukko or similar from any of the nordic nations is hard to beat. Brisa will sell a stick tang Finnish blade plus a block of curly birch for the handle for around 10 euros if you fancy making a knife. The Enzo kits are more but well regarded.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As said the Frosts Mora, I know its not sleek & attractive with a nice handle and leather sheath but its a great knife, I always carry one.

and you can always make / buy a nice sheath and even rehandle it by following a tutorial on here.

Could you let me know where I can find the tutorial for making a new handle for a Frost Clipper? Be very interested in having a go at that - always been a little disappointed with the rubber handle. Cheers.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
When I was in Norway last month, Brusiletto seemed to be popular (at least they were for sale in almost every sports shop.

They make good blades for the money I have a knife I made with a brussletto blade and I am very happy with.

I have also made knives with Karesuando kits which are good for the money

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Kind of linked to this thread....

Can anyone give me a link to a decent Woodie clone (blade shape & handle - up to &#163;100). Ive had a poke about on the web and cant find anything?

Thanks in advance, Jon.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Kind of linked to this thread....

Can anyone give me a link to a decent Woodie clone (blade shape & handle - up to £100). Ive had a poke about on the web and cant find anything?

Thanks in advance, Jon.

Look out for smallholder1 who makes and sells on ebay or ask him on BB.
I've a few of his knives and dearest was £120.

There are of course plenty other makers/sellers:)

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Look out for smallholder1 who makes and sells on ebay or ask him on BB.
I've a few of his knives and dearest was £120.

There are of course plenty other makers/sellers:)

Hi BarnOwl,

Just to let you know I found Smallholder1 on ebay who was selling exactly what I was looking for so based on your info and his ebay feedback I made a purchase. Cant wait for it to turn up!

Thanks for the heads up...

ATB, Jon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE