good axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2020
scotland
Can anyone recommend a decent axe that doesn't cost the world I bought a cheap one and it isn't worth taking with me

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Grab an old English Kent pattern and pop a new handle on if it needs it. I've done quite a few now and none have ever let me down. Regrinding can be done by hand with files before moving onto wet and dry.

Reactions: Broch and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
+1 on old.
If you want new, Hultafors is like Gränsfors, but without the price tag and artisan marks.
If you do not mind a composite handle, Finnish Fiskars are very good.

Remember, a quality axe might cost a little bit more than a cheap Asian one, but will last you a couple of life times. At least!

Buy cheap, buy twice!

Reactions: TriggerRover
Jan 11, 2020
scotland
excellent guys thanks. some food for thought, hadnt even thought about refurbishing an old blade from ebay, quite like the idea of making a labour of love and re shafting it

Jan 11, 2020
scotland
I've been desperate to get out and do some cold weather camping I really do need a decent axe though but every time I've been ready to go out out there's been a weather warning for wind and rain I like the looks11 of the Husqvarna Forest axe

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
seanfaetheshire: your post reads like you need a couple more tarps to block the wind and the rain.
Things can't get too bad after that. Get the stove on = hot food and drink.

I take far more pride in my ability to sharpen just about anything than what brands I might buy.
I grow grapes and some apples so there's a lot of spring pruning. Just about all my equipment is Fiskars.
If/when I need a light axe (2.25lbs) and a heavy axe (3.5lbs), I suppose I'll look at Fiskars first, see what they have.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another vote for the Husqvarna axe - and its little brother, the hatchet. Both are superb tools, particularly the hatchet. You might need to do a little work on the edge but, for the money, you cannot do better.

Reactions: Robson Valley
Jan 11, 2020
scotland
seanfaetheshire: your post reads like you need a couple more tarps to block the wind and the rain.
Things can't get too bad after that. Get the stove on = hot food and drink.

I take far more pride in my ability to sharpen just about anything than what brands I might buy.
I grow grapes and some apples so there's a lot of spring pruning. Just about all my equipment is Fiskars.
If/when I need a light axe (2.25lbs) and a heavy axe (3.5lbs), I suppose I'll look at Fiskars first, see what they have.
dunno man its a bit mental lol, mabye ill build up to it
8b421810050df651d0f821c32ca05f54.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE