Going out for the first time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
Doc said:
In civilised countries such as Sweden, Norway and Scotland you can - with few common sense exceptions- do exactly that.

In England he would be committing a civil offence, not a criminal one (providing there is no criminal damage or armed or aggravated trespass). In theory the landowner could sue in the civil court, but would have to prove damage.
Thanks for the explanation, Doc. :)

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
Ignore my previous reply as its probably not even relevant anymore (my browser was displaying the forum in some wierd view which made it look like mine was the first reply). :welcome:

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
WelshTriffid said:
Or you could put everything in plastic bags and carry it all in a shopping trolly hobo stylie....... :rolleyes:

LMAO that image is funny in my mind. Also I think I have actually found a decent spot in guisborough woods!:O lol so ill check it out as soon as I can. I'd rather not risk anything

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Bamboodoggy wrote... :)

Hey Marko...it might be nice and dry in Finland but it rains like you wouldn't beleive over here...mostly when I go out overnight! lol

Being a prepared sort of chap I check the forecast before I go out and if it says it might rain then I take my brollie...it goes in one ice axe clip on my day pack and my axe goes in the other.....many have giggled but they usually stop when it starts raining

But you`re an eccentric gentleman from old blighty...this kind of behavior should be the norm over there, not the exception... :)

One day, I`m off on a week-long hike to Lappland (during peak season and a popular spot...), equipped with:

1.) Black suit and shades (a la blues brothers...)
2.) briefcase containing alcoholic "provisions"...
3.) I don`t care how miserable it gets...it will definitely be worth it to see the expressions on the welly boots taleban`s faces (that`s what we call prudish backpackers/hikers/bushcrafters etc. here in Finland).

I will be taking a brolly...it might rain and I may be mad, but I`m not stuopid... :)

Odie

Sep 23, 2004
Essex, UK
after a couple of outings you will discover what you NEED and what can be left at home. On my first 'long' haul (4 nights out) I was packed to the gills - the Royal Marines would have been proud of my load-carrying. However, upon finishing my walk I had some seroiusly aching muscles and a bag full of rubbish that never got used.

Personally, I prefer a hoochie to a tent as I find that (provided I can find trees) it is far simpler to string up than building a tent. Also lighter. Once I did get caught out without any suitable trees and just lay improvised a lean-to with some sticks and pegs.

A reasonable knife is essential and so to a folding saw. I still use my Mora training knife given to me on my fundamental bushcraft course. My saw was less than £20 at B&Q.

Take a couple of forms of firelighting. I carry a triple-jet lighter bought from Blacks for less than a tenner. Plenty of directable flame to stuff into a wad of tinder and kindling. Make sure you take a backup (matches, cheap lighter) just incase you lose your main.

SPARE SOCKS and undies. Nothing is worse than getting wet and not having dry socks and undies. You can try toasting your wet gear over the fire but come morning if they are not dry then it is a HORRIBLE feeling to put them back on. I bought a box of zip-lock bags. Put your socks and undies in one and close the bag leaving a 1 inch section open, roll it up from bottom to top squeezing out the air as you do. Put your mouth to the open section and suck the remaining air out as you finish the closure. Compact and watertight.

If you are not roaming far from home then you can just experiment. Take a note book and jot down things you do and dont need. Everyones comfort level is different.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
I bought a box of zip-lock bags. Put your socks and undies in one and close the bag leaving a 1 inch section open, roll it up from bottom to top squeezing out the air as you do. Put your mouth to the open section and suck the remaining air out as you finish the closure. Compact and watertight.

Make sure it`s the clean undies and socks bag you suck on...otherwise you may need your FAK or antihistamines etc.. :lmao:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Naruska said:
Bamboodoggy wrote... :)

But you`re an eccentric gentleman from old blighty...this kind of behavior should be the norm over there, not the exception... :)

One day, I`m off on a week-long hike to Lappland (during peak season and a popular spot...), equipped with:

1.) Black suit and shades (a la blues brothers...)
2.) briefcase containing alcoholic "provisions"...
3.) I don`t care how miserable it gets...it will definitely be worth it to see the expressions on the welly boots taleban`s faces (that`s what we call prudish backpackers/hikers/bushcrafters etc. here in Finland).

I will be taking a brolly...it might rain and I may be mad, but I`m not stuopid... :)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Have a good trip "old boy" lol :D

Reactions: British Red
Nov 7, 2005
carlin how, cleveland
hi tyrcian

as a local lad myself, just in carlin how. i no what you mean about the chav camps in guis woods. so anyways you have the same idea as me going out on your own for a few days but i'm finding it hard to find a good out of the way spot to set up a camp, so if you got any ideas i would be greatful.

good luck on your first night out.

Mar 30, 2006
cleveland
give us a shout tycian if you find any good areas, i was in guisborough woods the other week but there was lots of activity. (me and my brother were having a brew on a gas stove and got some weird looks from a passing group of vounters). i have been looking at maps driving around etc.. and think i might approarch farmers to ask permission to use woodland then at least i wont be disturbed by a group of ramblers or rangers.

Nov 7, 2005
carlin how, cleveland
hi tyrcian

is there any chance you can give me an idea of were your thing of going eg. OS grid ref coz i'm thinking of going up into guis woods on sat for a look around eg. water source and try a find a good spot. i'm want to get out for a few days soon coz ive pritty much finish uni now so if you could give me an idea i would be greatful.Thanks :)

Aaron

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE