Going out for the first time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
So, pretty soon my A levels will be over and I'll finally be able to get out and practice some of the things im aching to try and do, and I thought about hiking off somewhere in the nearby woodland alone for a weekend. I was just wondering if anybody else had done this and do they have any tips? I'd like to know any recommendations for equipment and food to take (I am hoping to find some food wherever I go though). Also what to do with two full days all to myself, I am a complete beginner to bushcraft so what skills should I work on, I dont have enough money or the necessary transport to go on a course at the moment so any thoughts would be nice. Thanks alot!

Tom :lmao:

I think I might set up camp the friday night, then go home and return in the morning. That will make taking essentials easier.

Any body got any ideas on equipment. Here's my list so far:
Knife
Fold out saw
Tent
Small blow up bed (this is not as big as you think it is, it's about the same size as the tent wrapped up)
Sleeping Bag
Food (might take a BBQ)
Water
Some cooking pots of some kind
First Aid Kit
Torch
Hygene Kit
Matches & Lighter & Birch Bark just incase there are no natural fuels nearby.
Batteries and Mobile Phone

I've decided to make two trips, the first trip I will take this with me:
Tent
Small blow up bed (this is not as big as you think it is, it's about the same size as the tent wrapped up)
Sleeping Bag

And on my second trip I will get settled in and be there with this:
Food (might take a BBQ)
Water
First Aid Kit
Torch
Hygene Kit
Matches & Lighter & Birch Bark just incase there are no natural fuels nearby.
Batteries and Mobile Phone
And anything else I will need.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dont try and drop your self in the deepend first time out.. especially with food, take plenty of high carbs.. being hungry sucks!

Enjoy and let us know how you get on!

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
If it`s in the summer, you probably won`t die... :) Go for it! Pack some spam, biscuits, chocolate and lots of explorer spirit...going solo, is one way to see what you`re made out of... :)
I do it all the time. Dive, kayak, canoe, hike and climb...for s*x I prefer company :lmao:

Seriously, self-reliance is an immensely valuable asset...when I was 17, I spent 2,5 months touring europe solo... hitch-hiking....absolutely brilliant memories!

Marko

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
cool, I do plan to over prepare to extremes, then gradually reduce the amount of things I take with me as I repeat. I think I may try things like shelter building, trying to identify trees and plants and carving and other things like that. I'm sure I wont die, plus I wont be that far out of reach of civilisation, where im planning to go I think I could walk back home in about and hour. So no worries, I'll be sure to keep a log of my activites and post it all here when I go. I'm going to use a tent as my shelter, having not built a natural one before. Keep posting :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Down your way there isn't the same right of access and use that there is up in Scotland. Who owns the woodlands you want use? Are they amenable enough to let you be there without any fuss? What about fires and felling small timbers? It might be a good idea to find out beforehand, and if things are sweet, break the ice and talk to them. Sometimes it's more fun to have something productive that has to be done on a visit.
Hope it all goes well, and you sleep warm and dry.

Cheers,
Toddy

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
That I also need to take into account, I think it would take me far too much effort to find out as the woodlands are not tended to and hardly public, I'm hoping to remain a ghost and try to cause as little harm to the environment as possible because everytime I go camping with my friends they have no respect for the environment that is hosting them, and I just want a place to be by myself and give it the respect it deserves and leave it unspoilt. I dont plan to fell any trees during my stay, although later I think I may, but by then I hope to have found out who the owner of the land is and to have gained there permission. But hopefully until then I can remain undetected. :eek:

Edit: Plus its near crappy boro so it will be industry soon anyways.... (sigh)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay then, I can empathise.
What do your parents think of your venture? I ask because they'll fret anyway so at least if you've discussed it with them it might ease their worries and it might 'tighten up' some of your own ideas.
Remember that if you're near a town then most folks won't venture near after dusk or before mid morning. That quiet time is *yours* :D
The exceptions might be the Friday and Saturday night booze up nutters, and usually they'll only visit an area they know well, and you ought to be able to see signs of their use and avoid that bit.
If the site is about an hour away it's a good distance for a walk; maybe do a couple of visits to familiarise yourself with the woods and the folks that use them before you camp.
Since you've camped before you'll already have a good idea of what you can leave behind and save your back :D but take something to do, carving, cordage, leatherwork...small but interesting to keep you occupied.

atb,
Toddy

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
Toddy said:
Okay then, I can empathise.
What do your parents think of your venture? I ask because they'll fret anyway so at least if you've discussed it with them it might ease their worries and it might 'tighten up' some of your own ideas.
Remember that if you're near a town then most folks won't venture near after dusk or before mid morning. That quiet time is *yours* :D
The exceptions might be the Friday and Saturday night booze up nutters, and usually they'll only visit an area they know well, and you ought to be able to see signs of their use and avoid that bit.
If the site is about an hour away it's a good distance for a walk; maybe do a couple of visits to familiarise yourself with the woods and the folks that use them before you camp.
Since you've camped before you'll already have a good idea of what you can leave behind and save your back :D but take something to do, carving, cordage, leatherwork...small but interesting to keep you occupied.

atb,
Toddy

Yes, the local woods (Guisborough woods) are pretty much dominated by the remains of chav campsites (Im sure everyone has witnessed this atrocity) but the ones I am thinking about heading for are ones well out of reach of the local boozers and campers, quite a walk but I'm am willing to do it just for the peace and quiet. Nothing around the woods apart from fields, and even then I plan to stay deep within the woods and out of sight. By the way, how did everyone feel the first time they slept alone in the woods, I think I've seen too many films lol! :lmao:

I also plan to get a bit of reading done, I feel that when in your favorite environment, a bit of reading can bring the greatest of pleasures.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi :)
sounds like a good plan and i'm sure you'll have a great time, i don't know how experienced you are at sleeping out so sorry if this is obvious but i reckon its worth mentioning..
Assuming you are going to be having an open fire, make sure you are confident in starting, maintaining and putting it out safely and responsibly so neither you or the place you are camping come to any harm.
That leads me onto my second, and perhaps obvious point, assuming you are going to be using something sharp like a knife or axe, make sure you can use them safely and make sure you have a suitably stocked and easily accessed first aid kit with you to deal with any mishaps.
It's suprising how easy it is to end up with a potentially serious cut or injury, even if you are an experienced knife or axe user, and an hour walk from help is far enough to make it risky if you're alone.
cheers and have a great time
:D

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
yes I have experienced damage with my sharp knife. I have two knives, one knife used for vigorous tasks such as heavy carving and using it with firesteel, and the other for more delicate things. My steel knife(not so sharp) is a folding blade that is about 3" long and then theres my lucky Buck knife(I'll tell you why in a moment) which is carbon steel. When I bought my buck knife I ordered the Special Fixed Hunting and Fishing knife. This comes in two versions, the one witha black plastic handle with chrome butt and guard which comes at about £60, and then there's the next version which is exactly the same but with polished brass butt and guard and a cocobola handle which is about £90. So I ordered the £60 version, and open it when it arrives eagerly, and I had to look twice because out comes a lovely Buck fixed knife with Cocobola handle and polished brass butt and guard. I had to wait a month to check that I had been charged £60 not ninety... AND I HADN'T, I was over the moon! What a wonderful and lucky save. I think people need to make similar makes more unique rather than just sticking a -R on the end of the Item code. :lmao:

Knives
Axe
Fold out saw
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Food (might take a BBQ)
Water

I know theres lots I'm missing, please help me out:)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
tyrcian said:
Knives
Axe
Fold out saw
Tent
Sleeping Bag
Food (might take a BBQ)
Water

I know theres lots I'm missing, please help me out:)

A shelter for sleeping under, a small tent? or Basha? This will depend on the space you have.

· A sleeping bag, try for a "Mummy" type with a top zip rather than a side zip, but find one that is not going to take up a lot of room.

· A mat to sleep on, a therm-a-rest, or similar, is propably the best but any closed foam mat will do, as it is there for thermal insulation between you and what you are sleeping on.

· Get yourself a Map of your area, and enough maps to get you to your destination.

· Get a compass, preferably a silva, but you need something with degrees and a base-plate on it.

· Pop a small gas camping stove in, and a couple of spare cannisters, screw type preferable. I use gas, as it is, I feel, more convenient to use. There are some very good multi-fuel stoves on the market you will be able to find these by following the links in the "links page".

· Some pots and pans for cooking in, army mess tins are ideal for this as they are quite compact, but there are so many others to choose from.

· At least two 1ltr bottles for drinking water, also it is wise to get yourself a larger capacity collapsable water carrier.

· A plastic or alluminium mug, insulated are good, but can you warm your hands on it?

· Knife, fork and spoon set, again there are sets especially for the outdoor enthusiast, but just as well check out the kitchen drawers.

· Get a good quality first aid kit, but do not forget to put any medication you are on in it, an important note here is to learn how to use it, so try and get some training through your local St John or Red Cross or other training establishment.

· A small head torch, and a hand held torch, don't forget the spare bulbs and batteries.

· Personal hygiene kit, plenty of hand soap and nail brush, and a couple of hair combs or brushes.

I know that you have some of the items already, but you might find the others useful. There again, you may not.....

LS

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The obvious thing missing is a small first aid kit. At least a few plasters; steri-strips; antiseptic wipes and a crepe bandage.

What about water? You'll need at least 2 litres a day. Is there a water source or will you take it with you?

Sleep mat? Pretty uncomfortable just lying on the floor of your tent. You could collect natural bedding, but there's not many fern about yet.

A torch? Even if you don't like light pollution in your camp (I refrain from white light) you should have one for emergencies (preferably a head lamp).

How's about a small survival kit? Plenty of threads on what to include. Fire lighting being the most important. You're stuffed if your primary fire lighter gets lost or damaged.

Can't think of anything else at the mo'. :rolleyes:

Pablo

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
I still need to check the area for water sources, please keep in mind that this is not a test of my survival skills, much rather and escape to somewhere where I can focus on my building of skills and other things. I have a small first aid kit that I can take with me. Boiling is the best way to purify water correct, also I've got to check that there are no dead sheep in the water upstream(if there is a water source) also I may walk home each day to get food and water. Ill update the list in the first post now :)

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
here's a few additions to get you started, in no particular order...
-first aid kit (there's loads of info. about what to put in but make sure you are equipped for cuts and possibly burns).
-cooking kit including mug and something to eat from and something to eat with.
-illumination (torch or headlight with spare batteries, candles are handy aswell).
-wash kit including liquid soap (i like the bio-degradable liquid stuff because its easy to use to clean your dishes, kit and yourself)
-rubbish bags
-i reckon thick leather gloves are an essential for general use and especially around the fire
-sleep mat or insulation from ground
-fire starting kit (bring a few options as well as a fire steel, i find cotton wool balls covered in vaseline, which is petroleum jelly, are a good reliable backup)
-duck tape is always useful
-if you have one, pack a mobile phone for emergencies (i switch mine off but it's good to have it)
i'm sure there's more

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
tyrcian said:
Boiling is the best way to purify water correct, also I've got to check that there are no dead sheep in the water upstream(if there is a water source) also I may walk home each day to get food and water. Ill update the list in the first post now :)
You mentioned earlier that the woods you want to use are surrounded by fields?
Boiling water may kill off the biological hazards, but WILL NOT remove any chemical polution that is washed off the fields - pesticides, fertiliser, etc. - personally, I wouldn't use any water that has passed through agricultural land, so in that situation it will all have to be carried in.

good luck
Steve

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
just noticed that alot of what i suggested has already been mentioned, that'll teach me for wandering off halfway through writing a response :rolleyes: ,
If you're planning on purifying your own drinking water i'd do some searching on the subject, i don't think boiling alone is ideal as it wont really deal with all kinds of common contamination.
Might be worth taking notes or info. with you about any activities you fancy trying for the first time so that you have something to easily refer to if you get stuck.
:)

tyrcian

Feb 7, 2006
Guisborough, Cleveland
I'd really like to try some simple stuff that you would learn on a fundamental course for example shelter, different woods to burn and finding natural fuel, identifying useful trees and plants and also maybe some carving projects (my first didnt go quite so well). Basic things like that.

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
This is what I`ve arrived at currently... :)
For me, it`s a basis from which to add to or subtract from...depending on the venue and company... ;)

- backpack + bin liner inside backpack as waterproofing
- sleeping bag and closed cell foam mattress (ridge rest)
- poncho + rope/string/paracord type stuff + mozzie net
- Duossal trangia with gas burner / finnish army billy can /swedish army trangia Spare matches packed inside with a strip of birch bark and candle. I use sand, moss or spruce branches for washing.
- kuksa and thermos (in winter) /1.0l aluminium sigg bottle. At bedtime, fill the sigg with hot water, cover with your damp socks (used in daytime) and stick it into your sleeping bag...dry socks, warm night! Otherwise, if water is abundant, I just take a 0.5l plastic coke bottle/canteen.
- opinel nr 10/mora/puukko/leatherman... + finnish ranger knife. Two blades provide redundancy...Folding saws IMO are very good for gardening...a proper axe like the fiskars 1000/or equivalent will see you through a log cabin project. If necessary.
- Cutlery: I take along just a spoon . If needed, a fork can be fashioned in less than a minute...the knife has already been mentioned earlier. I have no use for plates either, I simply eat out of the trangia...actually, carrying a separate plate when using a trangia is IMO like taking along a rubber mallet to pound in tent pegs and an umbrella in case it rains...
- matches in 35mm film canister (2-3 canisters, in pockets, backpack and trangia as waterproof backup) + lighter (not piezo etc.)
- elastic bandage and band aids, medical swabs, compeed artificial skin
- watch, map and compass, plastic referee whistle (HEEELP!), dental floss (very tough) and needle for sewing, Petzl tikka led headlamp + cheapo keyring led for backup + battery spares, 1-2m gaffer tape wrapped around gas canister, bog roll with string (hang around neck when dumping :) )+ couple of plastic bags (multiple uses...from waterproofing boots to carrying water/trash etc.)
- mobile phone in zip lock bag (detach battery...may get turned on by accident, entering wrong pin code 3 times by itself and get locked...this has happened to me once, almost twice).
- 1 pair spare woolen socks + 100g fleece undersuit + buff + shell jacket (my spare clothes... :) )
- Food: I prefer stuff that can also be eaten without warming/cooking, if necessary...sometimes cooking or firemaking is not an option...(laziness, weather, morale, time constraints etc.). Salami, biscuits, dried fruit, cheese, rye bread, chocolate...or easy stuff like eg. oatmeal, noodles and tuna. (I have also worked as a chef in Lappland, so please don`t think my palate is made of birch bark...) :) . Obviously, the whole menu does not have to / should not be cold cuts...just don`t plan on having the opportunity to eat a hot meal every time...

I`ll stop here (for the moment...) :sad6:

Marko

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
tyrcian said:
Knives
Axe
Fold out saw
Newspaper just incase there are no natural fuels nearby.

Knives, pural? You'll only need one good one.

The other edged tools? Very doubtful you'll need them, don't bother with the axe. It only increases your packed weight.

Newspaper. You'll not need it. Look for a birch tree. If you can't find one, remember where you out the bog roll.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE