going abroad, general kit questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
hey

i, along with 4 friends, am going to the black forest this june for 10 days to a fortnight.

We will be backpacking through the area and camping out with minimal kit (tarps/light sleepingbags/t-shirts, some warmer stuff for the night, undies and socks, large towel, headlamps/torches, cutting tools (a small axe, folding saw and a few knives between us), wash kit, 1x kelly kettle, 1x large frying pan and saucepan, food (dry food, i guess).

first of all, what sized packs will we need? would a karrimor 80-130 be overkill for a trip like this? would a 75-100 be better, or still too big? I personally will want to take my SLR camera + accessories, and ideally would prefer it to be safely packed in my sack.

would a couple of millbank bags + iodine/tablets be sufficient for our water needs?

has anyone had a good experience with those solar showers? otherwise a chilly dip in a river will do.

has anyone here ever done the black forest, and if so, what did you think? did you encounter any problems with the park authorities?
we will land at Karlsruhe-Baden, so any directions to nice locations would also be useful.

Any info. would be really appreciated :)

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE