Go-Lite Shangrila 5 - be aware

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have mentioned my Shrangrila 5 a couple of times on here, and generally I'm pleased with it, but...

if you are using the so called nest, this is the mesh inner tent, it cuts of a corner of the tent to give a rather oddly shaped floor footprint

The problem is that, once you have this odd shape, plus the central pole, you are only left with enough room for two Exped downmats or Fat airic type mats.

Even then, one has to placed in a position that uses the full width of the tent, which, when you take into account how steeply sloped the sides are, means this mat would not be suitable for a tall person. I can just get away with it at 5ft 10".

All in all it leads to the layout of door and sleeping mats all ending up at strange angles to each other. It would also make it a less than ideal tent for two people 6ft or over.

And while you could possibly squeeze in three mats, they would be very close to the sloping sides of the tent and not really very comfortable. This is a far cry from the "5 person" size its advertised as. Without the nest, you could get 4 mats in, but again, if you are tall, you are going to be very close to the sloping sides. Certainly, possible, but far from ideal.

For us, it still works well, and we like the versatility and the height, but if you are using it with the nest, its really only a two person tent.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE