Gluten Free (Possibly Vegetarian) Pizza

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Haven't tried this recipe yet but I'm going to this weekend. As I've stated before, my daughter's a celiac but loves pizza. With this zuchinni crust we can accomplish it Gluten free, and as an added benefit, it's low carb and fits my diabetic requirements also! Whether it's vegetarian or not depends entirely on whatever toppings you chooses (well, lacto-vegetarian at least, as it does require eggs and dairy)

Don't forget to convert from US measurements to either Imperial or metric. Likewise the cooking temperatures.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=1]Zucchini Crust Pizza[/h]
main.jpg

[h=1]Zucchini Crust Pizza![/h]This recipe can be doubled.
[h=3]For the crust:[/h]
  • 1 large egg or 2 small ones
  • About 3 small-medium zucchinis (mine were about 8″)
  • 1.5 cups grated parmesan or mozzarella. I liked parmesan best for this one.
  • salt
See note above about how you can vary these proportions according to your taste, your desired crispiness, etc.
[h=3]For the toppings:[/h]Use anything you like on a pizza. General formula:

• Mild tomato sauce OR pesto
  • Grated firm mozzarella cheese OR sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
  • Ricotta cheese or goat cheese, for small dollops on top (optional
  • Assorted vegetables. Pre-sauté for extra flavor, especially if you’re using onion, garlic and mushrooms. A little italian parsley or basil is nice too; the basil can be added fresh after the pizza is cooked, and the parsley is nice in the sauté. Finely chopped greens are nice. Fresh tomatoes can be added after the pizza is cooked too.
  • Meat if you like/eat meat on pizza: Crumbled sausage would work well. Pre-sauté. Ground lamb or chicken would be tasty, cooked with lots of garlic.
  • Olive oil, black pepper
[h=3]Directions:[/h]1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Grate the zucchini.
3. Sprinkle salt on the zucchini and stir. Let it sit a few minutes.
4. Squeeze the water out. I found the easiest way to do this was to wrap it in cheese cloth or butter muslin and squeeze. You can also put the zucchini on one plate and press another plate on top of it, or put it in a colander and press a bowl into it.
5. Mix with egg and grated cheese.
6. Spread parchment paper on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread out your dough batter about 1/2 inch thick into a circle.
7. Put it in the oven and cook until it has browned, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, as it is cooking, sauté any toppings you want cooked. I sautéed garlic, onions, mushrooms and Italian parsley.
9. Take the browned bottom crust out of the oven and admire it.
10. Cover it with your toppings.
10. Bake again until crust edges brown further and cheese on top melts into toppings. Take out of oven and add drizzled olive oil, grated black pepper, and optional fresh tomatoes and fresh basil. Serve hot.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
cool i have three kilos of frozen grated corgette left over from last years glut, when we all got to the point where couldnt face another marrow/corgette. I fact we havent eaten courgette at all this year.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'll try this , thanks for posting. Grated carrot I guess you also be added for a bit for structutal integrity.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now if we can make it egg and dairy free, it's a winner :D :D

It looks delicious Santaman2000 :D I do like the idea.

Relieved to hear that zucchini are courgettes though, 'cos other than butternut squash or cucumber I don't think I'd find it locally.

M

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
difficult to think of a gluten free binder other than egg for the base. The only one I can think may work and be tasty would be corn meal (polenta). Bit I think that would be a bit crumbly - OK for eating with a knife and fork, but would probably fall apart if you picked it up like a slice of pizza.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's really a kind of frittata base. It won't work without eggs :sigh:
Oh well. It's still a good idea.

M

difficult to think of a gluten free binder other than egg for the base. The only one I can think may work and be tasty would be corn meal (polenta). Bit I think that would be a bit crumbly - OK for eating with a knife and fork, but would probably fall apart if you picked it up like a slice of pizza.

Yeah it seems the egg is merely a binder. Polenta isn't corn meal though, it's grits (hominy) Similar, but not the same. Hominy has the pericarp removed, cornmeal doesn't.

Looks like I'm not going to get a chance to try it this weekend; hopefully early in the coming week.

Last edited:

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Mary - my friend makes us gluten, egg and dairy free pizza for dinner quite a lot (she's paleo, so low carb, and I'm vegan, so no eggs/dairy). I don't know where she got the recipe from so can't credit the original cook, but it's delicious especially when topped with roasted veg! I use onion, red and green peppers, mushrooms and black olives which I roast while the bases are being prepped.

2 cups almond flour
2 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 6 tbsp water (no need to grind the seeds, just let them sit in the water for 5 mins before using)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix everything together until you've got a dough.

Roll out the pizza bases between two sheets of oiled baking parchment to the thickness you want.

Cook bases for 10-15 mins then add toppings (then put back in to heat through for a bit if you used cold toppings rather than roasted veg).

Hopefully some help!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE