Gloves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Hi all, as the cold has hit it has got me thinking about gloves? yes I know strange but I don't usually bother to much, but getting older and want to spend more time outdoors regardless of weather so what do members here recommend.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Not cheap but I'm very impressed with the Hestra Falt guide gloves, shown here in the middle.

Gloves_and_Mitts.jpg

I started a thread here about the set up I'm taking with me to the Arctic.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For cold hill walking days I wear powerstretch or close fitting fleece gloves, if it's raining I cover them with Paclite mitts. For bushy fun I just carry a pair of cheap gardening or rigger gloves

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Mittens are by far the best for warmth but my hands rarely need that much help. For reasonably energetic walking in anything down to about -10 I just use a pair of leather 'summer' motor-bike gloves. Leather isn't generally very warm but it's enough for me. Sometimes if I can't be bothered with gloves I keep one hand in my pocket while I hang onto the dogs with the other. Every now and again I swap hands.

Years of practice at being cold helps I suppose, but circulation comes into it a lot too. I know a biker from Chesterfield, he's a joiner and the circulation in his hands is completely shot from using power tools so his hands are always cold.

If it's really cold or I'm not being so energetic then my favourite is some fur-lined mittens that I've had for donkey's years. No idea where they came from. They don't fit closely but they're very windproof, being basically a sheep turned inside-out. I have a couple of pairs of Thinsulate-lined motor-bike gloves and they're great for warmth in cold weather even when they're wet. I find them a bit sweaty if it's warmer so on long trips where the temperature can vary over a wide range I take several pairs of gloves.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Another vote for the Hestra Falt gloves. It's worth buying an extra pair of the wool liners so that you have a dry pair available if things turn nasty.

For more temperate but chilly conditions, the gloves made from soft shell material are pretty good; if it's really cold, then mittens are the best option.

Whatever you do, try them on - there's a huge difference in sizing, finger length and thumb length which is not always apparent when shopping on line.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
im a bit of a cheapie as i have to budget everything, i use a cheap pair of thinsulate fingerless wool gloves for day to day as a base layer. i use set of barbour neoprene shooting mitts, a few sizes to big, to go over the top and keep everything dry and cover my fingertips when they aren't in use. failing that i stick my hands over a nice fire.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use kayaking gloves - grippy & windproof. For hot stuff I use Tegera leather gloves - they're lined & a bit less bulky than welder's mitts. Nice & warm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE