Glock perfection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Just thought you'de find this dude's review humourous

Customer Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Boring, but I just can't knock it., December 30, 2011
By Erik S.This review is from: Glock Model 78 Field Knife (Sports)
I gotta be honest everyone. I hate Glock. I hate everything about it. Glock makes boring guns, and now they've made a boring knife.

But, what pistol do I have? A Glock.

What knife do I have? A Glock.

Look; I learned a long time ago that Glock is never going to be sexy, it's never going to be customized, it's just never going to be anything other than the product you took out of the box when you first bought it. That's the way their guns are, and that's the way their knives are.

The thing that makes me hate Glock so much, though, is that try as I might, I can never find a reason to fault their products. You don't NEED anything other than what you got in the box. They come to you in a state of near perfection already. No sense over-engineering. They make a great pistol. A reliable pistol. A simple pistol. It's ugly, but it does it's job so perfectly.

Now I've got the Glock Field knife and I've discovered the same problem. It's a knife made of spring steel. Not some fantasy metallurgy concoction made in a wizard's den. Just good, hard, spring steel. The blade doesn't like to take an edge, but once you've got one, it holds it for a long, long time.

It's got a plastic handle (Ooops. Sorry Glock. It's polymer). You can pry off the cap with a small tool and store stuff, or drive a nail through the pommel and make it a spear tip.

Handy. Simple.

The knife is balanced. So balanced that any moron can take it out of the sheath (which is arguably the most complicated thing about this knife), and hurl it at something with good precision. Yes, it's a good throwing knife too. A great way to pass time around the camp site.

I do not carry this knife every day. That'd be like carrying a machine gun for your job at the insurance company. Nope; it's in my camping kit, and I will never, ever take it out of there. The knife takes abuse well. The knife cuts well. It chops well (wood or vegetables). It's just the plainest, most resilient piece of gear I own.

I just wish, y'know, I could get it in chrome or something. Or, give it a name like "Glock EXTREME TACTICAL Field Knife". Just, something to make it sort of... cooler.

In the end, this is a highly under-priced, well engineered, dang-fine knife, that will help you in any way you can dream up. It's understated just how good it is.

Dang you, Glock.

Got to agree. Only had my dirty mitts on the 81 for a few weeks but something about this knife makes you want it with you always. I've forced it through the nastiest twisted grain logs for fire prep - the blade rather than snapping suddenly just laughs in scorn and says "Bring it on - is that all you've got?" The reworked edge rather than going dull during this process stays sharp which surprised me. Think I'll get the 78 next to make a set. One things for sure - there's much more to a knife than just something to cut wood with.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh got to love a striker fired trigger though - none of that weird heavy DA pull on the first round. I do like the decocker on the Sig - the lack of a thumb safety has always troubled me on the Glock (even though I understand the mechanics of the striker cocking trigger safe system)....so perhaps the Ruger SR9? What's not to like? Striker fire, thumb safety and a trigger safety, chambered round indicator, windage and elevation adjustable sights.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
If someone needs a device to tell them if they've got a round chambered, they ought to have their gat taken off them and be given a nerf bat instead. Slack drills = accidental kills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE