Global knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I've seen these knifes and always thought it would be good to have a decent set of kitchen knifes, so I bought a small 11cm blade peeling knife as it is the ideal shape as a bird knife! Bloody hell they are aweful! I've never seen a knife so brunt out of the box! Is this the norm with these?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think Global are one of those brands that started out with amazingly good stuff of the highest quality, and then decided to cash in on the reputation. I know a good few people who cook for a living and they all rate them as very poor, but some say the early ones were the biznezz. The ones I saw all had metal handles and that really put me off totally, in fact iirc one-piece metal build was their selling point.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have an older set, and they were razor sharp from the box, still are in fact. I haven't tried any which are newer than the set I have, so can't really comment. But I like mine!

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Try the Japanese kitchen knives from various good manufacturers at dictum.de
Three layer steel, carbon core, thin profile, razor sharp
Global pfff

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I bought six Globals about fifteen years ago and they were very sharp out of the box. Fifteen years later they're still as sharp through a bit of work and looking after.
Good knives but I do love my old manky looking high carbon steel jobs. Not sure if they were new when my grandparents had them but boy do the take a wicked edge in no time at all.
Don't know if the quality has gone down though as I don't need anymore kitchen knives so I try to avoid looking in that section of the cooking shops. Sorry.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Oct 25, 2015
Norway
Somebody probably sold you knock offs. I'm å stovemonkey myself and Globals are really ok knives even though I don't like them because the handle is to thin for my broad palm (peasant hands, short fingers but big palms). Also might depend on which series you got, but I belive somebody sold you knock offs because I have worked A LOT with almost every kind of Global and I have to admit they are good, and I don't even like japanese knives. Of course they are not even near to some custom made one of a kind master bladesmith knives but you don't want that, too much money to use and abuse every day. Also, Globals the swiss arm knife of kitchen world, most copied and imitated.

Послато са SM-N9005 уз помоћ Тапатока

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
I bought a Global kitchen knife when I was in UK about 15 years ago , and am still using it.

It was not sharp when I got it , I did sharpen it , or at least try to.

I got the usual saw edge along most of the edge.
It cuts like a serrated knife , and tears food.

I may have got a Friday one , but in those days , £35 from Global in UK , was not cheap.
I now use Ikea knives that I regularly replace if sharpening produces a serrated type edge.
Just my 6 pennyworth.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one that a girlfriend at the time gave me. I've been with my wife for eighteen years, someone else for a year before that and the one who bought it about a year and half before that. So maybe nineteen to twenty years ago?

Anyway, its an OK knife and gets regular use. Its not anything like as good as the layered Japanese (inner layer is SGPS and outer layers are layered pattern welded, its a thing of beauty) at keeping its edge but the Global must have been about quarter of the price of the Japanese one that was made a good few years later with cutting edge tech.
No surprises there then.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I bought six Globals about fifteen years ago and they were very sharp out of the box. Fifteen years later they're still as sharp through a bit of work and looking after.
Good knives but I do love my old manky looking high carbon steel jobs. Not sure if they were new when my grandparents had them but boy do the take a wicked edge in no time at all.
Don't know if the quality has gone down though as I don't need anymore kitchen knives so I try to avoid looking in that section of the cooking shops. Sorry.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

My own global knives were sharp straight out of the wrapper but I wasn't too keen on the metal handles. That didn't prove too much of a problem though as they got pinched at a large function about a month later. :D

I have some lovely Japanese hand made kitchen knives (not to be used with a hangover) and a few of my grandparents' old patinated carbon steel knives that have never let me down.

At the moment my general use knife is an unbranded titanium job that my next door neighbour picked up in a charity shop for £1.49!

Liam

andy godfrey

Nov 19, 2015
Leicestershire
I used to be a chef too and have had a few Globals. Not my favourites but - with only one exception - have always been razor sharp ootb. I reckon a previous comment was right - a boatload of cheap knock offs from China flooded the country a while back. They were all over Ebay and at loads of boot sales. A mate got some and was over the moon until they tarnished and lost their edge almost straight away.

There are loads of better Japanese blades out there. I reach for a well used Victorinox as often as anything else though...

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've had 3 global knives for about 15 years (fairly sure they're genuine). The big kitchen knife is good but for prolonged use the handle isn't comfy enough. My wife snapped my filleting knife in half last year so enough said there but the paring knife is excellent and I use that one a lot.

I think my dad was given a knock off set as he managed to bend a couple of them.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
The older ones were certainly better.

Think of global knives like apple products. OOTB sharpness aside, they're good, but you can get a hell of a lot better for the money.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Interesting. Never tried Globals but always wondered about them. The metal handles put me off I guess. I have a few higher end kitchen knives. I have a Shun which is ok but I like my Zhen a little better even though the handle is not as nicely finished as the Shun. My favorite, though, is Miyabi. Great knife for the price. I have a Miyabi Kaizen 7-Inch Granton Santoku 5000DP. Just an amazing kitchen knife. I've had it for over a year now and still love using it. Ultra thin edge that lasts and lasts. Looks like the price has gone up about 40 bucks since I bought mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE