Glass cutter help.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
My better half has asked me to try and cut the top off some wine bottles. I thought I would start with the traditional glass cutting wheel scriber thingy but it seems there is a minefield of them out there! There is diamond wheels, dry wheels, oiled wheels and even one with 5 wheels on a wheel!!!

Where do I begin?

Has anyone any advice?

Or will I be better just buying a bottle cutter?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Something we used to do years ago was tie a bit of meths soaked string around the bottle at the point you want to cut it, set it alight and when it burns out dip the bottle in cold water.......It 'should' break along the line that the string was tied. Doesn't always work but fun trying it, we used to make vases etc.

D.B.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
Something we used to do years ago was tie a bit of meths soaked string around the bottle at the point you want to cut it, set it alight and when it burns out dip the bottle in cold water.......It 'should' break along the line that the string was tied. Doesn't always work but fun trying it, we used to make vases etc.

D.B.

done it the same way too, just be careful they sometimes shatter

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you've got an electric wet wheel tile cutter you can get much better results with one of those than any hand held glass cutter or burning string method.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
As Mesquite says, a diamond cutting wheel on a wet cutter or in an angle grinder with water fed to it via a wet sponge, safety gear of course :)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I saw the string way but wanted something a little more precise.

The diamond wheel is a good idea, didn't think of that. I have a grinder. The main reason for the scriber style was purely for cost purposes for now.

Swmbo is running a zero waste campaign and the idea was to try and upcycle/recycle at home.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I saw the string way but wanted something a little more precise.

The diamond wheel is a good idea, didn't think of that. I have a grinder. The main reason for the scriber style was purely for cost purposes for now.

Swmbo is running a zero waste campaign and the idea was to try and upcycle/recycle at home.

How many have you to do ? You can get them at a reasonable cost for a mid range one, I might have an old one kicking about ( Tiler ), I'll check tomorrow :0

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No experience really, we used to fill the bottle with oil to the cut point and then dip a hot poker in. I had a Massdrop email a couple of days ago about a Kinkajou cutter. They're available here, but I know nothing about them.

https://bottlecutter.co.uk/

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A much better way of recycling wine bottles at home is to re-fill them with home made wine! :)
When I cut bottles in the past I used a simple dry scriber thinggy but clamped to a block of wood to make a jig - push bottle against the jig, turn the bottle, tap the neck = clean break (which was then sanded round).
Result ... a rather boring vase!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been cutting glass since I could reach over the glass bench :eek: Family business.

The green handled cheap glass/tile cutters are pretty nasty and gouge out a cut. Yes they may get the job done but a good quality oil filled single diamond wheel cutter is far better. But, they are about £15-£30 for a decent one.

Like using most tools its experience and practice rather than the all about the tool its self.

Even pressure and let the cutter do the work. You are not trying to cut the glass in half with the cutter but rather create a fine even score and weakness in the surface that can be vented and hopefully split where you want it to. To vent a cut you tap from the opposite side of the surface you have cut. I would use the back of the cutter. Has to be something metal and take your time.
Always makes me laugh when you see the cat burglars cut a circle in one side of the window and pull it out. Complete tosh. You need to have access to he back of the window which kinda defeats the object :)

A bottle is going to be a bit of a pig as you want a continuous score and pressure on something that's round. Stopping and starting is where you are going to trip up so johns idea about mounting the cutter and turning the bottle sounds like a plan to me.

If you struggle to find a good cutter let me know and will pop in and see how much they are at my mums place.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cutting glass is a PITA and cutting bottles is worse.

(Says she who has dabbled in staned glass windows, and yes, bottle breaking.)

I wouldnt cut a bottle without a diamond saw. Any other way is a great way to smash things up and get frustrated.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A much better way of recycling wine bottles at home is to re-fill them with home made wine! :)
When I cut bottles in the past I used a simple dry scriber thinggy but clamped to a block of wood to make a jig - push bottle against the jig, turn the bottle, tap the neck = clean break (which was then sanded round).
Result ... a rather boring vase!

The most appealing use I saw was not for the bottom (an uninspiring vessel as you said) but rather for the tops. One winery I visited (and a friends wedding reception) used the tops for lamps. Set a tea candle on the table and place the cut bottle top over it.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Well I have a part used blade here for a 20mm bore angle grinder if you would like it pm your address and I'll post it out for you to try :)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I might have an old one kicking about ( Tiler ), I'll check tomorrow :0

If you could see if you got one that would be great! :D

I had a Massdrop email a couple of days ago about a Kinkajou cutter. They're available here, but I know nothing about them.

https://bottlecutter.co.uk/

Funny enough that's what I saw but thought I would try a cheaper option first just in case it was a waste of time/money.

If you struggle to find a good cutter let me know and will pop in and see how much they are at my mums place.

As above, if you could have a look please. Probably better than me having a stab in the dark at which to buy. Let me know how much.

Well I have a part used blade here for a 20mm bore angle grinder if you would like it pm your address and I'll post it out for you to try :)

I'm afraid mine's a 115mm x 22mm :( thanks for the offer though.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I remember seeing a bottle bottom removed by dropping a ball bearing inside and swirling it around until it breaks. I bet that if you employ dwardo's scoring with the ball bearing, it will be clean and cheap ��

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE