Given it my Awl....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sugs04

Hi all (awl? ;) ),
Part way through my first sheath and I though things were going pretty well until I've gone and snapped my saddlers awl. It was one from le prevo but it felt a bit flimsy being worked through the welt on a 3.5mm hide.

My questions is, do I buy another one, get just a blade to fit into the handle ( looks tricky) or just drill out the rest of the holes on the sheath?

I only have done about 10 of 45 so far......... :eek:

Sugs

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Is it an automatic awl (does the stitching as you go), or a manual awl? If the former, it may be best to get a new one. If the latter, a new blade should be simple to fit. You can certainly drill out the holes if the bit is small enough (same diameter as the needle) and dremmel bits are fine for this. Remember though that drilling removes leather whereas with an awl, you are just separating the fibres. Not a problem for sheaths, but drilling doesn't bode well for leather flasks or tankards as wax tends to leak badly from drilled holes and takes more work to seal up than the time saved from using an awl.

Either method is fine for a sheath though as it's not intended to hold liquids.

Eric

Sep 22, 2005
London
sugs04 said:
Hi all (awl? ;) ),
Part way through my first sheath and I though things were going pretty well until I've gone and snapped my saddlers awl. It was one from le prevo but it felt a bit flimsy being worked through the welt on a 3.5mm hide.

My questions is, do I buy another one, get just a blade to fit into the handle ( looks tricky) or just drill out the rest of the holes on the sheath?

I only have done about 10 of 45 so far......... :eek:

Sugs

I'd recommend getting another blade and fitting it to the handle. The method I use is from Valerie Michael's 'The Leatherworking Handbook' - useful book BTW. Sandwich the business end of a new blade point down between two pennies, hold this assembly vertically in a vice, place the old handle on the other end of the blade and give a few gentle taps with a mallet.

When you buy another blade, buy a few - save yourself some postage.

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I use a cheap awl with a plastic handle that I got from the local pound shop. Round section, sharpened up a bit it works well on up to 4mm and aint broke yet - tho I got 2 to be on the safe side! Not too comfy I guess but I tend not to do BIG projects - it is OK for knife sheaths - and it was great on my leather water bottle made from 1mm goat skin.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Eric_Methven said:
Is it an automatic awl (does the stitching as you go), or a manual awl? If the former, it may be best to get a new one. If the latter, a new blade should be simple to fit. You can certainly drill out the holes if the bit is small enough (same diameter as the needle) and dremmel bits are fine for this. Remember though that drilling removes leather whereas with an awl, you are just separating the fibres. Not a problem for sheaths, but drilling doesn't bode well for leather flasks or tankards as wax tends to leak badly from drilled holes and takes more work to seal up than the time saved from using an awl.

Either method is fine for a sheath though as it's not intended to hold liquids.

Eric

I don't think this is going to be a new trick, but I used one of the saddler's needle I had on the drill stand, it does not cut the leather, but makes neat holes, same size as the needle I use :D I think the leather should close up because I have'nt removed any leather. Well I hope.... :rolleyes: Does heat friction damage the leather though :confused:

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I find if I use round awl the holes heal up before I can sew them.

To help prevent it breaking make sure you keep it sharp. If you are pushing so hard that it breaks it's not cutting properly.

I've also managed to hook the ends of them so I harden them up by heating and quenching the first 1/4"

S

sugs04

Thanks all for your comments.

I decided to drill the rest of the holes using my smallest drill bit. It seemed to work very well - much easier and quicker than the awl but if my awl hadn't broke I would have carried on with that method.

All done now, stitched and drying after being wetformed.

Thanks for your help. :)

Sugs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE