Gill net advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Hello all,

I am currently sorting out some coast survival. Got a couple of the fold out pots for crabs etc, and now want to make a Gill net.

Plan is to get a 30m net and I am wondering what size holes to get,

these are the options - 60mm, 70mm - 2 1/3' , 80mm - 3 2/3' , 90mm.

I know it depends on what you want to catch, On my coastal course we caught a couple Sea Bass, some dogfish and a mullet. All tasted amazing.

So what size do people use for what catch? im assuming smaller would be better for survival.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Cheers

Lee

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Gill-nets? Invention of the devil - nearly wiped out the sea-bass population a few years ago around Cornwall due to irresponsible use of gill-nets. And remember that - once a fish is caught in a gill-net, it will suffer too much damage to the very sensitive gills to survive if released.

You'll have to be careful - if you really MUST use them - about what you catch, as the probability is with smaller holes you'll take juvenile fish of some species - like sea-bass, which you can get prosecuted for.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
I thought this was the survival forum? I was opening discussion on the size of Gill net opening.

I am aware of poaching and anglers hating gillnets and the legality's of use.

Thanks Tenderfoot, I am not the kind of person who would use one irresponsibly.

Thanks Humpback. is that 50mm a size that works for seabass but doesn't take juvenile fish?

well done to you marcus2, fight the good fight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It might well be the bushcraft & survival skills forum, but this question would be better asked in Fair Game ......under hook line and sinker.

Duly moved.

Toddy

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Thanks Toddy, the reason I posted it in the survival forum was because I don't consider Gill nets as "fishing" but more a survival skill. I work in ocean conservation and humanitarian projects, I don't eat fish I haven't caught for all the reasons you can think of. My work consists of expeditions on boats and in remote locations. I am making a survival kit which may be used in anger one day a long way from immediate help.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What you are asking is contentious in a British setting.
Even describing it as 'survival' hasn't stopped that response.

The people who are most likely to be able to assist you will read hook, line and sinker, and we have the standard warnings and disclaimers about the site and non advocation of illegal activity already in place here.

Toddy

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Ahh thats cool, thanks mate. I was just explaining as I didn't want to get anyone's hackles up about an information quest. I went for seabass size as that's in size to snapper etc that I have fished for in the tropics :)

Cheers

anymore advice in this forum would be much appreciated.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
personally i think 2'' mesh is a little small, i would opt for 3'', a quarter of an inch either bigger or smaller is ok, i am referring to measurements being taken as ''full diamond mesh'', knot to knot on the full diamond shape, for good advice on fishing nets and size requirements you could contact a good fishing net supplier like Bridport Nets, a quarter of an inch makes a big difference to the size of fish you catch, depending on species of course.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Thanks everyone that's great, I found a guy on Ebay doing net for about £16 delivered, from germany (nets from Japan...would be.). Think ill go for a 30m one, half it for tangle and go for 3 inch. Bit of leadline on the bottom, float rope on the top. Wrap it up and stick it in my kit.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I know you've said it's for use overseas, but...
Buying something on the internet doesn't make possessing it legal!
To my understanding, the use or carriage (effectively ownership, depending on location) of any mono-filament net under 250 mm (that's 25 cm) is against the law under the Inshore Fishing (Mono-filament Gill Net) (Scotland) Order, 1997. I assume it's a similar situation in the rest of Britain.

But to put things properly into perspective, those who depend on the fishing for the survival of their very way of life in remote communities on the north west coast and are practicing fishing by sustainable means, rod, long-lining and creel fishing, are being frustrated at every turn in their efforts against commercial boats coming into what are essentially inshore breeding grounds of the shore-line and sea lochs and dredging the bottom. Particular damage is being caused in the interests of putting prawns onto the tables of restaurants from London to Tokyo. I saw the damage with my own eyes when I dived into 30 metres of water off the village of Shieldaig a couple of years ago.
It looked like a farmer had been through it with a plough!

You might think this doesn't apply to what you have in mind, but a stranger with a gill-net will spur these people to call in Fisheries Protection. They also know that you have to beach your boat somewhere, and I for one wouldn't choose to go for a pint in the Applecross Inn after a day's gill-netting!

Neither would I recommend taking it for a stroll anywhere near a salmon or trout river or estuary. Don't take my word for it though, try the Border Esk or The Solway!

ps; I know this isn't the appropriate section. My last word on the matter, honest!

Last edited:

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Difficult question to answer, because it's going to be tricky for you to use that net in the UK without laying yourself open to possible prosecution - not impossible, but tricky. Here's my understanding - I'm not a lawyer, but I am a professional fisherman.

First, monofilament gill nets of that mesh size are unequivocally illegal to use, possess, or even transport, anywhere in Scotland. Freshwater/saltwater, doesn't matter - if you're caught with it you will likely lose everything you have with you at the time, including a car or a boat.

In England+Wales ((E+W) they are not legal to use in freshwater unless you have a specific licence. Again, the Environment Agency have the power to seize just about anything you have with you at the time.

It is not illegal per se to use them in the sea off E+W unless there are specific local bye-laws, but your use of the net may well attract scrutiny from locals or fisheries officers, and you will need to be whiter than white in keeping yourself on the right side of legal. That means you can't sell any of your catch, your mesh size and method of fishing must be legal for the species that you retain, and any fish you retain must be of legal landing size.

So in principle, and as I understand it, if you were to fish for bass or mullet for personal consumption with a net of legal mesh size (90mm absolute minimum I think, but 115mm (4 1/2 inch) would be better) and didn't retain any undersized fish, any species for which that mesh size is illegal, or any sea trout or salmon, then you would be OK to use it in saltwater off E+W.

You might well decide that it's likely to cause you more grief than it's worth, as sea anglers, local fishermen and fisheries officers have a real downer on unlicenced gill netting and you may end up having some "interesting" conversations even if you are technically complying with the law.

Like I said, that's my understanding, but a lot of this information is not easy to find and changes frequently - particularly legal mesh sizes - so you need to check out the details for yourself. Or even phone your local Fisheries Office - if you explain what you are looking to do and ask them how to stay within the law, you might find them surprisingly helpful.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Sorry for the thread resurrection.

Can anyone confirm that it is illegal to own a gill net in Scotland? My understanding is that it is illegal to use one anywhere in Scotland, and also illegal to carry one in a fishing boat:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legRes...ageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&activeTextDocId=3005914

I don't see possession prohibited, or anything about it being illegal to carry one in a car.

I'm interested in carrying a small gill net solely as a survival aid for an emergency situation.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
I'm interested in carrying a small gill net solely as a survival aid for an emergency situation.

Multi-mono gill nets are OK in Scotland, subject to the disclaimers above: salt water, mesh size legal for fish you retain, don't keep undersized fish. A bit tricky to use without some sort of boat, however. Monofilament gill nets are absolutely illegal to use in fresh or salt water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE