Giant puffball

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Found my first of the year today. That's my dinner sorted :)

182364_10150930900383077_58372949_n.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I always seen to find them in a field that has had cattle in it at some time and also evidence of stinging nettles.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Yeah it is a good size. Tonight I'm going to cut it into soldiers and fry them in beaten egg, and serve with asparagus and soft boiled eggs.

I tend to find them in old pasture land as someone already said. This was in a sheep field.

Mar 18, 2012
london
I found a circle of VERY large puffballs a couple of years ago, picked the biggest, (typical) and cooked it ala river cottage, it was absolutely horrible!!!! it tasted like i had cooked it in fairy liquid!!! proper turned me off them!!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I found a circle of VERY large puffballs a couple of years ago, picked the biggest, (typical) and cooked it ala river cottage, it was absolutely horrible!!!! it tasted like i had cooked it in fairy liquid!!! proper turned me off them!!
should have picked the smallest, as soon as the flesh starts to become soft rather than resilient they are no good.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice find, that does seem early. Strange weather this year perhaps. That's got me hank Marvin thinking about the egg and asparagus with puffball! Enjoy...

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I found a load of them last night in the sand dunes at the local beach, I did not expect to find them there ? They were 1" to 2" in diameter but were on the turn and had started to go soft so I left them there.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Very nice find Mafro. There was nothing on Monday were I have found them before. Did find a couple of weeping bollettes also earlier than last year. Slugs had got there 1st unfortunately

Mike

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I found a load of them last night in the sand dunes at the local beach, I did not expect to find them there ? They were 1" to 2" in diameter but were on the turn and had started to go soft so I left them there.

Puffballs that are 1-2" and already sporulating won't be giant's (Calvatia gigantea), did they have 'dusty spines' coating them? I found some puffballs near the coast last year. Yours might be Vascellum pratense (meadow puffball) or most likely Handkea utriformis. syn. Lycoperdon utriforme or Calvatia utriformis ('Mosaic' or Sand Dune puffball)

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
There was a cluster of massive ones at Martin mere wwt yesterday. somehow one ended up in my rucksack!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE