Ghillie kettles - are they any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
I like the look of these things - build a fire in the base and down the middle with twigs and you can cook on the top if you get the special pan too. Unfortunately it looks like you can't hang them over a fire though.

Around £42 - £57 (depending on the cooking attachment or not) for a one litre jobbie from the Bushcraftstore.

Question is though: Are they any good or is a simple hanging billy can the better option?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got one, and it gets used.
It depends though. If it has to be carried it's a pain; it's not heavy but it is bulky.
It really, really works to give ample hot water in a hurry though :approve:
It doesn't work hanging over the fire like a kettle, it burns the backside out of it doing that, but with care it can be used on the fire for the couple of minutes it takes to boil water. The base is a relatively good cooker in it's own right, especially if you have hot embers after boiling up the kettle for coffee. Sit and enjoy the coffee while your breakfast fries :D

Horses for courses I reckon. Canoe or car, yes. Lightweight backpacking for one ? well, I wouldn't.

cheers,
Toddy

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I'd agree with Toddy, great if you're not carrying it in a backpack. I owned one for a bout a week (long enough to satisfy my curiosity;))

Big and bulky, if you're back packing a Billy and/or a small kettle to hang over the fire is better.

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got the little Kelly version and I carry it most times I'm out. Usually if I'm out in the canoe but also for day walks, messing in the woods and out with pals and their working dogs.
They are bulky and a bit of a p.i.t.a to pack but I just like how efficient they are and the fact that the fuel is free. It's a good excuse to get a little fire going and get smokey too.
If I'm out for the day I'll take a 30L pack with the Kelly in, a bag of pencil thick kindling, a couple of Nalgene bottles, brew bag and a cup.
The Honey Stove is a good packable alternative but nowhere near as fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE