Getting trangias to blossom quicker.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
oh lesson learned no worries on my part, and with the meths it wasn't an issue but something like petrol? egads!
i'd thought it had been sat long enough basically, i was exceptionally wrong, but you live you learn.
which film btw? is it on youtube?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi, I have a swedish army trangia and a civvy model but my army trangia takes ages to blossom.
How can I reduce the time it takes for the flame to come up to the full blossom?
Asa.

You could try nuking it from orbit? Then you might get a cup of tea before expiring from old age !

No they do have their place and their fans... sorry I'm just not and never have been.

GB.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
No 1 burners: I was told there was a special course called burners and lamplighters to do before I was promoted to CQMS-------Well, it was learn the hard way.more often ending in a petrol vapour explosion in the firpit under the cookstand, resulting in a tremendous WHOOSH with a loss of armhair and eyebrows

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lidl's are selling a pack of two small round cork mats for 79p just now. One of them is ideal under the burner, and the other under the pot on your knee, and they fit inside neatly with all the bits too :cool: :D

cheers,
Toddy

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
just take a sheet and fold it into a square to make it a little thicker (so it doesn't rip etc - or use industrial foil).

I agree with the other guys that the civvie version is better - comes with a simmer ring/snuffer. Trouble is it wont fit the army version as the burner has a smaller diameter.

Millets/Blacks stock the civvie Trangia Solo - http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/reviews/mini-trangia-review.htm - (sorry its not on their site, but i know they have it in store for about £20. Come with a pot and the pot gripper (£7 on its own!) - Great bit of kit.

Here's something I've found useful, go to a diy store and get a plumbers soldering mat for about £3. it's a black fibreglass mat about the size of a hankerchief. You could cut it smaller. Pack this with the burner (but not in the pots unless in a sealed plastic bag or you will eat glass fibres).

This cloth will insulate the burner from the ground but more interestingly you can pour some meths on it and light it so that it pre-heats the burner up quickly.

i just use a coke can burner the pressure one its a lot faster than a Trangi Bucket burner priming and boiling and yes insulation is paramount with these things which is why they dont work in a crusader cooker :rolleyes: unless you stand em on match sticks
any way moved on dont use meths for cooking :D

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
:jacked:

Well kind of.

I've used the 'pour meths in the small grove' method, seemed to work well enough.

Now the jack, I have issues with the burner flaring up when the simmer ring is used, flares up quite nicely. Problem with the simmer, burner or to much meths. Admittedly I do probably over fill, will try not shoving so much in next time.

Dec 3, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hi, I have a swedish army trangia and a civvy model but my army trangia takes ages to blossom.

How can I reduce the time it takes for the flame to come up to the full blossom? Would insulating it from the ground help? If so what could I use?

Thanks for the help :)

Asa.

Asa,

The best way that i did this was to fit and aluminium cat food cat to the bottom of my burner as this then gave me 1/8th inch gap between the bruner and the ground and being a sealed pocket of air this meant that when i primed the burner then i was not trying to heat the grond that the bruner was sitting on.

I will post some pictures if you need them.

Pommie

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Insulate from the ground will help but getting a proper Trangia burner will help a lot more; forget the Tataonka versions, they are slow too.

S

scott mcmillan

these are me favourite stoves. no moving parts . yes they can be a little odd to get going if cold ( but so am i).
in the past i have spent weeks at a time living in snow caves on one and can't think of another system i would trust not to brake down. when it counts.

one word of warning when running a mlc training course a few years ago a student turned one into a fire bomb bigger than a mini bus that when 200 feet up in the air. it would have looked good in any 007 film, but not good on a welsh hilside 5 miles from the road

what he had done was fill the unit with meths before we started out (as we all do when we are saving space). that night he couldnt get the screw top of the unit so borrowed the lid from another student. turned it upside down, filled it with more meths and stood it on the cooker unit. he then lit it and started to cook his dinner. heating the one with the stuck on lid underneath untill it went bang !!!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've got one of the "civvy" trangias now and it's much faster to blossom than the army version. Also, the honey stove I got for my birthday keeps it off the ground :D

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
what he had done was fill the unit with meths before we started out (as we all do when we are saving space). that night he couldnt get the screw top of the unit so borrowed the lid from another student. turned it upside down, filled it with more meths and stood it on the cooker unit. he then lit it and started to cook his dinner. heating the one with the stuck on lid underneath untill it went bang !!!

Nice trick :eek:

Podcast Bob

There's one thing missing from all this advice and that is, during this time of year, to get the meths to body temperature first. It'll be easier to light and will bloom faster.

Just pop the bottle in your pocket for a few minutes, and the burner as well to heat things up.

Secondly, get a plumbers pad as mentioned above, for a few pounds and this will protect the ground and insulate the cooker while it does its stuff.

Happy cooking ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE