Getting Started

WoodenMoose

Sep 8, 2010
South Yorkshire
Hi All,

I know you've answered this kind of question a thousand times before, but cant find something directly relating to what im after so thought id ask again.

Im after getting the basics under my belt so i can start using these skills as and when i can. Initially some tuition in the basic bushcraft tools of the trade, setting up a camp and fire building would be good, these with some crafting element would be great. And getting this in the yorkshire area would be top notch. Ive seen woodsmoke mentioned a few times, which is near windimere from what i can gather? .. which isnt too far away. But cant find a website or anything for them ..

Also am curious to know if any courses out there are more recognised than others? Or is it about building up as much knowledge as you can and then taking a qualification when your happy that you know enough?

Thanks for any help.
Appreciated.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
Most courses would teach you the basic skills you are after and most schools offer a more advanced course, not sure why you would want a qualification though? I'm sure someone could advise you on schools local to Yorkshire

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi All,

I know you've answered this kind of question a thousand times before, but cant find something directly relating to what im after so thought id ask again.

Im after getting the basics under my belt so i can start using these skills as and when i can. Initially some tuition in the basic bushcraft tools of the trade, setting up a camp and fire building would be good, these with some crafting element would be great. And getting this in the yorkshire area would be top notch. Ive seen woodsmoke mentioned a few times, which is near windimere from what i can gather? .. which isnt too far away. But cant find a website or anything for them ..

Also am curious to know if any courses out there are more recognised than others? Or is it about building up as much knowledge as you can and then taking a qualification when your happy that you know enough?

Thanks for any help.
Appreciated.

WoodenMoose,

my advice would be to come along to the meets, folks are generous with the knowledge on what you're looking for and it would be a lot cheaper than a course. There's a meet in Coventry at the end of this month but it may be a bit of a trek from where you're based. hth.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
WoodenMoose,

my advice would be to come along to the meets, folks are generous with the knowledge on what you're looking for and it would be a lot cheaper than a course. There's a meet in Coventry at the end of this month but it may be a bit of a trek from where you're based. hth.

Ditto...the members on here are very eay going & most love to share their skills with others.

There is a meet over in Manchester next month...search for Middlewood and you'll see the type of thing that goes on.

Simon

WoodenMoose

Sep 8, 2010
South Yorkshire
I was looking into a few folk getting together in Spitewinter nr chestfield in October, but didnt want to go along without the basics and rely on other people to tutor me through.

Though i might still raise my head and go an say hi.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The meets are ideal places to get started.

People are very helpful and don't look down on fresh faces, because we all started somewhere.

I certainly wish I had gone to meets earlier than I did because I learned so much and it would have saved me from a few mistakes I made along the way.

The trick is to ask, most people will not just wade in to offer help unasked because for all they know, you might want to work things out for yourself.

But if you ask, it is a great way to meet people and it gives them an opportunity to use their experience to help you, or at the very least point you in the direction of someone else that can help.

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Meets are the way to go, going to that first meet will be one of the best bush craft decisions you will make.

If you come to the middlewood meet i will see you there. Its a 540 mile round trip for me but it will be worth it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE