Getting started...sort of...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
To begin with, a big hello to everyone on BushcraftUK. I know it's all automated in terms of registration, but it still feels like I just got accepted to join the cool kid's gang.

Anyhow, I've long had a love for self sufficiency in camping, a well as the cool, neat little tricks you do to make life easier when you are out on the trail, but until now, I haven't really pursued it. I hate to sound silly, but it was watching Ray Mears' Bushcraft series recently that really sparked my love, and I immediately set out to the Lakes to camp. Not wild camping though. I didn't feel quite ready for that...

Everything went lovely. Better than expected really for someone who has so little knowledge. I do retain a sense of pride though at my common sense. Thinking things through, rather than assuming, or diving in headfirst, is one of the most important skills in life in my honest opinion.

I made fire with my firesteel, somehow managing to light Old Man's Beard on the first night, which I have since learnt is rather hard to accomplish, then Birch on subsequent nights once I given some tips. I made resin candles, a rudimentary bow and arrow, canoed on Derwent Water, and was shown by the lovely people at Keswick Canoe and Bushcraft how to properly use the bow and drill method, which was a roaring success, no pun intended.

Since coming home, I have continued my research, what with a new job eating up valuable Bushcrafting time, and have begun to learn tree identification, and useful knots, a task I am already well used to as I spend a good portion of my time making paracord bracelets and bars and have been doing so for 2 years (field useful ones though, none of this two tone malarky. A good length of cord for me, thank you very much!).

Either way, I was wondering if any of you fine people had any advice on what to learn next, or whether I should keep going over what I've already learnt. Living in the heart of Manchester is a bit of an ache a well, as I'm not sure where to go to practice, or wild camp, so any help on location, or possibly even meets, would be great.

I will going on the Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft course next year, but I don't want to be idle until then, so any help would be great.

Thanks again,

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum.

This is one place where you will get lots of advice on what to learn next.

I have edited your post though as the forum has specific rules on commercial sales.

Cheers

George

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Welcome Matt (no pun intended)!

Even a walk in the park can provide useful tree/plant spotting opportunities. There are plenty of other things you can make with paracord or other cordage (you can make some from nettles without a knife, although a small penknife wouldn't be a problem to carry). Sounds like you're getting stuck in, I'm sure there'll be a meet near you, it's a beautiful part of the country once you're outside the city!

In the comfort of your own home you could practice knife sharpening, spoon carving, leatherwork - all sorts of things.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome along mate. Dont think that you have to go on an organised trip out. I class walking the dog as a bushcraft adventure. My mutt gets very impatient waiting for me to do things when we are out. Paracord is a very versatile item and its great to have some man knitting skills.

Meets are great though and there is one near manchester at Giants Seat. Check out the northern bit of the social section

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE