Getting nutrients in.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its coming up to winter now and everyone seems to be getting some terrible lurgy.

If your immune systems down (everyone now) then even a cold might be a few days in bed. (And you cant have jabs against colds.)

Dad is still very healthy, has had all his jabs.

But. He is at that stage in life in which a minor ailment is potentially a major booboo, and he will in minutes age twenty years. (As I saw him when he had a minor stomach bug a few months back).

Its frightening.

So I have stocked up with tinned soup and paracetamols.

Im envisioning if he gets ill he wont eat, but then he will keep his fluids up. When he recovers he will eat plenty of soup.

However I was thinking more, -a nutrient drink? But I doubt he will go near Complan.

We have a shop locally that stocks bodybuilders nutrient products...they indeed have products that they believe in this sort of scenario would be helpful, -but in big tubs.

I need things in individual packets.

What would you do?

(This is planning for me, as well).

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Ask your doctor,they can provide you with small individual drinks,about the same size as say a Yakult drink.They contain vitamins and nutrients that your body needs.They are called Ensure.Amazon sell them,200ml in each bottle,15 bottles for 25.00.Depending on where you are,and your Dad's age, you might get them for free via your doctor.Hope this helps.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ask your doctor,they can provide you with small individual drinks,about the same size as say a Yakult drink.They contain vitamins and nutrients that your body needs.They are called Ensure.Amazon sell them,200ml in each bottle,15 bottles for 25.00.Depending on where you are,and your Dad's age, you might get them for free via your doctor.Hope this helps.
Great answer!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One of the more useful sports products is EAA (Essential Amino Acids) + glutamine. Pure amino acid mixture that bypasses a few metabolic steps and acts quite fast.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not being cheeky Tengu, but simply one a day Vitamin D does a heck of a lot to not only boost the way we feel, but ups the ante on the immune system too.
Keep it up kind of thing, instead of fretting when it takes a hit.

M

• Love
Reactions: Brizzlebush and TLM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not being cheeky Tengu, but simply one a day Vitamin D does a heck of a lot to not only boost the way we feel, but ups the ante on the immune system too.
Keep it up kind of thing, instead of fretting when it takes a hit.

M

Vitamin D and Zinc.

Vitamin D tablets are not as effectively absorbed as the Spray so consider something like this:-

For food supplement I'd ignore anything sports related - he's not going to utilise much protein at his age anyway so give the Whey powder and BCAA aminos a wide berth and just give him some nice Flavoured Ice cream to keep his overall calories up.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I use multivits from justvitamins as a topup, It's kind of strange because I don't seem to feel a great deal of difference taking them, but I do when I don't, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In biochemistry, a vitamin acts like the tip on a screw driver. Particular shape for a particular job.
Clearly, if there's not enough, some biochemistry can't be done well.
You can't stockpile vitamins, you need a steady intake.
In times of stress (like winter), your body sheds vitamins and you cannot control that at all.
A good strategy is a daily vitamin supplement, no matter how good a cook you are with balanced meals. The thinking is to always be "loaded" with enough that you need.

I've been taking Centrum 50+ multivitamin daily for a long time. I like to think that I have staved off a number of respiratory issues that have been "going around" over a couple of decades.

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I taught university courses, mostly biology, pre-med biochem, those sorts of things. The place was a cess-pool of respiratory infection epidemics every February. Thousands of people crammed into small spaces, dripping with snot, coughing and sneezing, wheezing all damn day.
In 30+ years, I took 3 sick days. I know how to beat this shirt.
A daily multivitamin is cheap insurance. Wash your hands for no less than 30 seconds by the clock. Don't touch your face, your eyes and nose in particular.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Tengu

May I ask, why he won't take them?

I'm a Scot. Our government recommends that everyone takes VitaminD for eight months of the year at a minimum, even if your diet is good.

I know we're generally more cloud covered than further south, but the difference isn't that enormous that taking vitamins ought to be precluded.

Reactions: TeeDee

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I neglected to add that I take a couple of other , over-the-counter supplements because I know what they do. I take a magnesium citrate cap as the med lab says I'm very low (general protein synthesis).

Like Toddy points out, Vitamin D can be hard to come by in the gloomy and northern places. I do not and will not get out and about enough to stimulate that Vit D synthesis, so I've got some of that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE