Getting fitter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good on ya mate, keep up the good work. I bet seeing those kinds of results is really spurring you on.

Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks.. My 18yr old Son spurs me on.. He's a machine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201107_223146.jpg
    Screenshot_20201107_223146.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Decided that I needed to do a bit more, I walk to and from work in the region of 4.6 to 5.3 miles a day with a 9-11kg rucksack at a fair lick, however I decided that my upper body was getting weak, so like a fool I had a go at the marsoc short card. I couldn't make all the reps but gave it a go. One to persevere with

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Decided that I needed to do a bit more, I walk to and from work in the region of 4.6 to 5.3 miles a day with a 9-11kg rucksack at a fair lick, however I decided that my upper body was getting weak, so like a fool I had a go at the marsoc short card. I couldn't make all the reps but gave it a go. One to persevere with
I started off my first few months doing follow along workouts by a guy named Bullyjuice on youtube.
Still do to be fair, usually on rest days or where i just wanna get a quick session in.
It's mostly aerobic but hes really good for building that foundational strength too.

Helped with my initial form for the exercises and also making the workouts a habit, etc. Also feels like someones there with you which gives you the extra motivation n that.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
And to be fair you should push until failure.

Good on you for doing it, that's the main thing just do it. Ya not going to want to do it everyday but just do it anyway.
Of course you should listen to your body too, if you're properly exhausted and what not, it doesnt matter if you miss a day. Diet and rest are probably more important than the exercise itself.

Reactions: stevec and Greg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have had rheumatoid arthritis for nearly thirty years now. My joints ache.
Covid-19's restrictions left me even more restricted in where I can walk, and no swimming or the like.
I could feel the inactivity causing me to end up with swollen legs and ankles with oedema....and watching my diet and salt intake wasn't shifting it.
So, I looked at exercise machines....cycling is a misery for me, I have hip issues and damage of my lower spine. Mostly I'm fine, honestly I am, I move around my home and garden and it's not distressing. I can't stand still for half an hour in a queue though without wanting to cry, and I manage about half a mile's walk before the ache really, really hurts.

I bought a glider, and it was flawed before it arrived. We built it up and realised that it couldn't work. Company refunded us fully and asked us to dispose of it. Having seen the size of it though I was already having second thoughts, and trying to find something that would fold up like a set of steps.

The desk I'm sitting at just now (1930's oak, pleasingly solid and simple but 'right' ) has a big space in the middle for knees, so I bought a mini exerciser. Like this... (I bought mine from someone else on eBay, but they don't have them anymore, this is just a link. I paid £23.99 for mine, delivered)

It's been excellent. My legs are stronger, muscle tone is good, the oedema has gone, I actually get out of breath ten times a day using it. I unscrewed the strap things that are meant to keep my feet in place because they were a pest, but otherwise I use it just as it is. And, I do use it. It surprised me, and it has surprised and pleased me to feel myself fitter just for using it.

If you have someone in the family who is sedentary, elderly or perhaps sitting at a desk for work for hours on end, or like me and unable to put stress on joints, etc., maybe think about spending the twenty five quid or so on this for them.
Make sure it's somewhere that they'll find it easy to use and encourage them that within a week they'll notice a difference in themselves.
I did and I'm pleased I bought it. It's a good thing :cool:

M

Reactions: stevec

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Since our son came along nearly 8 years ago my formerly active life gradually decreased to what feels like total inactivity now. It's not but compared to what I used to do and be capable of that's how it feels.

I used to commute 4 days a week to work at 7 miles each way, weekend walks or cycle trip. Summer cycle tour too. This past year I've stopped commuting by bike because my hours have moved forward an hour and I got out of the habit during furlough. I had previously reduced it from 4 days commute to maybe one or two before furlough anyway.

Now we live in a terraced house with only a back yard. I can't set up the turbo inside because it'll wake our son up at night or early morning. I hate jogging. I'm unlikely to ride in the dark for fitness with motorists round this way, maniacs!!! So I'm left with shortish dog walks at night and weekend walks Saturday and Sunday. I'm not bothered by weight going on because I've always been able to reduce food intake according to needs plus a fastish metabolism helps. It's the fitness I'm missing. Used to gym 4 or 5 days a week doing nearly 2 hours. Add in challenge walks up to 50 miles in 16 hours. I would walk 25 miles at pace and not even feel it. One 50 miler I was walking the first 25 miles at 4.4mph average with speed including stops at feed stations so moving speed was a lot higher.

Anyway that was then and now I'm looking for solutions. To be used it needs to be set up and ready to use. Impossible in our house but we're moving to a house with a 20 foot long garage under the house. Soundproofed it'll make a perfect home gym. I'll set up my old road bike on the smart turbo. There's a selection of dumbbells and kettlebells. I'll learn how to use the kettlebells properly and hopefully with the turbo for CV exercises it'll be a start.

I'm thinking of something else to compliment what we've got. I fancy a concept 2 rower. My old gym instructor told me a good rowing ergometer is the best machine for efficient CV training followed closely by a good stepper. He said the bike is least effective and the treadmill isn't much better. Having pushed myself on a stepper I know I'm get more of a workout in 15 minutes of a stepper than 30 minutes on a treadmill and nearly an hour on an exercise bike.

My other thought was a cheapish bench with weights costing £130 at Argos or a cheaper multigym costing £180 also at Argos. The former has bench, weights stand for bench press, preacher curl pad and leg raise pads plus weight attachment. A low weight but it'll be good to start possibly enough as I'm only toning not bulking up. The multigym has various pulleys and a weight stack higher than the weights on the bench setup.

I prefer pulleys because you can't drop a weight on yourself so safer on my own.

As there seems to be some on here who seem to have studied how to plan your own exercise regime I thought I'd ask what do you think I should get? Gym, bench, expensive rowing machine possibly a ski erg or bike erg or something else? Do I live with what I've got and develop a routine to my exercise or take the expensive chance on a big purchase? I think I'm the sort who gets motivated by a purchase more than anything else. I hate wasting money!! What's most important at first, CV or strength training? Over time we could get more kit but up front it's one big purchase at most.

Can anyone give me advice or recommendations?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm a complete novice mate you'd probably laugh if you saw me but I would say youre pretty good to go with dumbbells and a pull up bar. You can get some good strength and cardio in just using them.

Also consider bodyweight strength training as a good place to start. Minimal equipment and space needed and construct a workout around what you CAN do for now.

Cardio is the hard bit.
But theres all sorts of ways you can get around it.

A good start could be doing what i think are called supersets where you do your sets between different exercises without rest and only rest when youve done 1 set of all the exercises.
That will get you panting. Also if you target the same muscle group in a couple of the different exercises one after another, thats supposed to be really good for building muscle, gets a good pump on.

Like i said though im just beginning, i live by "if in doubt, get google out"
Or youtube it.
So far so good though

Ive recently started pushbiking to work, wind blowing in my face all the way there, gets to the top of this hill, huffing and puffing...
Some lycra clad OAP comes cycling up from behind me, seemingly out of nowhere and says "Morning mate, hard work init!"
Then casually zoomed off like it was nothing i couldve swore at him if it wasn't so funny.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It is hard work. I’m lucky enough to live in the South Downs and have a couple of dogs needing walking each day. I often take the flatter strolls or do pretty much nothing and use a ball chucker to exercise them (or exorcise, they are terriers :rolleyes2:). I’ve started doing the hills twice a day and often have to spend a few moments pretending to admire the view while my heart tries not to explode and the ragged panting subsides. It is getting easier, noticeable not daily but certainly weekly.

I keep seeing a runner literally sprinting up and then walking back down and then doing it again, and again. We nod to each other, he knows. ;)

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I keep
Looking at the body weight strap things as I went through phases of hitting the gym every morning to not.
My overall steps are down since March, it is amazing how much difference having the kettle within a few feet makes.
My plan is to start walking more and more, we’ve got a puppy so I’ll be building up to it as I build him up and when the rink opens up, I’m continuing with my skating lessons.
I tried running but did something to my calf and it isn’t clearing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm a complete novice mate you'd probably laugh if you saw me but I would say youre pretty good to go with dumbbells and a pull up bar. You can get some good strength and cardio in just using them.

Also consider bodyweight strength training as a good place to start. Minimal equipment and space needed and construct a workout around what you CAN do for now.

Cardio is the hard bit.
But theres all sorts of ways you can get around it.

A good start could be doing what i think are called supersets where you do your sets between different exercises without rest and only rest when youve done 1 set of all the exercises.
That will get you panting. Also if you target the same muscle group in a couple of the different exercises one after another, thats supposed to be really good for building muscle, gets a good pump on.

Like i said though im just beginning, i live by "if in doubt, get google out"
Or youtube it.
So far so good though

Ive recently started pushbiking to work, wind blowing in my face all the way there, gets to the top of this hill, huffing and puffing...
Some lycra clad OAP comes cycling up from behind me, seemingly out of nowhere and says "Morning mate, hard work init!"
Then casually zoomed off like it was nothing i couldve swore at him if it wasn't so funny.

Weight training is anaerobic exercise it doesn't provide good cardio exercise... To do that you have to raise your heart rate up to between 70-80% maximum heart rate (220 - your age)
And keep it at that rate for at least 45mins for your cardio-vascular system to improve.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just as a guide for those who don't know or know very little about different types of fitness.

Max Heart Rate = 220 - Your Age

Fat Burning = 60-70% max HR
(Long Walks 45mins + at approx 3mph)

Cardio-Vascular = 70-80% max HR
(Running, X-Trainer, Cycling, etc 45mins+)

Do those exercises minimum 2-3 sessions a week

Weight Training = Good all round body toning and strength..High Calorie Burn if your session is 2hrs +

Fat Burning and CV exercises are Aerobic none explosive actions.

Weight Training is Anaerobic with explosive movements.

For those that can.
Doing a mixture of all 3 will give you the best all round fitness and mobility.

And watch your daily calorie intake.
The average person only requires between 1500-2000 calories per day.
One 48g Snickers bar for instance is 244Kcal.... A McDonalds Big Mac on its own is over 500Kcal.
It soon mounts up if you aren't literally watching what you eat.
To lose weight you need to be in calorie deficit without starving yourself.
To maintain weight you have to find your personal calorie intake balance.

To gain weight.. Eat the contents of your pantry and sit and watch daytime TV

Edit:
As Brochquite rightly mentioned.. If you have never done proper exercise before or you are very overweight.. Go see a doctor and have a fitness medical.. You may even get a free 16 week gym referral.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just as a guide for those who don't know or know very little about different types of fitness.

Max Heart Rate = 220 - Your Age

Fat Burning = 60-70% max HR
(Long Walks 45mins + at approx 3mph)

Cardio-Vascular = 70-80% max HR
(Running, X-Trainer, Cycling, etc 45mins+)

Do those exercises minimum 2-3 sessions a week

Weight Training = Good all round body toning and strength..High Calorie Burn if your session is 2hrs +

Fat Burning and CV exercises are Aerobic none explosive actions.

Weight Training is Anaerobic with explosive movements.

For those that can.
Doing a mixture of all 3 will give you the best all round fitness and mobility.

And watch your daily calorie intake.
The average person only requires between 1500-2000 calories per day.
One 48g Snickers bar for instance is 244Kcal.... A McDonalds Big Mac on its own is over 500Kcal.
It soon mounts up if you aren't literally watching what you eat.
To lose weight you need to be in calorie deficit without starving yourself.
To maintain weight you have to find your personal calorie intake balance.

To gain weight.. Eat the contents of your pantry and sit and watch daytime TV

Excellent summary!

It might be worth including a warning that, if one is badly overweight, and/or older, and/or has not done much exercise recently, then hitting 80% of your max heart rate on day one may be catastrophic - if in doubt talk to your doctor!

Reactions: Greg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One point to note about heart rate training is that different exercises are different in terms of training zones and maximum heart rate.

For example for the same level of effort your HR gets higher when running than cycling. Indeed its quite possible to be unable to achieve the highest zone when cycling.

Also, there's so many issues with 220 minus age (200 minus age for women traditionally) that if you're serious about training with hr then investment in a professional assessment to find your VO2 max, max hr, etc might be worth it.

Or simply learn RPE levels instead. For example when I did try to take up running I kept in zone I needed to by every so often singing out loud. You can readily tell the zone by how easy that is and whether I need to ease off or push on a bit. Possibly a better gauge of effort.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One point to note about heart rate training is that different exercises are different in terms of training zones and maximum heart rate.

For example for the same level of effort your HR gets higher when running than cycling. Indeed its quite possible to be unable to achieve the highest zone when cycling.

Also, there's so many issues with 220 minus age (200 minus age for women traditionally) that if you're serious about training with hr then investment in a professional assessment to find your VO2 max, max hr, etc might be worth it.

Or simply learn RPE levels instead. For example when I did try to take up running I kept in zone I needed to by every so often singing out loud. You can readily tell the zone by how easy that is and whether I need to ease off or push on a bit. Possibly a better gauge of effort.
I did say it was only a guide.. Most individuals on here aren't serious athletes.
But yes, everything you have said is correct.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Except I've once reached my theoretical maximum heart rate riding a bike. I think that's possibly because the standard formula underestimated my max hr. I got given a running book on hr training when I bought that hrm. It had a section at the back to use your PBs for various standard distances to allow you to adjust that formula up a bit as appropriate. I didn't run and couldn't so whilst my HR max was higher my running ability was more of a limit factor. My VO2 max was excellent back then. Probably explained the higher hr.

The one good thing about good indoor equipment is how they often have power readings. Only a guide power but it's widely accepted as being a more accurate measure of effort.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Btw it's not the reserve of athletes to make the most of your exercising time. Surely better to use good science and techniques to get the most out of any time you have free to exercise?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE