Getting a handle on a viking axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Some of you may have seen my previous post about my new Stefan Ronnqvist axe.

06062012950.jpg

I love it so far, but I'm having a bit of a problem with the handle. The one pictured hasn't really worked out, I made a bit of a mess of wedging it and so I'm going to have to start again, only this time I want to do it using a natural crook. I've written about it on my blog and there are more pictures there. i would love to hear any advice, especially if any of you have done something similar.
Cheers
Heath

http://holtheathwoodentreen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/trying-to-handle-viking-axe.html

Bri30

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2007
Chester Le Street
Hi
I have just finished handling the same head.
I had access to an original complete version to copy so that made things easier.

I could trace it out full size and post a template to you if that would help?

Materials wise I used a board of ash with the grain running front to back and cut out the shape from that.

HTH

Brian

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi
I have just finished handling the same head.
I had access to an original complete version to copy so that made things easier.

I could trace it out full size and post a template to you if that would help?

Materials wise I used a board of ash with the grain running front to back and cut out the shape from that.

HTH

Brian

That would be fantastic, i'll pm you my address. It would be great to see a pic of your axe.

Bri30

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2007
Chester Le Street
Picys a bit late. Couldnt get them to upload from the phone.

Tracing on the way in the morning.

If you want any other info let me know.

Cheers Briian

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
That Looks great. Thanks for the pics and thanks in anticipation for the template. How do you get on with the axe?

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Template arrived, thanks Brian, you're a star. Just wish it would stop raining long enough for me to start carving.

Bri30

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2007
Chester Le Street
Hi Heath
Just back (been working away)
I havent used my axe yet just handled it.
Got a sheath started whilst I was away, will put a piccy up when its done.

I have used the axe I copied the handle from a fair bit (belongs to Ben at woodsmoke) and they are great carving tools. I found it strange after the SFA but good enough to buy a head when they came up :) and now I have had some hours using it I am well impresed with the versatility and efficiency.

I hope to get a bit of use from mine soon.

Cheers
Brian

Setantii-Tim

Feb 5, 2013
Fylde Coast
Well the Stefan Ronnqvist axe head finally arrived this week, all I need now is the diagram of the original handle. Pruned some large branches off an old ash tree in Winter and saved all the ones with a natural bend, hopefully one will make the perfect handle.
Tim

Setantii-Tim

Feb 5, 2013
Fylde Coast
Yes please Heath. I ordered the axe head in February, it only arrived this week. I have got loads of images but only side on, need to know how wide the shaft is, as if you are looking down the face of the blade.
Tim

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
The template that Brian sent me was only the profile of the handle. The thickness is really a matter of personal preference and the size of your hand. This axe has really taught me the importance of the handle shape. Pm me your address and I'll send you a template.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE