get ready to curse at me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
oh that's right, i got myself another bargain!

i bought a brand new "hennessy hammock (expedition A-sym)" in forest green, the whole nine yards, the one that retails normaly for £99.99!

well i was in my local surplus shop looking for bargains as you do, and i saw the hennassey, on a top shelf, obviously new or nearly new, i sort of hid it back on the shelf not knowing how much it was but knowing i could probably sell some of my old gear and part exchange.

i went home checked the internet, yup, £99.99, ******, well knowing surplus stores i assumed the'y drop the price a little i assumed £50-£75, which i can live with and have enough kit to sell.

anyway, it struck me i didn't actually know the price, or what condition it was in, so i went and asked.....

"that'll be £9.99"..... said the shop keeper,
after the shock and trying desperately to look uneffected, , i said i'll buy it, as with my last bargain (MSR stove £3) i had no cash so i sprinted to the local hole in the wall, got my £10 and handed the cash over.

and walked away grinning, it wasn't till i got it home that i actually got it out and looked at it:

the tarp had not been opened at all, still folded, no crease marks at all.

the hammock has no signs of wear at all! not even sign of use on the velcro, scuff marks, or even wear or creases in the ropes or straps.

it even had the brand new plasticy smell, obviously not been washed or used outside!

as i say the stuff sack still has the card tag to put the price on, so that hasn't got wet or dirty.

and only £9.99!

lucky me, i shall bring it to the moot!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But surely the person who sold it must have bought it for £99, and unused, would have wanted a lot more for it! :?:

So where's this shop again? ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i can only immagine it was an unwanted present (probably for a squaddie that wanted camo or a square basha)that was swopped for something (totally unaware of the price) , there are alot of cheap hammocks out there the shop must have assumed this was one!

i agree a major miscalculation, but, there was no doubt in the assistants mind of the price.

i sort of feel a bit guilty :nono: .....naaaah :nana:

i always have a look at surplus stores just in case this was one of those times!

:eek:):

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Well, if you see any more bargins like that....buy them!!! You could sell them on e-bay for a major profit...or in fact, to one of us lot!!!!

Good for you.

:biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry i can't divulge the store name, it might happen again. :nana:

though i find most surplus stores have this habit of gems hidden away! :biggthump and you are just as likely to find simular bargins at other surplus stores! the more old junk they sell the better.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I can honestly say that in near enough a decade of dealing in the stuff in a small way I've never had anything approaching your luck, usually the reverse in fact, a lot of the dealers seem to think everything is worth telephone numbers.

Best I ever did was a US poncho liner for £3. He wanted a fiver but I persuaded him that as it was new and not "Vietnam Dated" that it was a throwaway....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE