German poncho from S&A - am I expecting too much?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Ordered a olive green poncho from surplus and adventure last thursday.

(link to item here; http://www.surplusandadventure.com/...uine-german-army-olive-waterproof-358507.html )

It arrived today but my joy was short-lived as a found a few small holes in it, the taped seam where the inner tie/belt is stitched on was coming off and the stitching for the tie/belt has torn a holes through the fabric. Also there seems to be a rust like staining along the taped seams on the hood, it looks as though the seams have been repared previously

I know its used and second hand but it is advertised as being "in excellent conditon" on the website, am I expecting too much for a army surplus poncho that cost 9.95 plus pnp

I could have bought others for a few pounds more but the german one has a number of good reports from other members, so thats why I chose it.

I'm seriously considering calling them up and asking for a refund/replacement.

Andy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Ask for a replacement, won't hurt to try. If it doesn't meet your expectations the Distance Selling Regulations entitle you to a refund or replacement if you notify and return pretty much straight-away.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
That was my first thought, but it felt prudent to ask if I was expecting too much. I dont mind a bit of wear and tear but I expect it to be up to the task i.e. waterproof in this case.

Andy

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Don't be had over mate. It may just be an honest mistake after all. If you paid up front for an excellent condition car and when you collected it, it was dented and the seats torn you'd have something to say I bet.

Speak to them and ask nicely. If that doesn't work...DEMAND. It does sound like a mistake though.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Phoned them up explained the situation and was told to pop it back in post with a note explaing wether I wanted a replacement or refund.

I opted for replacement and posted it at an hour ago,

Time will tell now really...

Andy

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Replacement arrived today :D ...but its not much better than the first poncho, no tears this time , few minor holes and a bubbling of the rubberised coating at the neck likc its been exposed to heat ot chemicals.

Decided to quit while I'm ahead and send back and ask for refund.

I just wanted one that was as the website stated "Issued, In excellent condition" Am i expecting too much of Army surplus?

Should I be refunded the cost of posting the ponchos back (Going to be about £9 in total over and above cost of the item? )

Andy

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Why did I never notice that page? :confused: :confused: Thanks for that I'll type out a note and pop it back in the post today hopefully.

Now was I expecting too much? Now to me "Issued, in excellent condition" infered its been used, might have one or two superfical marks / stains etc but other than that its in very good condtion, not well its grubby, there more patches on it than a 20 year old bicycle tyre, and its been damaged at the shoulder area by heat or chemicals leaving the rubber coating bubbled and possibly peeling.

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you should try Raeer in germany. Give them a call in the Hildesheim branch, they speak excellent english and a german poncho is about 9 euros I believe! They will ship to UK too and they are very good.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Mine was in tip top condition. They have seconds which are very much like what you are describing with the seam tapes coming off and rusty fasteners but the A1 class ponchos are just as they should be, in A1 condition. The Ratbag bought one off of me as I had a spare for somebody but couldn't remember who it was and they didn't jog my memory! I bought them when I was in Germany still.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
nice one spamel i have been searching all day for a decent poncho to replace my dutch light weight that has just failed :(

are they listed on the site? (can't speak german)

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I dont speak german either (other than the outrageously stereotypical stuff I gleaned from 'Commando' comics in my youth e.g. "Gotten Himmel!", "Mein Gott!", "Englisher pigdog" and the ubiquitous "Arghhhhh!" :rolleyes: ), so the Raeer website is a bit daunting to say the least.

Andy

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I found the ponchos but havent quite sussed the grades etc
where it says that:
E i n g a b e S c h n e l l s u c h e
Type poncho press 'Suche'

Or
Produktkatalog>Nässeschutz>ponchos etc

Is it 46130? that dude in the pic is worrying me with that look :confused:

or maybe A/B (46131-01-000)

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
Hi, the grades are:

A = new
A/B = mint
B = used
... etc

so I would go for http://www.raeer.com/shopexd.asp?page=&id=12337?var=00000

The 'BW' bit means 'Bundeswehr' which means German Army.

I havn't used their mail order service, but I have visited their store in Hildesheim a few times. Some of their items marked as 'A' are new copies, so keep that in mind if you intend to buy anything else from them - it would probably be best to check by email before you buy.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE