Gerber Ultimate or Prodigy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
One of my football buddy's asked me to see what the views are on these knives as he's tried to buy a BG Ultimate for his son and has had no luck, So I told him about these versions. he texted me this morning to say that he's watched afew vid's on youtube and there doesn't seem to be many on the Ultimate, is this just a Re-named BG Version?.
And before anyone tells him to buy another knife for his son because of the make or Tv personalty it's his money.
Cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Ok thanks for checking, is it in alright condition? And yeah I thought that this was just a good clone of the BG version there's just not that many Reviews out on it yet, I'll give him the nod for this Model.
Cheers

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here’s my review on the original. Surprisingly decent knife.

Reactions: PoppyD

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I already did read that they aren't as bad as they look, but is that really a reason to buy such a nonsense?

Why don't you tell him about Morakniv Garberg and Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
And before anyone tells him to buy another knife for his son because of the make or Tv personalty it's his money.
I already did read that they aren't as bad as they look, but is that really a reason to buy such a nonsense?

Why don't you tell him about Morakniv Garberg and Terävä Jääkäripuukko 110?
He already answered your question.

May be nonsense and not appeal to you. But that doesn’t mean it’s not perfectly fine for someone else if they want it. You’ve listed two knives that are aimed at a completely different market. The BG doesn’t appeal to me but it’s more than a decent knife and it does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

This one has seen many years of abuse from my daughter. A good ten years old now and the original that I reviewed back then. She loved it. Still does. BGs probrammes appealed to her. Although the serrations have been worn down through sharpening, they still work DBF07263-7190-4486-9953-275FFB3A106A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PoppyD

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I’ve got one of the BG knives, I’ve abused it for years now and it’s stil in decent condition. Ok, it doesn’t hold the best edge, but it’s entirely serviceable.
Surprisingly comfortable in the hand too.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I get the vibe about the broad distaste of these products, But if they work for 1 and they enjoy using / looking at it That's alright with me, and frankly his son should get what he and his father want. And trust me it ain't gonna be a family heir loom.
Cheers

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Nevertheless I would tell the guy that Schnitzel Du, Brisa Trapper 95 Scandi or Opinel No7 Carbone are surely the better recommendation for his son if we talk about a teenager.

They can spend their money how they want of course. But I personally would feel the duty to tell him my honest opinion, especially because we seem to talk about a boy here.

(Just the standpoint of an old boy scout leader.)

Last edited:

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Nice JD, and yes in this case it's a mind over matter of fact decision, his son's mind is made up and his fathers ok with that cos he'll be there when it's being used, and trust me when I say he will be on guard watching.
I know this to be Gen because he's watched my back on many of over nighters and longer trips.
Cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've gave that GERBER ''Ultimate'' Knife a pretty good test and to be honest I think it will serve his son's requirements, It feels pretty good in the hand well balanced and sharpish out of the box, the serrations were wicked sharp and yes I'm not a fan of them either but they bloody work, Again the BG Style sheath isn't my cup of brew but the ferro-rod fits into it securely and works although I wasn't trying to break it. the whistle well it works and the Angled diamond sharpener will touch the Plain Section up well the thing lasts.
The hammer Pommel works but the knife's to light really and you learn real quick or painfully to become a good shot.
But the Nylon Back / belt loop and sheath straps are abit flimsy.
it will work and does the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbi and JonathanD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE