Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade

Scullion

Oct 15, 2012
Essex
I'm looking at buying a new knife... and I've got my eye on the Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade....

http://www.gerber-store.co.uk/knives-c1/bear-grylls-ultimate-fixed-blade-knife-serrated-edge-p112

The handle with rubber grip for easy handling, is appealing, along with all the other little mods on the sheath.

There is mixed reviews for it online, but does anyone have any experiences with this knife, and whether it is any good? (Sorry, if I'm dublicating threats, but couldn't find what I was looking for with this blade.)

Any recommendations for other blades would be appreciated. I'm 60% going for it, but need that bit more info to push me either way!!

Cheeeeers,

Scullion.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I was on a course with someone trying to use one for craft skills.....pants basically. He finished up borrowing a moral.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've got one. The fire steel is good, the pommel hammer is nice. However I'm no fan of the serrations, and the grind is bad.

I can do a mean feather stick with it still :D

It would never be a go to knife for me, its just that I'm the type of guy who likes things a little different. Plus when I pull it out at a meet, the looks on people's faces is priceless.

To sum up mate. I wouldn't go there. My Mora is far better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I have the fine edged version, it came blunt, and after sharpening I found that parts of the edge rolled when stropping. Once i put a thicker edge on it, and avoided stropping, it won't shave hair, but will batton and make feathersticks without problems. If you do want to get one, I would recommend getting it from outdoorgb, the are about £10-15 pounds cheaper, avoid ebay and amazon third parties unless they have a lot of feedback, there are a large number of fakes around.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
To be fair you have to use a knife for a long time to gets used to it. I have major trouble with knives due to big hands and find it difficult to find a good knife. Then i tried the bear grylls compact knife and it fits like a glove. I am now used to it and use this or a mora robust or chirs caine knife only. All others thrown away or sold on

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was on a course with someone trying to use one for craft skills.....pants basically. He finished up borrowing a moral.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Using one for craft skills :lmao: Well that is plain dumb. It's akin to using a chainsaw for pruning bonsai trees.

Scullion

Oct 15, 2012
Essex
Thanks everybody, but after reading JonathanD's very amusing and interesting review on the blade, I've decided to go ahead and order it. Expected delivery date.. 30th Oct! :D

Plus when I pull it out at a meet, the looks on people's faces is priceless.

However, I may just keep it as my dirty little secret, lol! I think it would be fair to say though, that most people have written the blade off as a commericalised product... but it seems to do the job!!

Time will tell I suppose............

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Thanks everybody, but after reading JonathanD's very amusing and interesting review on the blade, I've decided to go ahead and order it. Expected delivery date.. 30th Oct! :D

However, I may just keep it as my dirty little secret, lol! I think it would be fair to say though, that most people have written the blade off as a commericalised product... but it seems to do the job!!

Time will tell I suppose............

It does have a lifetime guarantee. Good luck with it.
I'd also recommend putting the lanyard whistle on the fire steel, otherwise it gets in the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Scullion

Oct 15, 2012
Essex
Cheers mate. I'm already not too keen on where that lanyard whistle is, but will sort it out when I get it! Cheeeers!!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I have the fine edged version, it came blunt, and after sharpening I found that parts of the edge rolled when stropping. Once i put a thicker edge on it, and avoided stropping, it won't shave hair, but will batton and make feathersticks without problems. If you do want to get one, I would recommend getting it from outdoorgb, the are about £10-15 pounds cheaper, avoid ebay and amazon third parties unless they have a lot of feedback, there are a large number of fakes around.

There's a good chance that was the burr coming off when stropping, the stone creates that. If you carried on stropping all that burr off you could well have had a shaving sharp knife. An edge shouldn't roll from leather.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
There's a good chance that was the burr coming off when stropping, the stone creates that. If you carried on stropping all that burr off you could well have had a shaving sharp knife. An edge shouldn't roll from leather.

I know, but I was pushing towards the edge, got a good sharp edge which cut shavings from a piece of hazel, and as soon as I stropped a burr formed. Every stroke you could feel the burr move to the other side, and it still happened thirty odd strokes later, the only way I got rid of it was to bend it over with the DMT and push it off, and thicken the edge. I haven't had this happen with any other knife, including the Compact version, which is a great little knife. It was probably my technique, but it only happened in certain spots on the blade, not the whole edge.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I know, but I was pushing towards the edge, got a good sharp edge which cut shavings from a piece of hazel, and as soon as I stropped a burr formed. Every stroke you could feel the burr move to the other side, and it still happened thirty odd strokes later, the only way I got rid of it was to bend it over with the DMT and push it off, and thicken the edge. I haven't had this happen with any other knife, including the Compact version, which is a great little knife. It was probably my technique, but it only happened in certain spots on the blade, not the whole edge.

30 passes isn't a lot of stropping to remove a burr. Saying that I have no experience of these particular knives so I have no idea what they're like. Perhaps now you've removed the burr you could try 50-100 passes on the strop and see if there's a difference? When you say pushing towards the edge do you mean whilst stropping?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE