Gerber Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

I have just bought myself a couple of Gerber axes, one camp axe which is sort of hatchet sized (or a tiny bit bigger) and a very small hand axe with a knife stored in the handle. the knife is a good knife in itself and produces the best sparks I've found from a fire steel.
So far I'm finding them great but wondered if anyone else on here has one and what they are like longer term?
They have a solid forged head and a light weight resin shaft which is supposed to be virtually unbreakable.

Opinions please girls and boys...

thanks,
Phil.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've seen the combi axe/knife from Gerber around.
Perhaps it's just me but I don't really trust things like that. There has to a comprimise surely?

I don't know what the knife is made from but I expect it's a lesser quality stainless for instance.
I'm sure the balance of the axe will be upset as well.

Sorry to diss your new toy, these are just my thoughts.I 'spose it's a case of if you like it....

Cheers

Mark

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Phil

I have one of the Fiskars ones, I've had it now for about 6 or 7 years and it gets used lots for splitting kindling.

While I liked it a lot at first I began to get more and more unhappy with the blade grind profile (its far too steep) and frustrated with the thickness of the head. I gradually found myself using it less and less for anything other than hack and batter jobs. It's very strong, reliable, holds an edge well, is a ****** to sharpen, has an 'interesting' balance and has lasted well through lots of tough battering.
I'm afraid that once I discovered GB axes this one went out to the woodshed and thats where it lives now.

I'd like to like it more - it did a good job for a while, but I'm afraid despite it's strength it's a kindling chopper only now.

George

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cool...thanks all....very helpful and interesting...and also the other tread I read (thanks Leon).
I love my gerber axes so far but will update you all furthe rin months to come.

Cheers,

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE