G'day from WA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G'day from WA* ...

I've been lurking here for a bit, picking up bits of info.

Weekdays I'm sitting on my backside, looking after databases in my "gubmint" job.
Weekends and most other times, it's beach fishing and about to look into freshwater fishing so I can combine my other hobby of bushwalking. Mostly that's on the Bibbulmun Track, but plenty of other places to walk in this corner of Australia.

In particular I collect and use sharp things. Bark Rivers, Helle, Schrade and have had a go at a couple of kits. And in general I'm interested in everything else that can go in my pack or my beloved Delica 4wd van.

I also see some familiar "handles" on this forum. Looking forward to learning and sharing more with old and new friends.

Cheers!

* this was actually a rather sad slogan from our state government a few years back to encourage tourism, but some of us still use the phrase "g'day" :eek:

Thanks everyone!

How does a Delica fare off the tarmac in WA?

Well, BOD, my other passion ...

Nelly the Deli goes everywhere I want it to, and what's more, it gets me back again. I used to have a Land Rover Discovery II, V8 petrol. Bought it the day that petrol started going up in price here. Loved it on the highway and offroad. Brilliant.
But, I never knew if I was going to get me home again. Just a tad unreliable, and never gave any warning it was about to breakdown.
In the last year I had it, I spent $10,000AUD on maintenance and repairs. So far, I've had this Delica (1999 Chamonix 2.8L turbodiesel, 4M40 motor) for a year and it's cost me the same. But that includes the $8,500 purchase price, stamp duty, train tickets and an overnight stay in Kalgoorlie for two to collect it, and the minor repairs I've had done to it. :D
Delicas are fantastic - they're a van with plenty of room, comfortable and reasonably economical. The t/d pulls like a team of draught horses and I've had it everywhere from the beaches and dunes at Wedges Island down to Esperance and back again. I wouldn't say it's a rock-crawler, but I wouldn't be going there anyway. Gravel and mud is not a problem. All this with road tyres and standard height. 220,000km on the clock, and still going strong. It's coming up for summer, and I'm looking forward to those dawn fishing sessions on the beach ... bacon and eggs for brekky as the tailor finish biting. All from the van. :cool:

BOD, I see you're a part-time sandgroper, so you've probably seen some around. Have a look at http://www.delicaclub.com for more info.

(Totally off topic now. Sorry.)

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE