GB SFR Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
Hi all,
I bought my first axe about 8 years ago, a Gransfors Small Forest Axe. It's served me very well and I still get plenty of use out of it. When it was delivered there was a small gash in the top of the sheath at the toe end. I never really cared as the toe didn't really poke through much. Then about a year later a rivet came out of the sheath. Again not too bothered. But now another rivet has come loose and I'm worried the whole things gonna fall apart. Short of having a new sheath made (a tempting but costly option) is there anything I can do? Does anyone know of anyone who'd have spare sheaths for sale?
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Josh

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is it not salvageable with a couple of new rivets and a bit of stitching Josh ??

Then again there are some nice handmade sheaths about

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Oh it's salvageable, but surely Gransfors have a guarantee on their sheaths?

What, for an eight year old sheath? Wear n' tear, mate.
I've never thought the Gransfors sheaths particularly good, anyway (always a bit of a wiggle to get the axe back in without nicking the leather). It would not cost a fortune to have a saddler make something more substantial.

Burnt Ash

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They aren't worth a fiver!

I've never understood the logic where people are willing to buy a good leather sheath for a Mora that costs a tenner but not for a mask for an axe that costs 4 times that. All my axes have been re-masked in proper hand stiched leather.

There are many on here that can make beautiful axe masks - my mind is immediately drawn to topknot's masterpiece work - I would of said Singteck who did mine (but he's gone back to Malaysia) but Leon1, Mike DB, Dougster and many others could make a mask worthy of the axe. I'm sure GBwould replace it, but, being fair, you have had your money's worth. They are great at replacing problem axes and its incumbent on us to respect that.

I have an old Scandinavian Forest Axe GB mask that is yours for a donation to H4H (whatever you feel appropriate)

Red

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
Hi all thanks for all the advice. I would love to have a replacement sheath made, but at the moment the cost is prohibitive, plus it'll no doubt get bashed a fair bit in my rucksack. Maybe if I get a nice new axe for Christmas (if the wife lets me!). I've found someone who'll sell me a new one for £8, which I think is pretty good. Thanks again,
Josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE