gb hunters or foresters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The hunter's axe has some grooving on the handle for grip, a polished poll for flaying and a straighter handle for use reversed to use poll to remove hide. The edges are pretty much the same as sfa - not steeply bevelled as with most axes used to split moose backbones. So both are fine for woods use.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I heard some people being anoid of the ruff unfinished feel of the wood on the hunter, its thought that you dont slip with the hands while having hands full of blood otherwise they are the same axes if I am not mistaken.

I would buy the Forester myself.

cheers
Abbe

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I purchased a hunter because all the forest axes had been sold I now have both a hunter and forest axe (greedy me) and find they perform the same, My hunter is prettier though :D :D

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I've heard from some that the poll geometry of the hunter's axe makes it all but impossible to drive nails that may be used in some types of shelter building --
http://woodsdrummer.com/invitation.html -- see Day 5 discussion. If you don't think you'll have the need to drive nails or hammer anything, I agree with others here that the hunters axe has a nicer visual appeal if that's worth anything in the wild. I've struggled with the same decision but since I don't think I'm going to have to flay a deer or moose on any of my hikes, I'll stick to the SFA!

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Really? I seem to put a lot more force into the axe splitting oak and ash than I ever would tapping a few nails into a sapling to rig a shelter. I'd think if the eye could hold up to to a full body swing of the axe into oak, ash, or maple without distorting the eye, it could hold up to a swing from the elbow driving an 8 penny nail. Of course, I've never seen you swing a hammer either!!!! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE