Gas Bottle Log Burner...

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Guys,

I have been thinking of making a gas bottle log burner for a long time, but without the tools to do it, i'm a bit stuffed!! Is there anyone on here thats makes them to order? would rather have a recycled gas bottle which has been hand made over a mass-produced jobby. At home in Norfolk on a weekend and working in Lincs during the week so anyone in these counties would be really handy.

If this is in the wrong section, apologies and feel free to move it moderators.

PS - Autumn is here and the larder that is the woods out the back of my house is chocker with bounty....I love this time of year!!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Started to made one up for a mate , this is how far i got before the wife started shouting about
A DIY VASECTOMY
img1888ua.jpg

(Not not try this at home its dangerous)

Cheers Topknot.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Thinking about starting the same project. Just need the empty gas bottle. Ill follow this one closely, and learn from everyone else's mistakes :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I don't want to spoil the fun, but it doesn't have to be a gas bottle. If you're lacking the tools to cut one up then there are lots of other ways to make a wood burner (which might even be safer:)). Anything from a couple of tin cans to an old saucepan to a few bits of steel plate and some bricks to a couple of wheel rims (hopefully not alloy:)).

The people who first made things with clay, copper, bronze and iron did so with practically nothing, and they made all kinds of interesting and useful artifacts. A lot of bushcraft is about improvisation. In a survival situation especially, if you don't have the tools you'd really like to have then you have no choice but to make do.

If I wanted to make a wood burner with no tools, I think I'd start experimenting with clay. If you need inspiration you can look at one in B&Q. Be careful if you light one when it's wet, porous clay isn't microwave safe.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I don't want to spoil the fun, but it doesn't have to be a gas bottle. If you're lacking the tools to cut one up then there are lots of other ways to make a wood burner (which might even be safer:)). Anything from a couple of tin cans to an old saucepan to a few bits of steel plate and some bricks to a couple of wheel rims (hopefully not alloy:)).

The people who first made things with clay, copper, bronze and iron did so with practically nothing, and they made all kinds of interesting and useful artifacts. A lot of bushcraft is about improvisation. In a survival situation especially, if you don't have the tools you'd really like to have then you have no choice but to make do.

If I wanted to make a wood burner with no tools, I think I'd start experimenting with clay. If you need inspiration you can look at one in B&Q. Be careful if you light one when it's wet, porous clay isn't microwave safe.

he's right you know,..

i feel quite ashamed and slightly lazy now,...

i have no gas for the mig, is that a good enough excuse?

ha ha

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Commercially made ones start at £80 at Machinemart
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/cast-iron-stoves-2/page/1

£79.98ex. VAT
£93.98inc.VATproduct: 090310030
Clarke Potbelly - Standard Size Cast Iron Stove
The ideal stove for smaller spaces.The cast iron Pot Belly stove is designed to have a really big burning volume compared to its size. It can burn coal, wood and off-cuts, waste wood etc making it a very economical way to heat your home....

a lot cheaper than I thought

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you could use an ammo tin and turn that into a stove with minimal tools..... they are also next to nout to buy, or get some squaddi to nab you one.......

the best ones would be a morta ammo tin, they are bigger but just depends what size you want the burner.........

Started to made one up for a mate , this is how far i got before the wife started shouting about
A DIY VASECTOMY
img1888ua.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

its not actually that dangerous jsut make sure its as empty as possible so plug it in and burn till the flame goes out etc
if its got an on off tap open it

once empty a sharp tap as the photo to loosen it and the valve will screw out (might be left hand thread tho ;) )

stand it on its handle for a bit you can fill with water if you like and empty then its jsut a lump of metal

ATB

Duncan

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
A DIY VASECTOMY
img1888ua.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

Made a furnace from one a while ago....an added safeguard is to:

1. Open the tap and leave it upside down overnight.....this gas is heavier than air so sinks....
  2. Unscrew or cut off the tap at the top (You are cutting brass so no sparks) (Also some bottles have a grab handle that unbolts, these enable better access to the main valve)
  3. With the valve removed, fill the borttle with water until it overflows...
  4. Empty water from bottle

You now have no gas in the bottle and can cut away with a disk grinder or similar....without getting an overwhelming feeling of well-being just prior to it going dark :lmao:

Cheers
Tom

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Here's a really basic one I did a few years back, I am going to have another go at one next year hopefully, I have about three or four bottles ready.

Making a GAS BOTTLE STOVE

So what materials do you need to make your stove?

1, An empty gas bottle, a 19Kg bottle is about the right size.

2, 150mm of 50mm steel pipe.

3, 150mm of 100mm steel pipe.

4, Two steel hinges.

That will do for starters, you can add bits to the list depending on your design.

What tools and equipment to you need to build your stove?

1, Electric drill.

2, Electric stick welder (you can use Mig or gas if thats what you have)

3, Electric Jigsaw ( unless you have a friend with a Plasma cutter or an air saw)

4, Selection of drill bits and hole-saws

What you need to do.

FIRSTLY, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE CORRECT SAFETY KIT!

You are going to need, Goggles, Welding mask, gloves and appropriate clothing.

Avoid wearing nylon when welding as it melts if you get sparks on it!

Also make sure you have a FIRST AID KIT to hand, just in case you cut yourself, burn yourself or injure yourself in any other way you can think of!

It is useful to have stored your gas bottle upside down with the valve open for several days before you start as this should clear the bottle of any gas left in it.

stove1.jpg

1. Mark the holes on the bottle for the FLUE PIPE, MAIN DOOR and AIR-SUPPLY PIPE. Flue at the TOP REAR, Air-supply at the BOTTOM 90 deg round from the flue, make sure you do these on the straight sides of the bottle away from the top and bottom curves. The main door should be on the opposite side to the flue.

2. Drill out your Flue pipe and Air-supply pipe holes with the appropriate hole saws.

stove2.jpg

3. Drill a hole in each corner of your Main door position, this is so you can get the jigsaw blade in.

4. Using the Jigsaw cut out the main door, ensuring you have your safety goggles on and gloves if necessary.

stove3.jpg

So now you need to put all the components together, for this you will need your welding kit, Don't forget to have your safety gear to hand.

You will need gloves, welding vizor and your first aid kit.

First thing to get on to your stove is the front door, so tack the hinges to the door first, and then on to the side of the gas bottle. Make sure you only tack them to start with as you may need to re-position them so that the door shuts properly.

stove4.jpg

You may also want tocheck that the door opens wide as well so that it is easier to get the fuel in when the time arrives.

stove5.jpg

So, now you have your door on you may wish to give it a smoke test, to do this I cleaned the lint filter in the tumble drier, put it in the chamber and set it alight. Shut the door and see if the smoke goes out of the flue hole and not the air inlet or the door.

stove6.jpg

Next to go on are the flue spigot and air intake pipe.

stove7.jpg

So the main components are all together on the stove, so nows a good time to move it to somewhere fire-proof to give it a trial. So fit your flue pipe and secure it in position. Get some kindling and firewood together and start your fire in the bottom of the stove.

stove8.jpg

Get a fire going and shut the door, hopefully a good fire will result, with air being drawn in from the bottom air intake the smoke should easily flow from the flue.

stove9.jpg

Keep a good fire going and it will start toburn off the external paint from the old gas bottle.

stove11.JPG

After about 20 minutes most of the paint will have burnt off, a wire brush will help to shift it!

stove12.JPG

So, you now have a stove that is near enough bare metal, a good coat of stove black will make it look better. Before you do that there are a number of extras that can be added such as handles and a hot plate for a kettle!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE