Garmin e-Trex H - any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Morning all,
I have the opportunity to snap up one of these 2nd hand; i've read into its limitations (no separate compass function, can't load in maps, will have to shell out another £20 for the cable :/ ) but want to know if anyone else has used one and what their opinions are...

Its this one - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8705

etrex_h_big.jpg

Cheers

Col

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
The "H" in the name makes it a highly sensitive sensor which makes it accurate. Good.
The bad is this thing doesn't have USB connection so impossible to connect onto any modern day computer. The link above is for a serial connection which are typically not available on computers nowadays. Manually entering coordinates is a massive undertaking. Bad.
Compass isn't needed on a GPS. Once you start moving and the device can figure out where it's going it will provide you with a bearing, hence it does act as a compass as long as you are moving. Good.
Garmin maps are often of bad quality. You're not missing out on that. Good.
You don't need a barometer for altitude neither. Each GPS device is capable of calculating its height. It may not display it but it knows the height, just like it knows your position. Think of it as a 3D position. I believe however when you store a waypoint it will display the height of that waypoint. So you can get a reading after all. Good.

So good accurate sensor as with all new generation Garmin GPS (first gen was horrible in the woods) with absolutely obsolete and worthless PC connectivity.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I bought a second hand lead,downloaded the driver, installed no problem plug in lead “bing bong” new device working, turn on Garmin “bing bong” new device working on Com port 3 turn on Mem. map – click GPS - No device found on Com port 1, into set up, Com port 1 showing in box with up and down arrows to change port, but all greyed out ! played about in set up all seemed OK, played about in Device manager all Ok. I got Teddy to sort it out,, both the computer and Mem. map thought a USB device had been plugged in ! when in actual fact it’s a serial device just pretending, changed Mem. map input to serial, Com port box un-greys two clicks to Com port 3 suddenly there’s a circle around our house on the map, just thought I'd share, and it's superb in thick fog where you can't see anything to compass bearing on, and after you get back you can plot your tracks on the map :-
http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/02/plan-b-four-teddys-of-gragareth.html
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE