A question for gardeners in Devon

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
If you google there are edible cover crop mixes that may be a good starting point then you could add some of your own seeds like a hardy broad bean, perennial kale, a robust edible squash and even a short sunflower. With all the forage maize grown around us this year I'd like to track down a hardy sweetcorn that would grow readily without much care.
Oddly enough broad beans, squash, sweetcorn and sunflowers (Jerusalem artichokes) were exactly the types of crops that I had considered myself already.
 
I meant the big flowing sunflowers, grown for seed. You can sometimes see them grown in flower mixes so some should cope with being thrown in a field. You want a short variety in a windy field.

Jerusalem artichokes should do well, do you like them though? They may do too well and be hard to remove if you go off them. I also found deer love the greenery.

Another thing to think about is peas, not necessarily for the pods but many can be grown for their edible shoots.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HorseGuy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE