Gap tree felled!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well I hope whoever is responsible is sentenced to planting and looking after a few 1000 trees.

Whilst I obviously agree it's wrong I also find the uproar over a single tree strange when so many are felled without much concern. Fairly local the A361 is being widened a bit and 1000s of mature trees have been uprooted which were growing a fair distance from the road. All done by the department of climate change and transport! :banghead: Its little wonder many people dont care about trees.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't understand it at all, but unfortunately we are a very destructive species especially when equiped with the right tools. There are way too many right tools as well. I remember having a discussion with the developers of a new estate as to what they were doing to mitigate the loss of trees and I was entertained to a large scale planting plan. Oh yeah but I have seen that planting wither away through neglect and simple vandalism. I saw one of the trees that had been planted just sawed through presumably because the new householder who bought one of those properties did not want it in his view.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Weirdly I was thinking about that tree yesterday and that it was sad but true it wouldn’t be there forever. I didn’t expect it to die by chainsaw that’s for sure.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Having just seen images on the news I doubt a 16 year old has the skill or knowledge to fell a tree that size so cleanly.
My thoughts exactly, this isn't someone who has popped to b and q or been on eBay for a cheap chainsaw, someone with knowledge did this, and the 16yo is just the patsy

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
someone with knowledge did this, and the 16yo is just the patsy
I saw somewhere a pic of the cut, no great skill used there just cut across. A 16 year old is easily capable of doing it (the basic using of chain saw is easy, done it most of my life).

Reactions: FerlasDave

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I hope it resprouts.
Thats a good point actually, bloke at work was complaining about sycamore recently. Saying that whenever he cuts one down it regrows from around the base.
In effect coppicing so it might well.
Could be kind of a symbol of rebirth or something.
It might even extend the life of the tree in a way.

I was up there not that long ago, IIRC its not that far from a house.
Doubt a 16 year old would travel far carrying a chainsaw and they're not the nicest things to cart about on a moped.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I was thinking that earlier. It is a terrible thing to cut the tree down but where was the press coverage and outrage when they felled 15 hectares of 400 year old ancient woodland along the HS2 route.
Agreed. Maybe we need all the trees to star in a film and the country will notice? Sadly too late though….

Just one of thousands cut for HS2:

7-C085110-84-E6-4-FE2-8-A94-B1-C2-AA52-E8-AE.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My thoughts exactly, this isn't someone who has popped to b and q or been on eBay for a cheap chainsaw, someone with knowledge did this, and the 16yo is just the patsy
Young farmers are pretty resourceful, my farmer mates were driving tractors before age ten.
I'd de-railed a small loco before I was eight, fortunately my brother lifted it back onto its tracks with a mechanical grab on a 360 machine.

Could easy be a young lad acting on the dislike of tourists round the area. Plus at about that age kids aren't right good at seeing the consequences of their actions before they do it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Having just seen images on the news I doubt a 16 year old has the skill or knowledge to fell a tree that size so cleanly.
I know a person that young who would have made a much better hinge cut, bucked up the tree understanding tension vs compression, used a telehandler to load the sectioned trunk into a trailer and driven it away with a tractor.

Young people can understand practical skills just as easily as academic learning if given the opportunity

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well I hope whoever is responsible is sentenced to planting and looking after a few 1000 trees.

Whilst I obviously agree it's wrong I also find the uproar over a single tree strange when so many are felled without much concern. Fairly local the A361 is being widened a bit and 1000s of mature trees have been uprooted which were growing a fair distance from the road. All done by the department of climate change and transport! :banghead: Its little wonder many people dont care about trees.
That is a life sentence and one I am happy to serve out. When you look at what HS2 have done compared to this, you have to ask who are the bigger criminals, even my local Council continue to massacre trees under the pretence of management and safety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE