game pies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
just thought i'd show some pics of some game pie's i made over Christmas,consisting of roe deer, rabbit,pheasant,mallard,pigeon and squirrel and homemade roe deer sausage meat,the pastry is water crust, and the recipe is from gordon ramsey.

hugh fearnly better lookout :D

bernie

Picture11410.jpg

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
looking good there bernie. any chance of a recipie or lonk to one? wouldn't mind giving that a go myself

mark

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Aye Id like to see a recipe or a link. Me n my old man had game pie on boxing day with puff pastry, bitta chicken stock, oxo cubes, pheasant, partridge, pidgeon and venison. Pretty basic, although good tasting, but I'd like to know a more conventional recipe.

Nice looking pies :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
BTW I spotted that Sainsburys were selling Partridge just before Xmas, I had already done my food shopping so didn't get one.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
BTW I spotted that Sainsburys were selling Partridge just before Xmas, I had already done my food shopping so didn't get one.
I did - 2 for £6
Went in with the venison, wild boar, pheasent guinness and port for a stew for New Years Eve

Belting

Nick

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ah lovely link thanks.

The price of game in supermarkets is pretty hefty though. I think a whole wood pidgeon was £4.99 or somthing ridiculous like that. Best thing to do is shoot them yourself or have an ask around a bit n people usually buy too many pheasants n you get one free as we did or you can find small sellers in farm shops. Support the small businesses!

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Ah lovely link thanks.

The price of game in supermarkets is pretty hefty though. I think a whole wood pidgeon was £4.99 or somthing ridiculous like that. Best thing to do is shoot them yourself or have an ask around a bit n people usually buy too many pheasants n you get one free as we did or you can find small sellers in farm shops. Support the small businesses!

Shoots are getting flumpence a brace from the game dealers for pheasants at the moment. I am usually offered more than I can use for buckshee. If you're prepared to deal with the birds 'in the feather', approach a local shoot and make a modest offer. You'll probably get an excellent deal and especially if you can take a few brace off them. Pheasants are a pain in the cloaca to pluck properly and these days I mostly just skin them and joint the carcasses for casseroles.

I was emptying the wheelbarrow onto the dung heap behind the stables half an hour ago and counted six squirrels in one tree. They go well in a mixed 'poacher's pie', with pheasant, pigeon, rabbit, duck, etc. Prunes and/or apricots are really worthwhile additions to game stews and pies, BTW, as are red wine and/or port.

Burnt Ash

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
They look delicious bernie cut and pasted the recipe I think i'll have a go with pigeon rabbit and squirrel with a little thickened mushroom stock

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah we essentially made a game stew n shoved a lump of puff pastry that we cooked seperate on top. I failed to mention that we did plop a huge glug of red wine into it. Its the best thing with game - a large splash of red wine.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
if any local to me, want a brace of pheasant or two for there pies,I'm beating again next Wednesday and the pheasant are £1 a brace, pm me if you want some and i'll sort it.and if needed show you how to skin ,pluck and clean them.

bernie

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Went to Tescos today and guess what, they are selling diced game mix Pheasant venison and partridge 2.99 per pk I've never eaten partridge have you if you have what does it taste like

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Went to Tescos today and guess what, they are selling diced game mix Pheasant venison and partridge 2.99 per pk I've never eaten partridge have you if you have what does it taste like

It tastes like partridge. Very nice, but different to chicken, pheasant, grouse or duck. Buy a brace to roast and try them. Then you'll know. There is no compulsion to buy more every week thereafter.

The native grey partridge has suffered from habitat destruction and modern farming practices. I personally have some qualms about shooting/eating them (also snipe, woodcock). The imported red-legged partridge (French partridge) is similar and a bit easier to look after from the game keeper's point of view (I gather). Both a great to eat.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE