Fur hammock mat

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Eyup ;) anyone tried using a fur pad for the hammock ? I've a load of coats I'm cutting up for a project and have decided to test the thermal properties of a fur mat. Just trying to decide on a suitable backing ? Pertex? Wool? Fleece ? I use a sheepskin normally but it doesn't work aswell I'm my UKHammock due to asym lay. So I'm keen to try summat different.
ejepa6a4.jpg

sagehuba.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have seen a nice mat made from a fur coat the person also had a mini one for the dog. I fancy such an item would add a touch of much needed luxurious decadence to a Gelert Solo tent.
Must keep my eyes open for an old fur coat

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sounds good, I'm using a mink first and then if it feels like it could provide enough insulation, a fox fur or similar. Idea is to be able to avoid an inflatable mat or a bulky winter bag.
The sheepskin mat works well in a travel hammock but not in my ukhammock due to the diagonal lay.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good t'ear, I'm not three bad cheers.
Sounds plush....I just can't get my fur to lay under me :( it would be fine for a regular hammock lay
7y5uge5u.jpg

Just not for a horizontal lay . Is have to make it twice my width and longer ? Just this 5x2 weighs a ton as it is lol
egysymur.jpg

And fur side down is slippier than an eel in oil :what:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Just to stop it slipping how about a bit of hair spray, it's little more than an adhesive. I have used it on cable bundles in the past and it keeps them from slipping too much you get a little not much. OR a totally untested thought, but that head wax stuff they sell in the hair accessory's section of the super market it's washable and sticks stuff prity stiff.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just to stop it slipping how about a bit of hair spray, it's little more than an adhesive. I have used it on cable bundles in the past and it keeps them from slipping too much you get a little not much. OR a totally untested thought, but that head wax stuff they sell in the hair accessory's section of the super market it's washable and sticks stuff prity stiff.

Don't fancy using it on my best hammock, but I know where your coming from with the idea. Cheers

Notq used fur but in winter i have a 6foot sheep skin i line my hammock with very warm and cumfy with the quilt and UB.

I use a sheepskin too without an underblanket. But not in my ukhammock. I'm experimenting , so that I won't need an ub. Cheers

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You could fix it to a roll mat, bit of stitching, by hand or machine, roll it up after use.
I have a couple of fur jackets I was thinking of using for the same reason.
Let up know how it turns out.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Idea is to have it fur side down for winter sleeping, fur side up for summer lounging.i reckon I need to just double the width so it doesn't matter if it slips a bit.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Would a few strips of silicon sealant smeared across the skin side help to keep it in place chap?

The skin side is lined with material, but I'm going to sleep on that one and consider removing the liner. Cheers

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i use a reindeer skin winter meets in my hennessy, same issue here on the diagonal. considering using one of those double fleecy bed underblankets just as a wraparound over my bag, no cold spots on the thighs, shoulders hopefully.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE